Buying a one month old Surface RT. How to check its alright?

Donizback

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Hope you are having a great day :)
Guys I might be buying a one month old Surface RT in the next 3-4 hours. My question is, what are the most important thing I should see in that tablet? Some steps to fully understand that it is working fine?

P.S: This would be my first tablet ever so not sure what and how to check whether the tablet is working fine.

Thanks a lot for your time to read and reply me :)

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
With devices lately it's either '100% works' or 'doesn't even turn on'. Try accessing internet, connect to wifi, bluetooth, gps, observe how the battery drops in those 10 minutes when you check it out, very carefully look for scratches (with a magnifier! :D and demand discount for every one you find), try if anything rattles inside, try all the ports, and i mean all of them. Thoroughly. Charger, audio, hdmi, sd card I don't know what else it has. Check that the kickstand works fine, that it's not broken or anything, check for dust in ports, under the screen.
That's really all there is I guess. Everything else is software related and you will just factory reset everything anyway so you'll get a clean device. It's windows, it's kinda hard or impossible to fiddle with ROMs and bootloaders like on android, so if it turns on without a blue screen, it's fine.
Check that the serial number is still there, that it's not somehow hidden or filed off, demand the receipt and warranty papers. It's one month old, it's still under warranty, don't buy it without the receipt. You could even call the store and ask if everything is okay and stuff. Check serial numbers on the warranty papers and tablet as well.

That's just from the tip of my head, I'm sure you can think of something else :)

Donizback

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
With devices lately it's either '100% works' or 'doesn't even turn on'. Try accessing internet, connect to wifi, bluetooth, gps, observe how the battery drops in those 10 minutes when you check it out, very carefully look for scratches (with a magnifier! :D and demand discount for every one you find), try if anything rattles inside, try all the ports, and i mean all of them. Thoroughly. Charger, audio, hdmi, sd card I don't know what else it has. Check that the kickstand works fine, that it's not broken or anything, check for dust in ports, under the screen.
That's really all there is I guess. Everything else is software related and you will just factory reset everything anyway so you'll get a clean device. It's windows, it's kinda hard or impossible to fiddle with ROMs and bootloaders like on android, so if it turns on without a blue screen, it's fine.
Check that the serial number is still there, that it's not somehow hidden or filed off, demand the receipt and warranty papers. It's one month old, it's still under warranty, don't buy it without the receipt. You could even call the store and ask if everything is okay and stuff. Check serial numbers on the warranty papers and tablet as well.

That's just from the tip of my head, I'm sure you can think of something else :)
Thank you sir. You gave me a flavor of what I should be doing. He has taken a screenshot which shows the warranty of the RT but I shall demand a receipt too :)
By the way, if that guy factory resets and give me the RT, then would the it be running on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? Would I have to re-install all the updates or it is not deleted at the first place?

Thanks, :D

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
When your looking for scratches it helps to use the light on your phone to shine it on the glass as that will show marks that you wouldn't normally see. Also bring a microfiber cloth to clean the screen to check for marks.

It should still have 8.1 on it after a reset but I could be wrong as my RT came with 8.1

That said if it's only a month old shouldn't it have 8.1 from new. On the box with mine it had 8.1 wrote on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos