Anyone else think Skype Wifi is a disappointment ?

aw50me

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, just some thoughts on the Free skype Wifi i got with my Surface 2

As a business traveller i'm in and out of airports almost every week, i like the surface tablets and was eventually sold on the the Surface 2 because of the 200GB skydrive and Free Skype Wifi offer
I thought this would be cool, i could use my work email on outlook without having to take out the company laptop and have a reasonable web browser to pass the time when delayed..

So 2 tablet replacements later for hardware defects (which is awful quality control in my opinion) i have a perfectly working surface 2 and started a long business trip last week..

So far i have learned from just my personal experience

1. I could not get free Skype Wifi to work at Newark airport (my main hub) on boingo.. but if i fired up my skype wifi account on my phone it was available for ~10c a minute
2. Pretty much didn't work at all of the airports i hit apart from Charlotte where it connected but only lasts for 30mins at a time.. and it is not selectable like in the paid version.
3. Won't work with US Air or continental Wifi provided on planes..

Everywhere else i went Wifi was free (Hotels, restaurants even some bars) so i didn't even need the app..

Just wondered if anyone else has had better experiences.. maybe i'm doing something wrong ? who knows.. but i do know both Microsoft support and Skype support can't tell where it should work and if there are any blackout spots...

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Nopes...I have had worse experiences with Skype Wifi given that I am based in the UK. There doesn't seem to be any Skype Wifi hotspots at all - or at least I have not been able to find any. But the 200GB SkyDrive has been excellent (aside from the few times that it had glitches - nothing major though).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire