Thinking about getting the Surface RT

nakialj

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Cant afford the Surface 2 and i cant afford the Surface Pro 2. Is the Surface RT any good?

Sent from my SCH-R740C using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What are you planning to use your tablet for? Do you already have a desktop or laptop PC? Do you need to run any legacy x86 programs?

dr3wster

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Depends what you want to use the device for.. If you're happy with just using office and internet explorer then you will be happy.. Just remember that the metro apps (windows store) selection is very limited and u can't run traditional x86 desktop apps or even a third party Web browser (at this point of time). Things will improve on the app front over time. If u are still ok with RT limitations, I would save for the surface 2 if I were u.. I have rt and the surface 2 and performance differences are huuuuge. The other option is u can get the Surface Pro 1 at a massive discount right now.

Sent from my XT1058

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely love it. My computer does what a surface pro needs to do, and the RT does what a tablet needs to do, plus a tad bit more. Get it, I love mine.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Save for Surface 2 or get a different full Windows tablet. Surface RT was/is capable of a lot, but it simply wasn't blessed with much processing power. Speed is not it's strong point.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
no. do not buy any ARM windows tablet they are deadend junks.
save up for a x86 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 Pro 64 GB ($299) or save even more for the Surface Pro 2 128 GB.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
The Surface RT is not dead-end. For me I wouldn't want a tablet with screen less than 10 inches and a keyboard to use when I needed it. The next versions are in the works at MS.
I like my 32GB RT. Just got it last Wed from ebay. The seller sold about 2000 of them for $179, refurbished, all gone now. They still have the 64GB for $249.
64GB Microsoft Surface RT Tablet | eBay
From my Surface RT

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
To best explain the Surface RT need you should ask your self this:

Does a iPad* with Microsoft Office solves your problems?

Now I know many will argue that the Surface RT doesn't have as much apps, but I can tell you that the browser on the Surface RT is way more capable.

*The use of an iPad is to simply demonstrate the inability to run legacy apps.

And, if I were you, I will save some cash, and get the Surface 2 why buy something released in 2012.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
First off I have no idea why James8561 has that feeling for RT, however each to their own.

I very much enjoy my Surface RT very much !!! I got mine after the Surface RT 2 came out, so the price was in my range. I have used it to replace an older Samsung N150 Netbook and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (2012 model).

The Surface RT 1st Gen is not the fastest, latest, newest, greatest, however I knew that when I bought it. It has surprised me as to what it can do.

I use it as a laptop replacement, because it has better battery life then Samsung, and can do everything the netbook did for me.

Just a small list of what my Surface RT has attached sitting on my desk.

2 x 4 Port USB Hubs, in a chain, so I have a total of 7 USB ports ( A D-Link Powered Hub and a Staples non powered Hub ), both cost less then $35 together
2.4 Ghz Wireless Keyboard and Mouse compact combo ( were from my Acer Revo 3610 bedroom computer), no cost but added value to me for ease of use of Surface.
iHome Bluetooth Pill Speakers, from Walmart on sale less then $15 ( Wonderful sound for the price, at full volume the bass shakes the pill around)
Xbox 360 Control for game play.....in Asphalt 7 &8 vibration works well.
Prints to and Scans from a Cannon MG 5520 WiFi Printer/Scanner
Syncs with my Nokia Lumia 1020, also charges via the powered hub.
Can sync with my Cannon A2600 digital point and shoot, and my Sony Handycam for HD video ( as well as charge it).

AT some point, and this is my wish....my LG DVD RW will be fully supported in RT, as I can only read images from CD and DVD, as well as play only some of my DVD collection on my Surface, but not via any app. Maybe we will get DVD play support soon.

Now not to dump on any other device or tablet.....if you were to grab a Surface RT that was on ebay as a Refurbished for around $169 - $180, or even from the Microsoft Store for $299 ( both have full year coverage).
I would say you have a heck of a Tablet !!!!!!!!!!!

The Surface RT is what I kept over a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, as I didn't take to it and sold it.

nakialj

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I know that the Surface RT released in 2012 i havent had a surface before so i just wanted to ask about the device. I do own a Dell venue 8 pro the problem i have with the tablet is it gets too hot while surf the web and do important stuff on it.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I know that the Surface RT released in 2012 i havent had a surface before so i just wanted to ask about the device. I do own a Dell venue 8 pro the problem i have with the tablet is it gets too hot while surf the web and do important stuff on it.

Well as long as you understand that the Surface RT will not run x86 Apps, then you could use an RT for basic use. Keep the Dell for x86 Support items and to warm your hands on cold winter nights. :)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Once you've made the decision that Windows RT can accommodate your needs, then it depends upon your budget and if you can get a good price on the Surface RT. If you can wait a while (3-4 months) you may be able to find an RT for as low as $125 though any price under $200 is good. During that time it is possible that the Surface 3 (3rd gen RT) may be announced.

In my opinion, and it is simply that, my opinion, the Surface 2 was a rushed "placeholder" to address some of the shortcomings of the 1st gen. I believe that the Surface 3 will be the model that brings it all together. My recommendation is a cheap RT or wait for the Surface 3.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Once you've made the decision that Windows RT can accommodate your needs, then it depends upon your budget and if you can get a good price on the Surface RT. If you can wait a while (3-4 months) you may be able to find an RT for as low as $125 though any price under $200 is good. During that time it is possible that the Surface 3 (3rd gen RT) may be announced.

In my opinion, and it is simply that, my opinion, the Surface 2 was a rushed "placeholder" to address some of the shortcomings of the 1st gen. I believe that the Surface 3 will be the model that brings it all together. My recommendation is a cheap RT or wait for the Surface 3.

I have to disagree, I think Microsoft is loosing money on the surface 2 in order to make it more popular, the huge amount of specs thrown in there doesn't match the price tag.

And whenever you see a device that has a price tag lower than the hardware's cost, get it. An example of this strategy, the first model of every PlayStation generation.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think once the Surface 3 is launched and hits the stores, the price on a 1st gen will bottom out, and the Surface 2 on Refurb will become very interesting!!!!

If they Launch a Mini it could also split the Pro market, and take the attention away from a 3......which could also mean after 6 months you may see a big price cut on the 3 RT.

If your looking to save a few bucks on new tech, I would wait and see. However I do understand the desire to run launch day and grab the newest, latest, greatest.

It's just the Scottish side of me will be looking hard at the Surface 2 when 3 starts to roll.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have to disagree, I think Microsoft is loosing money on the surface 2 in order to make it more popular, the huge amount of specs thrown in there doesn't match the price tag.

And whenever you see a device that has a price tag lower than the hardware's cost, get it. An example of this strategy, the first model of every PlayStation generation.
Microsoft is not losing money on the Surface 2. It is only slightly less than the original RT and the specs wouldn't drive the cost up beyond a point where a profit could be made. It is selling at their targeted price point. Microsoft's earnings report shows no further losses with regard to the Surface.

The Surface 2 is in significantly shorter supply than the RT. If they were trying to sell them to make them more popular, it is an epic fail because they are so scarce.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I originally held off on getting a Surface RT tablet because of what people like to say about them.
So I dropped almost $300 on a Lenovo 10" tablet with Android.
Lenovo is high quality build in general.

Anyway I was soon frustrated because it's still basically ANDROID which can't honestly multi task webpages, videos playing on web pages etc.
I'm a guy who listens to some shows on youtube and I like to go to other browser tabs and apps while still listening.
But you can not with Android unless you install a 3rd party app to work around that severe handicap. And then it only works half ***.

I finally went and bought the 1st generation Surface RT.
It can bog sometimes if you don't reset after some updates, etc but other than that I love it and it is night and day better than using a tablet with a silly handicapped Android (or Apple mobile) operating system.

The Internet Explorer opens pretty much any website and any video and I am able to use REMOTE DESKTOP to run my home Windows 7 PC almost as if I am there.
Even using programs like Photoshop via remote.

I added shortcuts to the desktop screen so it has the familiar shortcuts to the hard drive and certain folders like pictures and videos and I pinned some programs like the Windows Snipping Tool to the task bar so they are right there.

Speaking of folders and files, you can DRAG AND DROP multiple files from one folder to another or to a network folder.
Fat chance doing that on Android. Androids file folder system is very limited in compare and no drag and drop.

I use my surface every day and at lunchtime at work I plug in Bluetooth headphones and a USB mouse and use it just like a PC multi tasking away with videos playing and doing all sorts of stuff.

I got one of my daughter's a Nokia 822 and that older phone seems more responsive than my newer Samsung Galaxy S4 in some ways.

I'd like to get a Nokia 1020 or the likes if they'd come to Verizon.

Anyway. Long story short. I held off buying the Surface RT for months because of all the jerks who flat out LIE about the Surface RT. Seriously, 99% of the youtube Surface RT reviews are biased and don't dare show you what it CAN do that Android can not.

Now my 7 yr old daughter has my Lenovo Tablet I spent nearly $300 on. :eck:

I bought my wife a refurbished Surface RT for $250 and my 18 year old daughter got lucky on black Friday when I talked Fry's Electronics into price matching their very last Surface Tablet for $199!
So for $199 or even $299, the Surface RT tablet is MUCH BETTER than being stuck with a half a$$ Android or way over priced iPad

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've completely stopped using my iPad since I got an RT. I just do general stuff. Check out the internet and a little document work.

I love it.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Since you have a Dell venue 8 pro keep in mind, that the original Surface is much slower than both Surface 2 and the Dell. When you want to have a Surface comparable with Dell performance you would need to get a Surface 2. Just saying...not that you are disappointed with your purchase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire