Update issues

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to update my RT to 8.1 update 1 but it will not work. Shows a bunch of updates including a update for 8.1 that is 300+ megs as well as a bunch of office etc updates. However when I try to update. It just sits at the downloading updates stage and never does anything else. Any suggestions?

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I have found that when there are lots of updates to do I've had the same problem when trying to run them all at once. Instead try breaking it down and just doing a couple at a time. This usually has worked for me.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah, updating a few updates at a time helps out a lot (versus doing something like 30 updates simultaneously). when you do a bunch of updates at once, some updates expect some updates to already be installed and if you do it all at once, those are not installed of course.

also, if you get an error, go to restart the system. sometimes an update will get an error because there is a pending update already in progress. when you reboot, that will finish that pending update so that you can update further.

lastly, microsoft is testing an update that may clear up this updating problem for some systems.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I found two command line programs that might help.

First change the sleep timeout while Plugged in, to NEVER (control panel, Power Options, change plan settings), and connect the power to your Surface. Also use the kickstand to help keep airflow going around the Surface while it works.

The first one has been around for awhile, that checks the operating system files for corruption. This the first thing to try:
From an elevated command prompt (i.e. Run as Administrator), type:
SFC /SCANNOW
(this might take awhile to run, just let it do it's thing)

After that command runs, reboot, try the updated, again. If it fails the next thing to try:
From an elevated command prompt (i.e. Run as Administrator) type:
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH

(Again, this one might take an hour or so to run)
Reboot when done, and try the update again.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I did try to just update a couple at a time, still a no go. Did the same thing. At this point I am thinking of just doing a factory reset and starting from scratch. I am currently on 8.1, trying to get 8.1 update 1. Appreciate the responses everyone. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion