I have a surface rt and I'm getting scared.Is it possible that there is a proccesor that works with the surface rt and is x86?
    04-22-2014 03:23 PM
    I have a surface rt and I'm getting scared.
    Is it possible that there is a processor that works with the surface rt and is x86?
    Welcome to WPC Shak.

?
    Why are you scared?
    You won't be able to change the processor in the RT to x86.
    Sorry
    04-22-2014 03:34 PM
    Not going to happen.
    In pretty much most devices at ultrabook level and below, you will be stuck with the hardware you get in general.

Replacing the CPU of the RT would simply make no sense especially as there are x86 tablets available for $200+

It's nigh impossible for the average Joe too, since that would require significant resources creating a custom chip. (I won't say its outright impossible) and it would make much more sense to just get a Surface Pro or other x86 tablet.

No reason to be scared, you HOPEFULLY got the RT knowing what you're getting, and we aren't talking about a situation similar to the HP Touchpad.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-22-2014 03:35 PM
    I have a surface rt and I'm getting scared.Is it possible that there is a proccesor that works with the surface rt and is x86?
    Current technology doesn't allow this, you are more than welcome to think of something, patent it, and get it onto the market though (asap). Great products come from great ideas. ;)
    04-22-2014 03:45 PM
    This is what you'd be dealing with:
    surface-board.jpg
    Image credit iFixit.com (Surface mainboard)
    calfee20 and xandros9 like this.
    04-22-2014 04:28 PM
    Well I'm only scared because I wasted 350$ :/ thanks anyways
    04-22-2014 04:43 PM
    Wasted?
    Not happy then?
    04-22-2014 04:53 PM
    You know Shak Shuck, it's comments like this that make me wonder about people. You say you have wasted $350 - how on earth is that possible. I would warrant that your Surface is doing everything that it was intended to do and likely doing them very well. If it is having a problem with something then I know that chatting with a Microsoft rep online will solve most issues and if they can't solve the issue they are more than willing to go above and beyond and replace the unit.

On my Surface 2 I had one small issue - the purple colouring from my type cover had started to transfer onto the housing at the upper edge of the unit where the camera lens sits. I contacted Microsoft not really expecting much and to my surprise they authorized a brand new replacement for me. I was able to just go into the Microsoft store near me and get the new one. That, in my opinion is excellent customer service on an excellent device.

We have 3 Surfaces in our house - 1 Pro 2, 1 Surface 2 and 1 Surface RT. All three of them work flawlessly. I have to say that they are some of the best devices that we have ever owned - and trust me we like our tech in our house! They have done everything that we have asked them to do and done it very well. None of us would trade our Surfaces in for something else at this point in time.
    vjh425 likes this.
    04-22-2014 05:16 PM
    Agreed. My Surface 2 has been a simply phenomenal device. Of course I won mine free and clear in the Twitter/Vine #remixproject contest, but had I spent my hard earned money on it, I'd have no buyer's remorse at all. I'd consider it money well spent! My girlfriend has an iPad and is very envious of my Surface 2 and all it can do... I'll be buying her her own Surface soon. A couple of my favorite things about the Surface 2; Remote Desktop and PLEX! Oh how awesome!
    04-22-2014 05:28 PM
    You know Shak Shuck, it's comments like this that make me wonder about people. You say you have wasted $350 - how on earth is that possible. I would warrant that your Surface is doing everything that it was intended to do and likely doing them very well. If it is having a problem with something then I know that chatting with a Microsoft rep online will solve most issues and if they can't solve the issue they are more than willing to go above and beyond and replace the unit.
    Wow. Amazing that you came to that judgment with very few facts.

We don't know why he is "scared". You have absolutely no idea how he came to own a Surface, but go ahead and jump to a conclusion.

On my Surface 2 I had one small issue - the purple colouring from my type cover had started to transfer onto the housing at the upper edge of the unit where the camera lens sits. I contacted Microsoft not really expecting much and to my surprise they authorized a brand new replacement for me. I was able to just go into the Microsoft store near me and get the new one. That, in my opinion is excellent customer service on an excellent device.

We have 3 Surfaces in our house - 1 Pro 2, 1 Surface 2 and 1 Surface RT. All three of them work flawlessly. I have to say that they are some of the best devices that we have ever owned - and trust me we like our tech in our house! They have done everything that we have asked them to do and done it very well. None of us would trade our Surfaces in for something else at this point in time.
    That's all well and good for you.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-22-2014 06:12 PM
    If Microsoft and NVIDIA would get their **** together and enable 5th power saving core support we would in effect get a processor upgrade
    04-22-2014 06:22 PM
    If $350 means so much to you, why wouldn't you research it before purchasing it?
    RajeevT likes this.
    05-09-2014 07:16 PM
    If Microsoft and NVIDIA would get their **** together and enable 5th power saving core support we would in effect get a processor upgrade
    How about they just update the bloody drivers, it's a crime that hasn't happened yet....and yes you're right.
    05-10-2014 04:04 PM
    How about they just update the bloody drivers, it's a crime that hasn't happened yet....and yes you're right.
    Maybe it's a driver issue, maybe a flaw in the Tegra chip. It wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft got burned by a bug in a Tegra chip.
    calfee20 and xandros9 like this.
    05-10-2014 08:03 PM
    Not only MS. Nvidia always over promises and under delivers.
    05-11-2014 02:22 PM
    I would wager a guess he thought the surface was capable of running x86 code (full windows) for $350 and felt it wasted because it cant (ARM vs x86)
    05-11-2014 02:29 PM
    Practically no tablets, or laptops for that matter, have the ability to upgrade the processor. You also generally aren't able to just drop in a processor of a completely different architecture into a computer. I feel like if someone feels that they wasted a lot of money on an RT device they should have done their due diligence to research what they want to do with the device before they bought it, or get it from a place with a return policy where they can evaluate the tablet for a week or two and return it if it doesn't work for them.
    05-22-2014 03:47 PM