And with this answer Surface owners just got screwed....

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Grandmas are more likely to complain if they can't figure something out even if its not the fault of the product where more tech savy people, although more likely to identify little quarks, are more likely to research and look at forums to figure it out. More experience usually equals a better ability to figure things out. So I would have to disagree.
Grandmas are less likely to do anything beyond make a phone call and try to respond to their grandkids' SMS texts. We see a similar phenomenon here with regard to many Surface users. Those who do basic tablet tasks that any iOS or Android tab is capable of, are delighted with their Surfaces. Those who attempt to do more challenging tasks are the ones more likely run into issues... the more in-depth the task, the more likely one is to experience issues.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
That depends on your definition of "in-depth". For example, no Android or iOS device can multitask, do Office/Outlook, or support 3rd party USB devices as well as the Surface. WinRT is a powerful mobile OS, for the most part it has been the apps and support that have lagged behind.

Personally, after my experience with 8.1 and IE11, I shudder to think of how Win10 may perform on my original RT. The Tegra3 has never run anything particularly well and as websites continue to get more complex my Surface is showing its age badly (wpcentral is barely functional). By the time 10 comes out I will be more than ready to move on to something else. So really, if it doesn't support win10, I'm not going to worry about it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If one were to strip out all of the needless Windows system overhead that drives Desktop and its subprocesses, the Tegra3 could handle Windows 10 just fine. Just see how well it performed on the HTC One X. Microsoft also never activated the 5th battery saving core which would have opened up a realm of possibilities.

There is nothing hardware wise about the Tegra3 that is deficient, only a bloated Windows OS that was ported over almost verbatim. Strip it down to Windows Phone proportions and it will be great.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That depends on your definition of "in-depth". For example, no Android or iOS device can multitask, do Office/Outlook, or support 3rd party USB devices as well as the Surface. WinRT is a powerful mobile OS, for the most part it has been the apps and support that have lagged behind.
Except for the "no Android or iOS device can multitask", I completely agree.

If one were to strip out all of the needless Windows system overhead that drives Desktop and its subprocesses, the Tegra3 could handle Windows 10 just fine. Just see how well it performed on the HTC One X. Microsoft also never activated the 5th battery saving core which would have opened up a realm of possibilities.

There is nothing hardware wise about the Tegra3 that is deficient, only a bloated Windows OS that was ported over almost verbatim. Strip it down to Windows Phone proportions and it will be great.
I generally agree with you. However, Microsoft has a track record of not properly utilizing Tegra chips in their consumer devices. Similar issues with the Zune HD. Some blame NVidia for poor drivers (speculation on their part), but I put the blame squarely on Microsoft since they are the ones who chose Tegra and are in total control of what they produce to sell.

Having been burned a few times by the Microsoft/Tegra combo, I will never buy another one again.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I generally agree with you. However, Microsoft has a track record of not properly utilizing Tegra chips in their consumer devices. Similar issues with the Zune HD. Some blame NVidia for poor drivers (speculation on their part), but I put the blame squarely on Microsoft since they are the ones who chose Tegra and are in total control of what they produce to sell.

Having been burned a few times by the Microsoft/Tegra combo, I will never buy another one again.

I think he's referring to the split screen multi-tasking, in which case he'd be right.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's a feature unique to an OEM skin, it's not baked into AOSP.

but if it works with enough apps, I don't think it matters? Its just showcasing a plus (or minus) of Android.
If it only works with a handful however, its less appealing. Still nice seeing Samsung doing what they can.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So almost everyone has been jumping on inteller for being an alarmist or jumping the gun..........

What about this post in news right here on WPC ??????
An end of production of Arm Tablets?
This leads right into a set up for no Update to W10 for arm.....yes Microsoft will support RT devices till life end, but it will be Patches and fixes. A life cycle does not mean automatic upgrade to the next version of OS, only that all bug fixes and security flaws will be fixed in it's cycle.

Also are any of you enjoying a "Touch Friendly Version of Office" yet on Surface Pro and RT???? Something Android and iPhone/iPad user now have.....hummmmmmm

Add in another post that VZW has retired the Lumia Icon pre Cyan update.......not the fault of Microsoft, but an example of some being left out in the cold.....like the HTC 8x and 8s.

The history is there to back up the original statement, and when dealing with Microsoft I go by the old saying.....Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me Twice shame on me.

I have a feeling this will be the next WP7 to WP8 mess all over again.

Also if Intel is starting to push a new M class chipset, my wonder has to be......will Arm be worth the money needed for development to push an Update or will Windows 10 just adopt a new Intel M class chipset for mobile Tablets???

I still have a dog in this fight also with an RT and an Acer W3, and I have the impression the W3 will get an upgrade, but sadly my RT I feel is stuck, unless over at XDA a hack comes to life.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not surprised by this rumor of the pending ditching of ARM, ever since the Atoms burst onto the scene, RT looked like a wager gone wrong. They're practically on the hook for 10 on ARM as well. It's stated a preview for 10 at least is slated to appear.

But you have a point, distinguishing software upgrades from updates here.

Regarding your touch friendly Office, Office 2013 works fine on an 8" display, the 10.6"? in the RT...
All Android has is a mobile app on par with our WP's, same with iPhone IIRC.
iPad requires a 365 subscription. How about that? HMMMMM. not saying its ideal, but its still not as you make it out to be.
Still can't wait for an improved Office on any phone.

If the VZW Icon dump and HTC 8x/8s aren't MS's fault, then they kinda aren't relevant. This isn't about the prospect of updates from either HTC or VZW, we're arguing about the prospect of 10 on RT Surfaces.

And it looks like Intel Core M is on the level of the Surface Pro's, not the lower end RT's which I won't mind betting will be swapped out for Atom chips.

Personally, I am a little concerned for the opposite, MS seems like its supporting its stuff well, but I don't know if the OEMs will come through with drivers. (IF necessary) but hey, it is still up in the air.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Regarding your touch friendly Office, Office 2013 works fine on an 8" display, the 10.6"? in the RT...
All Android has is a mobile app on par with our WP's, same with iPhone IIRC.
iPad requires a 365 subscription. How about that? HMMMMM. not saying its ideal, but its still not as you make it out to be.
Still can't wait for an improved Office on any phone.

If the VZW Icon dump and HTC 8x/8s aren't MS's fault, then they kinda aren't relevant. This isn't about the prospect of updates from either HTC or VZW, we're arguing about the prospect of 10 on RT Surfaces.

And it looks like Intel Core M is on the level of the Surface Pro's, not the lower end RT's which I won't mind betting will be swapped out for Atom chips.

Personally, I am a little concerned for the opposite, MS seems like its supporting its stuff well, but I don't know if the OEMs will come through with drivers. (IF necessary) but hey, it is still up in the air.

Yes I realize a Sub to Office 365 is needed for Android and iPhone/iPad, however I would say the fact the other 2 platforms got Touch Friendly versions first kinda tips their hand.

I have no doubt the Surface Pro tablets will come up to Windows 10, but I could also see RT being pushed aside for the new M chips. The M chips being the replacement for RT devices. That is a cost savings right off the hop for Microsoft as they would only need develop for Win32 and 64.

The only Arm devices I can see Micrisoft bringing along to W10 would be phones. Now not all Windows Phone 8 phones will come, some will be left undeveloped for any number of reasons Microsoft can think up.

My hope would be that Microsoft at long last tells the Carriers, that all future Updates will run from Microsoft. The Carriers may have early access to test, but it will be Microsoft to turn the switch on to run an Update. Much like Apple does with it's OS updates and upgrades.

The truth is ....I wish I was dead wrong about all this, but I think I am starting to see the writing on the wall........

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Inteller is often cynical, but I agree with him here. The Surface line (not Pro) had rough going right out of the gate. With the original Surface, Microsoft reportedly spent more in marketing than the total revenue in sales. That's revenue, not profit! They took a writeoff of almost $1 billion.

With the Surface Pro line and W8 tablets by other OEMs, I don't see much use for the non-Pro Surface line. It hasn't sold well or been very popular, so why would Microsoft keep it going when the SP3 is doing well?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Inteller is often cynical, but I agree with him here. The Surface line (not Pro) had rough going right out of the gate. With the original Surface, Microsoft reportedly spent more in marketing than the total revenue in sales. That's revenue, not profit! They took a writeoff of almost $1 billion.

With the Surface Pro line and W8 tablets by other OEMs, I don't see much use for the non-Pro Surface line. It hasn't sold well or been very popular, so why would Microsoft keep it going when the SP3 is doing well?

Cynical? You just won the award for understatement of the year. 😃

John Steffes

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Re-Post of:http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...t-ending-surface-tablet-line.html#post2807590

Sadly I agree, I think the Surface RT, Surface 2, and the Nokia Lumia 2520, will all be the last of the Windows RT space, I think that is a hugh mistake, I hope we get at least Windows RT 10, but if not my Surface RT 64G, will live on...

What I was really interested in the statement that they will continue to support the Surface Pro 3 and the accessories of the Surface Pro 3 will work with the next generation version of the Pro... But they did not say the existing Surface Pro/Pro 2 version... I like the ten inch version, wish they made a Surface Pro 3 ten inch... I do not want twelve inch... I want smaller like an eight inch would be great... That means that maybe Surface Pro/Pro2 might not be able to run the next version of Windows? and the accessories will not be compatible to the new generation pro?

Here is a perfect Surface eight inch, with Quad or Eight Core CPU, with eight Gig of ram, with eight hundred Gig SSD, with HDMI mini and DVI port, two USB 3, Micro-SD, Pen Support, Come with a keyboard (Touch or Type, your choice of color, which matches the devices uni-body color)...

Really what I would love is a custom creation, a web site that lets me decide the specs and they custom build the Surface to my Specs (eight, ten, or twelve inch)... (Kind of like a car)...

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Sorry I'm so slow to respond, but I was careful to say Android and iOS don't multitask as well as RT. I do multi-task on Touchwiz, but it's clunky to say the least. Multitasking in RT is smooth, fast, and intuitive. Best of any mobile OS by a mile.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Tegra. It's all on Microsoft. Personally, between my laggy Surface and my wife's apparently discontinued Icon stuck on 8.0, I think I'm done with Microsoft mobile devices for awhile. I gave them a fair chance and I do like their vision, they just keep failing to deliver. Everything they have released in the past few years has been half-assed...great ideas poorly executed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That means that maybe Surface Pro/Pro2 might not be able to run the next version of Windows? and the accessories will not be compatible to the new generation pro?

Here is a perfect Surface eight inch, with Quad or Eight Core CPU, with eight Gig of ram, with eight hundred Gig SSD, with HDMI mini and DVI port, two USB 3, Micro-SD, Pen Support, Come with a keyboard (Touch or Type, your choice of color, which matches the devices uni-body color)...

Really what I would love is a custom creation, a web site that lets me decide the specs and they custom build the Surface to my Specs (eight, ten, or twelve inch)... (Kind of like a car)...

The Pro's are full blown PC's. they will be upgradeable, don't think of them like phones or the phone-based tablets, they are PCs, like those HP Pavilions or Lenovo ThinkPads. Heck, if you want, you can put Linux on them and ditch Windows.

As for your perfect Surface, sorry but its not going to be practical or even possible. 8 inches adds a lot of space requirements, 8 GB of RAM is a bit of a stretch, and an 800 GB SSD is without a doubt going to cost a boatload. And with all those ports, making them fit will be an issue too. Those specs would be more at home on a Pro 3 than an eight-incher. (sorry if its just dreaming, I've interpreted it as what you want them to put out now)
You can do that for some Dell's and other computers IIRC.
But, I don't think tech has advanced enough or MS has enough money to bother with that sort of customization scheme on devices where its a lot harder to tailor.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
So the people here are in full-blown panic mode despite the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what is actually happening? I almost like the Apple side of things, where the customers don't automatically assume that Apple is going to screw them over.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So the people here are in full-blown panic mode despite the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what is actually happening? I almost like the Apple side of things, where the customers don't automatically assume that Apple is going to screw them over.

I'm going to slightly disagree. Apple customers know they're getting bent over, they just don't care.

As for some people on these boards, I would ask the mod team to set up a "Chicken Little" subsection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro