HI,

My Surface came into contact with a little water yesterday - and it was only a little, on one side. However, it now will not turn on.

The battery is fully charged, I have tried to turn it on while plugged in and not plugged in. I have attempted all documented recovery solutions such as holding the power button for 10seconds and then repeated pressing for 0.5 seconds.

My warrenty is expired and I do not wish to spend 125 to get the device replaced when I will probably replace it with the Surface 3 in November.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Can you help?

Kevin
    03-19-2014 04:09 AM
    I haven't experienced this, but any amount of water is easily lethal. If it had just happened, I'd recommend a one-hour hairdryer treatment. Suggestions you may not have tried would be a) letting it sit plugged in for several hours, and then try the power button multiple times, b) try disconnecting and connecting the keyboard -even multiple times. and power-up similarly, and finally c) try connecting a USB drive when plugged. I presume you don't have a USB recovery (Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space), but this may be helpful if there is a next time. Best of luck.
    03-20-2014 04:53 PM
    Does the light come on when you plug in the charger? If not, let it sit unplugged until the battery runs all the way down. I had a similar problem when mine was still under warranty, tried everything I could think of and find about how to recover it and nothing worked. Opted for the swap program and by the time the new surface arrived the battery had completely discharged so I decided to plug it in and check one last time before sending it off. The light came on when I connected the charger and sure enough it fired right up. Not sure if the issue would have returned or not since I got the replacement and have been using it since, but I left a note in the packaging explaining this so that when it arrived at the service center they might have a better idea of what the problem was.
    03-20-2014 07:40 PM
    Press and hold volume up (or down, I can't remember) along with the power button for 30 seconds and that will start the device no matter what if it truly is okay. Have to do this every now and then for customers
    03-20-2014 07:51 PM
    My daughter's RT just started doing this. Did the volume up + power for 30 seconds and that restarted it.

I wonder what causes this?
    03-22-2014 10:38 AM
    if you have an sd card installed try popping it out and powering it on. on multiple occasions my rt would be unresponsive until I pulled it out.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    RTGent likes this.
    03-24-2014 02:52 PM