Hello, I was just playing around with my Surface RT and noticed it supports Micro SD, now I only have the 32GB model of the Surface RT but I wanted to know can I save apps, music, movies, games to my 64GB micro SD card if I was to put it in my Surface? ๐Ÿ˜Š
    07-18-2014 06:32 AM
    Is there any APIs other than 'IsolatedStorageFile'? Can we use native APIs like open or fopen or CreateFile to do file operations in WindowsPhone8.1 apps.
    -Sureshbabu
    07-18-2014 08:00 AM
    Yes you can, with everything bar installing the actual apps to SD card. This does mean your 8.1 phone has more app storage space than your tablet, which is an odd move by MS.

There are a couple of hacks to move apps to SD but these only work with Win8. Do not try them on Win8.1 or you'll likely need an OS reinstall to get your tablet working again.

Remember, docs you store on your SD card are not encrypted. Keep your secrets on the internal storage.
    07-18-2014 08:11 AM
    Remember, docs you store on your SD card are not encrypted. Keep your secrets on the internal storage.
    There is a solution for this though. Just use a Windows 7/8 PC that supports BitLocker and encrypt the MicroSD card. For ease of use when Windows RT 8.1 first prompts you to enter the decryption password for the card, you can click on the "More Options" link and set it to trust the tablet you have it plugged into (i.e. the Surface RT or Surface 2) to have it auto-unlocked when connected.
    AndyCalling likes this.
    07-21-2014 12:31 AM
    Really? I didn't realise that. I shall try it with my Win8.1 non-pro Toshiba Encore, since my desktop is pro. Thanks!
    07-22-2014 05:48 AM
    A built-in way to move or install Windows Store apps to an SD card or second drive doesn't exist yet, but you should be able to create a symlink junction from the original location of the app's folder on the SSD to where you moved it on the SD card.
    08-09-2014 10:07 PM