01-25-2015 05:59 PM
129 12345 ...
tools
    Trying to read what you want into what someone else says. And on and on
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    10-09-2014 10:52 PM
    Regarding your touch friendly Office, Office 2013 works fine on an 8" display, the 10.6"? in the RT...
    All Android has is a mobile app on par with our WP's, same with iPhone IIRC.
    iPad requires a 365 subscription. How about that? HMMMMM. not saying its ideal, but its still not as you make it out to be.
    Still can't wait for an improved Office on any phone.

If the VZW Icon dump and HTC 8x/8s aren't MS's fault, then they kinda aren't relevant. This isn't about the prospect of updates from either HTC or VZW, we're arguing about the prospect of 10 on RT Surfaces.

And it looks like Intel Core M is on the level of the Surface Pro's, not the lower end RT's which I won't mind betting will be swapped out for Atom chips.

Personally, I am a little concerned for the opposite, MS seems like its supporting its stuff well, but I don't know if the OEMs will come through with drivers. (IF necessary) but hey, it is still up in the air.
    Yes I realize a Sub to Office 365 is needed for Android and iPhone/iPad, however I would say the fact the other 2 platforms got Touch Friendly versions first kinda tips their hand.

I have no doubt the Surface Pro tablets will come up to Windows 10, but I could also see RT being pushed aside for the new M chips. The M chips being the replacement for RT devices. That is a cost savings right off the hop for Microsoft as they would only need develop for Win32 and 64.

The only Arm devices I can see Micrisoft bringing along to W10 would be phones. Now not all Windows Phone 8 phones will come, some will be left undeveloped for any number of reasons Microsoft can think up.

My hope would be that Microsoft at long last tells the Carriers, that all future Updates will run from Microsoft. The Carriers may have early access to test, but it will be Microsoft to turn the switch on to run an Update. Much like Apple does with it's OS updates and upgrades.

The truth is ....I wish I was dead wrong about all this, but I think I am starting to see the writing on the wall........
    10-10-2014 09:11 AM
    Inteller is often cynical, but I agree with him here. The Surface line (not Pro) had rough going right out of the gate. With the original Surface, Microsoft reportedly spent more in marketing than the total revenue in sales. That's revenue, not profit! They took a writeoff of almost $1 billion.

With the Surface Pro line and W8 tablets by other OEMs, I don't see much use for the non-Pro Surface line. It hasn't sold well or been very popular, so why would Microsoft keep it going when the SP3 is doing well?
    10-10-2014 10:01 AM
    Inteller is often cynical, but I agree with him here. The Surface line (not Pro) had rough going right out of the gate. With the original Surface, Microsoft reportedly spent more in marketing than the total revenue in sales. That's revenue, not profit! They took a writeoff of almost $1 billion.

With the Surface Pro line and W8 tablets by other OEMs, I don't see much use for the non-Pro Surface line. It hasn't sold well or been very popular, so why would Microsoft keep it going when the SP3 is doing well?
    Cynical? You just won the award for understatement of the year. 😃
    berty6294 and xandros9 like this.
    10-10-2014 10:49 AM
    Re-Post of:http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...ml#post2807590

Sadly I agree, I think the Surface RT, Surface 2, and the Nokia Lumia 2520, will all be the last of the Windows RT space, I think that is a hugh mistake, I hope we get at least Windows RT 10, but if not my Surface RT 64G, will live on...

What I was really interested in the statement that they will continue to support the Surface Pro 3 and the accessories of the Surface Pro 3 will work with the next generation version of the Pro... But they did not say the existing Surface Pro/Pro 2 version... I like the ten inch version, wish they made a Surface Pro 3 ten inch... I do not want twelve inch... I want smaller like an eight inch would be great... That means that maybe Surface Pro/Pro2 might not be able to run the next version of Windows? and the accessories will not be compatible to the new generation pro?

Here is a perfect Surface eight inch, with Quad or Eight Core CPU, with eight Gig of ram, with eight hundred Gig SSD, with HDMI mini and DVI port, two USB 3, Micro-SD, Pen Support, Come with a keyboard (Touch or Type, your choice of color, which matches the devices uni-body color)...

Really what I would love is a custom creation, a web site that lets me decide the specs and they custom build the Surface to my Specs (eight, ten, or twelve inch)... (Kind of like a car)...
    10-10-2014 12:20 PM
    Except for the "no Android or iOS device can multitask", I completely agree.
    Sorry I'm so slow to respond, but I was careful to say Android and iOS don't multitask as well as RT. I do multi-task on Touchwiz, but it's clunky to say the least. Multitasking in RT is smooth, fast, and intuitive. Best of any mobile OS by a mile.

I generally agree with you. However, Microsoft has a track record of not properly utilizing Tegra chips in their consumer devices. Similar issues with the Zune HD. Some blame NVidia for poor drivers (speculation on their part), but I put the blame squarely on Microsoft since they are the ones who chose Tegra and are in total control of what they produce to sell.

Having been burned a few times by the Microsoft/Tegra combo, I will never buy another one again.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Tegra. It's all on Microsoft. Personally, between my laggy Surface and my wife's apparently discontinued Icon stuck on 8.0, I think I'm done with Microsoft mobile devices for awhile. I gave them a fair chance and I do like their vision, they just keep failing to deliver. Everything they have released in the past few years has been half-assed...great ideas poorly executed.
    10-10-2014 01:28 PM
    That means that maybe Surface Pro/Pro2 might not be able to run the next version of Windows? and the accessories will not be compatible to the new generation pro?

Here is a perfect Surface eight inch, with Quad or Eight Core CPU, with eight Gig of ram, with eight hundred Gig SSD, with HDMI mini and DVI port, two USB 3, Micro-SD, Pen Support, Come with a keyboard (Touch or Type, your choice of color, which matches the devices uni-body color)...

Really what I would love is a custom creation, a web site that lets me decide the specs and they custom build the Surface to my Specs (eight, ten, or twelve inch)... (Kind of like a car)...
    The Pro's are full blown PC's. they will be upgradeable, don't think of them like phones or the phone-based tablets, they are PCs, like those HP Pavilions or Lenovo ThinkPads. Heck, if you want, you can put Linux on them and ditch Windows.

As for your perfect Surface, sorry but its not going to be practical or even possible. 8 inches adds a lot of space requirements, 8 GB of RAM is a bit of a stretch, and an 800 GB SSD is without a doubt going to cost a boatload. And with all those ports, making them fit will be an issue too. Those specs would be more at home on a Pro 3 than an eight-incher. (sorry if its just dreaming, I've interpreted it as what you want them to put out now)
    You can do that for some Dell's and other computers IIRC.
    But, I don't think tech has advanced enough or MS has enough money to bother with that sort of customization scheme on devices where its a lot harder to tailor.
    10-10-2014 05:15 PM
    So the people here are in full-blown panic mode despite the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what is actually happening? I almost like the Apple side of things, where the customers don't automatically assume that Apple is going to screw them over.
    xandros9 and Philip Hamm like this.
    10-11-2014 12:18 PM
    So the people here are in full-blown panic mode despite the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what is actually happening? I almost like the Apple side of things, where the customers don't automatically assume that Apple is going to screw them over.
    I'm going to slightly disagree. Apple customers know they're getting bent over, they just don't care.

As for some people on these boards, I would ask the mod team to set up a "Chicken Little" subsection.
    10-11-2014 06:42 PM
    *Incorrect statement edited out of existence*
    Last edited by Michael Alan Goff; 10-16-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    10-11-2014 08:03 PM
    I'm going to slightly disagree. Apple customers know they're getting bent over, they just don't care.

As for some people on these boards, I would ask the mod team to set up a "Chicken Little" subsection.
    Chicken Little? One guy, as usual, flew off the handle a bit. Call it whatever you like, but I'm done with Windows mobile devices. The SP3 is more than I am willing to pay for in a tablet and 10 appears to be a step backwards on tablets, the phone/carrier market is a mess, and the RT devices seem to be at the end of their line. I'm not upset, just disappointed. I'm moving on. Not right this minute. Not tomorrow or even next week. But unless there is a miraculous turnaround at MS, I'm done buying their mobile devices. The writing is on the wall IMO. I still hope they recover but I'm not sticking around to find out.
    10-13-2014 09:40 AM
    Chicken Little? One guy, as usual, flew off the handle a bit. Call it whatever you like, but I'm done with Windows mobile devices. The SP3 is more than I am willing to pay for in a tablet and 10 appears to be a step backwards on tablets, the phone/carrier market is a mess, and the RT devices seem to be at the end of their line. I'm not upset, just disappointed. I'm moving on. Not right this minute. Not tomorrow or even next week. But unless there is a miraculous turnaround at MS, I'm done buying their mobile devices. The writing is on the wall IMO. I still hope they recover but I'm not sticking around to find out.
    I rest my case.
    10-13-2014 09:44 AM
    And you're basing all this on misinformation and a lack of clarification.
    xandros9 and calfee20 like this.
    10-14-2014 08:15 AM
    Nah, people seemed genuinely surprised on MacRumors when the iPhone 4 was cut from iOS 8.
    Link please.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-14-2014 01:45 PM
    Link please.
    I'll end up getting one asap. At work right now, eating lunch.
    10-14-2014 03:17 PM
    The reason why I asked for a link in support of the belief that "people seemed genuinely surprised on MacRumors when the iPhone 4 was cut from iOS 8" is because I'm a regular there and I haven't seen that. On the contrary, I've seen people surprised that they are ALLOWED to upgrade their devices to iOS 7 and iOS 8 resulting in a less than pleasing experience performance-wise. The situation is made worse by the fact that Apple does not provide a way to downgrade to a previous version of iOS.

I hope that Microsoft takes a different approach with the Surface RT. IMO, the best way for Microsoft to protect their customers' investment in the RT is to only allow it to upgrade to Windows 10 if the performance and stability remains the same or improves.
    xandros9 and sahib lopez like this.
    10-15-2014 01:59 PM
    The reason why I asked for a link in support of the belief that "people seemed genuinely surprised on MacRumors when the iPhone 4 was cut from iOS 8" is because I'm a regular there and I haven't seen that. On the contrary, I've seen people surprised that they are ALLOWED to upgrade their devices to iOS 7 and iOS 8 resulting in a less than pleasing experience performance-wise. The situation is made worse by the fact that Apple does not provide a way to downgrade to a previous version of iOS.

I hope that Microsoft takes a different approach with the Surface RT. IMO, the best way for Microsoft to protect their customers' investment in the RT is to only allow it to upgrade to Windows 10 if the performance and stability remains the same or improves.
    I thought I read it somewhere on the forum, but can't find it. As per logic, I must be remembering wrong and will thusly change my last post to reflect the new information. My apologies.
    10-16-2014 07:56 AM
    I thought I read it somewhere on the forum, but can't find it. As per logic, I must be remembering wrong and will thusly change my last post to reflect the new information. My apologies.
    I'm with WillysJeepMan; I don't recall seeing iPhone 4 users complaining about not getting iOS 8. Or they could have been complaining, even if they knew ahead of time it would be that way. Apple has a pattern that is pretty much set. The 4 year old devices do not get the update. Unless something changes, we already know that the 4s will not get iOS 9, the 5 will not get iOS 10, etc.

But it's all good man! It seems we always find something to complain about, right? I'm currently complaining that the Nexus 6 isn't going to the market for $399!
    10-16-2014 08:08 AM
    I'm with WillysJeepMan; I don't recall seeing iPhone 4 users complaining about not getting iOS 8. Or they could have been complaining, even if they knew ahead of time it would be that way. Apple has a pattern that is pretty much set. The 4 year old devices do not get the update. Unless something changes, we already know that the 4s will not get iOS 9, the 5 will not get iOS 10, etc.

But it's all good man! It seems we always find something to complain about, right? I'm currently complaining that the Nexus 6 isn't going to the market for $399!
    That's all you're complaining about? Go big man!! Complain that Salma Hayek doesn't wake up next to you every morning.
    tgp and Philip Hamm like this.
    10-16-2014 10:38 AM
    That's all you're complaining about?
    Yes, my life is simple. That's all I have to complain about. I know; first world problems. And my wife beats Salma Hayek any day (IMnotsoHO)!
    Philip Hamm and WillysJeepMan like this.
    10-16-2014 10:45 AM
    Yes, my life is simple. That's all I have to complain about. I know; first world problems. And my wife beats Salma Hayek any day (IMnotsoHO)!
    I'm with you, my wife peruses these forums too sometimes. Still smokin' at 46, Salma can't say that yet.
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:31 AM
    Where the hell does it say in the OP's quote that they are going to dump us? It says they'll support the vast majority of devices. Perhaps I misread it lol
    Philip Hamm likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:46 AM
    The way I see things is simple.

If MS never make another RT device, no big deal they tried something different, some people like them, I do I bought one for my wife and as a day to day tablet it's probably more useful than my Pro, but they haven't screwed anyone, they made them, sold them, people bought them and if they carry on working for a few years you have had your monies worth out of them.

If they don't upgrade them to 10 that would be a shame, but even then as long as MS are still updating them from a security patch point of view, again no one is getting screwed, again when we bought them no one said they would get a new OS put on them, however it would be very nice of MS if they do so.

But the main issue with this post is saying "We got screwed" or "Right that's it I am off" if this or that doesn't happen, when unless people have facts, it is all based on conjecture.

A pointless exorcise and a waste of peoples time.

No one is forcing anyone to stay here, stay with MS products or not buy something else, but please do it for the right reasons and not on rumour or scotch mist.

And if you have a Surface or Surface 2, enjoy it for what it is, I know my wife enjoys using hers and sometimes I have a loan of it when she isn't looking.

Bob
    10-16-2014 11:58 AM
    The way I see things is simple.

If MS never make another RT device, no big deal they tried something different, some people like them, I do I bought one for my wife and as a day to day tablet it's probably more useful than my Pro, but they haven't screwed anyone, they made them, sold them, people bought them and if they carry on working for a few years you have had your monies worth out of them.

If they don't upgrade them to 10 that would be a shame, but even then as long as MS are still updating them from a security patch point of view, again no one is getting screwed, again when we bought them no one said they would get a new OS put on them, however it would be very nice of MS if they do so.

But the main issue with this post is saying "We got screwed" or "Right that's it I am off" if this or that doesn't happen, when unless people have facts, it is all based on conjecture.

A pointless exorcise and a waste of peoples time.

No one is forcing anyone to stay here, stay with MS products or not buy something else, but please do it for the right reasons and not on rumour or scotch mist.

And if you have a Surface or Surface 2, enjoy it for what it is, I know my wife enjoys using hers and sometimes I have a loan of it when she isn't looking.

Bob
    Bob, that was a lucid, well written post and it has no business being here. I hope you're proud of yourself.
    mpl175 and Philip Hamm like this.
    10-16-2014 02:36 PM
    Yeah, when I look on here about the 930 almost all I hear are issues and complaints with little positives, but I look on amazon and its one of the most highly rated phones (or any product) I've seen in a while. Kinda gives you perspective.
    I have the icon which as you know is the same as the 930. No problems here. Phone is awesome except for Verizon retiring it lol.
    10-16-2014 03:07 PM
129 12345 ...