Can a rt tablet be upgraded to real windows like the pro?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
If you have a windows 8 PC you can look in the store. If the app description page says "ARM" under supported processors than it will run on Windows RT

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
First of all Windows RT is real Windows, just that it is compiled for ARM. The restriction here, basically that you cannot side load x86 (desktop) apps is a limitation imposed by the processor architecture not by Windows (RT).
That having said, almost all Store apps are compiled for both* ARM and x86 and are therefore usable on Windows RT.

*I would assume that less than 1/1000 of all apps are compiled "ARM only" or "x86 only".

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
First of all Windows RT is real Windows, just that it is compiled for ARM. The restriction here, basically that you cannot side load x86 (desktop) apps is a limitation imposed by the processor architecture not by Windows (RT).
That having said, almost all Store apps are compiled for both* ARM and x86 and are therefore usable on Windows RT.

*I would assume that less than 1/1000 of all apps are compiled "ARM only" or "x86 only".

tell your boss its 'real windows' while you're explaining how "all those apps you want just need recompiled for arm" .

AntL85

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Cruncher04 is correct and Windows 8 RT actually is real Windows but for ARM processors.
ohgood is also correct cause the "boss" is just a pencil pusher and not an engineer or programmer.

The difference from Windows 8 RT(ARM) and Windows 8 Pro(x86) is the architecture used for the processor. All of our traditional legacy applications going way back to DOS was built for the x86 architecture such as Intel and AMD. So unless it gets recompiled then the legacy app you want to use wont work and you will have to buy a Windows 8 Pro(x86) tablet to do what you want. Another solution though its not the best is to jailbreak and get an emulator. Just jump on Google :eck: or Bing :smile: and do a search. You will find a mountain of information on this topic.

EDIT: Also to note cause I have seen some people get confused or misled by a few details with Windows RT tablets and what it can actually do. I do also reconmend using some sort of USB hub or splitter for desktop level of performance if that is your desire(Belkin has two very good hubs and USBFirewire has a good splitter).
*You can use the USB port for the Xbox Controllers(wired is plug and play, wireless has a small setup and two controllers can be used at the same time that I know of). Other joysticks and gamepads outside of Microsoft should work using the Xbox drivers but I have not seen it yet.
*External mice and keyboards(wired using a hub and wireless best used with a unifying receiver) and a printer can also be used through the USB(wired for plug and play, wireless on network printing).
*External optical drives(DVD for example) can also be used in the USB port but NOT to install x86 applications, drivers, and other software. The external drive can be used for loading pictures, videos, music, rom's, documents and any other personal files from back up's. It is possible to play DVD and BD movies from the external drive but that will require a player capable of reading the movies which will eventually come.
*Remote Desktop is the best part cause you can still have a connection with your desktop as we always been able to and can work or even play games on Steam and as powerful as Crysis.
*HDMI hub's also from what I have seen support's up to four HDTV's and has them displaying in separate desktop environments for more ease of multitasking.

All in all I can see Windows RT tablets being a low cost solution for personal computing with desktop performance easily. For most things I don't even use my desktop anymore and enjoy the comfort of my sofa. I am also glad Windows is on ARM now cause we don't have to worry anymore about all those damn spywares and virus' that has plagued Windows.

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Really tired of hearing people say "real Windows" like The Surface and Surface 2 somehow run "fake Windows" ARM tablets cannot run your legacy x86 applications, only modern Windows Store apps. You can't run a program compiled to run on one chip architecture on another.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Really tired of hearing people say "real Windows" like The Surface and Surface 2 somehow run "fake Windows" ARM tablets cannot run your legacy x86 applications, only modern Windows Store apps. You can't run a program compiled to run on one chip architecture on another.

there are three different consumer operating systems with "windows" in the advertised name. poor marketing , and poor naming scheme caused the issue. once folks start calling one version 'real' and the other 'tablet' our whatever, it's hard to make them stop.

look at iOS vs Mac osx. XP embedded vs XP professional, SuSE SPARC vs Ubuntu x86.... very different naming schemes, most folks understand there is a difference.

Microsoft would do much better to choose differing names for its operating systems. metro was on the right path, to distinguish it from the desktop and embedded OS's.

give them time, they'll get it right eventually

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett