How do I extract RAR5 archives?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I've tried most of the usual suspects in the Store, including free and paid with trial apps. Just in case I missed some, is there any Windows RT 8.1 app that can extract RAR5 archives (both with and without passwords)? No guess-work please, kindly let me know only if you're sure since I'm tired of downloading and testing and am hoping for a proper recommendation from the experts here. Thanks!

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

No need to use 8 zip lite, use 8 zip, or 8 zip Surface Edition (no difference other than a couple of UI tweaks) because last I checked, both were free. (they may have changed this by now in which case you may prefer the 'lite' version). Very quick extraction including multi-.rar and a nice encrypted compiler. Both also have an embedded movie player with .mkv support with which we have not had any issues.

Hope that helped!

Sent with our Surface RT

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Didn't work (not that I expected trash like WinZip to work), and no way it's worth $8 every year in any case.

I was hoping I'd end up with less guess-work and more actual experience. :straight: None of the Boo Studio/Finebits O? apps such as 8 Zip, Files&Folders and Metro Commander are able to do what I want.

Hope that helped!
Unfortunately it didn't. Any other tried and tested suggestions?

Thanks of course to everyone who's taken the time to respond so far.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I've never even encountered a "RAR5" file, so I don't really know what you're asking for.. :D

Umm, then what made you suggest an app for it?! :smile: RAR 5.0 is the latest archive format and such archives can be created by both WinRAR and RAR for Android. The full technical details of the format as well as the UnRAR source code are available on this page. All I'm looking for is a Metro ARM app where the developer has incorporated the latest UnRAR source code. Can't believe it's so difficult to find. :unhappy:

Since there is little help here, try 7zip, it's free and open source and it has been ported to RT. Again this is just guess work, I don't have an RT device to try it

Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers

Thanks, but i) unfortunately there is no known way yet to jailbreak Windows RT 8.1 as far as I know, and ii) even if there were 7-Zip wouldn't help since it doesn't support RAR 5.0 yet and there's no word from Igor Pavlov as to how long it will take for support to be added. But if a jailbreak was possible then the UnRAR for ARM command-line version could be used directly I suppose. Anyway I'd much rather prefer a proper app solution that can be used without any problems instead of jailbreaking every RT device.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3