And with this answer Surface owners just got screwed....

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
let's get some things clarified here.

RT as it is today is dead. That is certain. The Windows 10 ARM....*thing* would be perfectly capable of running on a Surface and Surface 2. I would even speculate even MORE capable than Windows 8 today. That's because Microsoft is stripping out a bunch of useless things like Desktop.

But that's the excuse Microsoft will use themselves, they will say that because Windows 10 on ARM is more like phone than tablet, that users will feel like functionality has diminished, not increased. (inevitably some ******* will ***** because they can't access Paint on the Desktop anymore)

Surface won't get upgraded.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It will probably run a Surface (current RT).... If it runs on some form or fashion on a phone, why wouldn't it, or some version of it run on the Surface?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
let's get some things clarified here.

RT as it is today is dead. That is certain. The Windows 10 ARM....*thing* would be perfectly capable of running on a Surface and Surface 2. I would even speculate even MORE capable than Windows 8 today. That's because Microsoft is stripping out a bunch of useless things like Desktop.

But that's the excuse Microsoft will use themselves, they will say that because Windows 10 on ARM is more like phone than tablet, that users will feel like functionality has diminished, not increased. (inevitably some ******* will ***** because they can't access Paint on the Desktop anymore)

Surface won't get upgraded.

inteller may have a point !!!!!

As MJF from Windows Weekly asked about the broad range of Arm based devices, (meaning Tablets and Phones), and the answer she was given was only about phones.

Her words from the last Windows Weekly could see an end of the line for Surface and the Asus, Nokia RT devices.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but as I said before even though the Windows Phone 7 devices could have been upgraded ( Please don't say they could not because the Truth is Yes they could have...with minor security features left out. Also The Dark Forces team with a hack proved they could have), Microsoft did not want to put forth the money to develop the Upgrade. So I still have a small sting left from that.

I can see RT being left as is, with only small patches and fixes until their end of support days. Remember a life cycle does not have to give new system upgrades, only security fixes and patches.

I hope I am wrong but my gut tells me to be ready!!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am loathe to agree with inteller on just about anything, but I've been feeling the same way. It's too late to b!tch about it now, but dropping WP7 was decidedly a mistake. It was much better as an ARM-based OS than WP8. There was already dev activity on XDA, namely Cotulla, and sideloads were starting. This is how Android gained traction when it was in its infancy. That's when they dropped the hammer and you know the rest. Count me as one of those who feels that 7/7.5 is quicker, more responsive and much better at kinetic scrolling than 8/8.1 on any device.

As much as I like RT, I think it's going to be the odd man out. That's just a gut feeling and I have nothing to back it up with.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
look back at some of my earlier comments. Windows 10 might be available for AN ARM device, but not these ARM devices (Surface 1 and 2).

Get ready for Microsoft to say either:

The hardware can't support it (lie)
The OOB (out of box) user experience will be radically different from what the user was initially sold (cop out)
Surface ARM line is ending (likely)

What they are pushing back is the 2 year marks that would effect people who might have got a 4G ARM device under contract. This is all planned obsolescence, plain and simple.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
look back at some of my earlier comments. Windows 10 might be available for AN ARM device, but not these ARM devices (Surface 1 and 2).

Get ready for Microsoft to say either:

The hardware can't support it (lie)
The OOB (out of box) user experience will be radically different from what the user was initially sold (cop out)
Surface ARM line is ending (likely)

What they are pushing back is the 2 year marks that would effect people who might have got a 4G ARM device under contract. This is all planned obsolescence, plain and simple.

No, it's FUD from yourself. They have now specifically said ARM devices AND phones. Two separate things. So we know what phones means, what's the ARM mean then? If it doesn't mean RT what does it mean? I don't know of any other Windows OS on ARM.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it's FUD from yourself. They have now specifically said ARM devices AND phones. Two separate things. So we know what phones means, what's the ARM mean then? If it doesn't mean RT what does it mean? I don't know of any other Windows OS on ARM.

Yes, lets just support all these ARM devices from Dell, ASUS, and not update the Surfaces! Its only logical.

But actually, I thought OP was going to take that announcement and say how all the RT's will be left on the Technical/Consumer Preview and that we'd be all screwed since MS technically didn't say they would put the actual release out.

Stop while you're ahead. Come back later when support ends in 2017 for the original.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Have a read of this and this quote:

"Microsoft's Joe Belfiore has confirmed previous rumors that a preview of Windows 10 that will run on ARM devices like Surface RT and Surface 2, along with Windows Phones, won't be released for a while."

Joe Belfiore: Windows 10 preview for phones and ARM devices isn't due until 'well into 2015' | Windows Phone Central

Why jump in with threads about people being screwed when you know no more than anyone else, building a thread on speculation does nobody any good.

Bob

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The quote from Belfiore certainly puts Microsoft on the hook to provide Windows 10 for ARM devices currently in the field. If they come through, that's great... but if they don't, it will be what they are famous for... FUD. (even if they try to explain it away with some technical reason)

In the end, they still haven't learned to communicate clearly with a consistent message.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, lets just support all these ARM devices from Dell, ASUS, and not update the Surfaces! Its only logical.

oh hell, RT devices from Dell, Asus, et al have been abandoned for a LONG time and these OEMs CERTAINLY won't be packaging an upgrade deployment for those devices.

Belfiore saying that windows 10 preview will be available for phones and ARM devices means nothing other than windows 10 that runs on ARM architecture (which is really phones and arm tablets, to distinguish the two is pointless) will be available in 2015...but the official upgrade situation will be even more dire for phones. Oh sure...there will probably be a preview program like there is now, but there will NEVER be official updates for 2 year old phones from the carriers. Likewise Microsoft and every other RT OEM will dump support for RT tablets.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
oh hell, RT devices from Dell, Asus, et al have been abandoned for a LONG time and these OEMs CERTAINLY won't be packaging an upgrade deployment for those devices.

Belfiore saying that windows 10 preview will be available for phones and ARM devices means nothing other than windows 10 that runs on ARM architecture (which is really phones and arm tablets, to distinguish the two is pointless) will be available in 2015...but the official upgrade situation will be even more dire for phones. Oh sure...there will probably be a preview program like there is now, but there will NEVER be official updates for 2 year old phones from the carriers. Likewise Microsoft and every other RT OEM will dump support for RT tablets.
There already is! My 920 just got the official update and is 1 month shy of two years.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Everywhere I read in the WPCentral forums a post about why Microsoft, Windows 10, WP, RT etc. is dead, failing is becoming quite wearisome. To the OP, calm down and relax. Patience is a virtue; so wait and see what happens. If Microsoft goes against its word, they'd better be ready for the PR nightmare that will result which I highly doubt they are looking for at the present time. Maybe the product offerings from Mountain View, CA or Cupertino may interest you if you feel slighted already from Microsoft.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Everywhere I read in the WPCentral forums a post about why Microsoft, Windows 10, WP, RT etc. is dead, failing is becoming quite wearisome. To the OP, calm down and relax. Patience is a virtue; so wait and see what happens. If Microsoft goes against its word, they'd better be ready for the PR nightmare that will result which I highly doubt they are looking for at the present time. Maybe the product offerings from Mountain View, CA or Cupertino may interest you if you feel slighted already from Microsoft.
Yeah, when I look on here about the 930 almost all I hear are issues and complaints with little positives, but I look on amazon and its one of the most highly rated phones (or any product) I've seen in a while. Kinda gives you perspective.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, when I look on here about the 930 almost all I hear are issues and complaints with little positives, but I look on amazon and its one of the most highly rated phones (or any product) I've seen in a while. Kinda gives you perspective.

Are you suggesting we call the whaaambulance for some of these people?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Are you suggesting we call the whaaambulance for some of these people?
Maybe. I'm sure some of the issues are valid. But as with all things 90% of people with a problem will share it many times while few that are very happy will, so it gives one trying to research a phone a very imbalanced perspective on the phones reliability. Especially since if you're having a problem you will go to the forums for help, but if you are happy you might nit.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, it's because those who are more likely to post here have experience with Microsoft. Grandmothers posting favorable reviews on Amazon are a bit different. That's before factoring in the astro-turfers posting reviews on Amazon.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, it's because those who are more likely to post here have experience with Microsoft. Grandmothers posting favorable reviews on Amazon are a bit different. That's before factoring in the astro-turfers posting reviews on Amazon.
Grandmas are more likely to complain if they can't figure something out even if its not the fault of the product where more tech savy people, although more likely to identify little quarks, are more likely to research and look at forums to figure it out. More experience usually equals a better ability to figure things out. So I would have to disagree.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I completely respect the opinions of those who have their issues with Windows/Microsoft products, as do I. However I don't start a new thread complaining about this or that because it sends a message to new Windows Phone users that these phones are problem filled. Some folks need to just calm down and relax and realize that there is no perfect OS. If there was, everyone would have it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans