01-25-2015 05:59 PM
129 ... 456
tools
    ​Win32 does not make something Windows or not.
    And I never claimed otherwise. The point of what you quoted was this:

Denoting two operating systems to be the same, typically means both can run the same software. If two OSes can not run the same software, they are not considered to be the same. W10M can not run Win32 based software, which W10 can, so it's technically not the same OS. That has always been and continues to be my position. Whether one or both OSes are named Windows isn't relevant to my point.

For marketing reasons MS has decided to use a different definition of "the same OS", and although I think I understand why, I think it's an unwise decision that will help nobody and cause yet more confusion and misunderstandings.

Microsoft's marketing department is not going to change my mind on whether two OSes deserve to be called "the same OS".
    01-25-2015 05:07 PM
    And I never claimed otherwise. The point of what you quoted was this:

Denoting two operating systems to be the same, typically means both can run the same software. If two OSes can not run the same software, they are not considered to be the same. W10M can not run Win32 based software, which W10 can, so it's technically not the same OS. That has always been and continues to be my position. Whether one or both OSes are named Windows isn't relevant to my point.

For marketing reasons MS has decided to use a different definition of "the same OS", and although I think I understand why, I think it's an unwise decision that will help nobody and cause yet more confusion and misunderstandings.

Microsoft's marketing department is not going to change my mind on whether two OSes deserve to be called "the same OS".
    ​From he kernel level up, it's the same OS. There are some different API, but that's about it.
    01-25-2015 05:12 PM
    ​From he kernel level up, it's the same OS. There are some different API, but that's about it.
    So what?

Lay down two identical foundations. On the first build a four-story building. On the second build a log cabin. Is it justified to call them the same building because they have the same foundation? That's pretty much what you and MS are doing.

I completely agree that both OSes share some identical components (.NET runtime and the WinRT API) but when one is but 10% of the other's size, and can't even run the same software, you're not going to convince me they are "the same".
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-25-2015 05:25 PM
    In the scheme of things, not enough, but I am curious just how many Surface RT / 2 were sold.
    01-25-2015 05:59 PM
129 ... 456