Restoring a system image

gdunlop

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I am replacing a Surface Pro 3 with a new Surface Pro 3 (original was physically damaged-broken screen). I took a system image of the original - that was easy enough - but how do I apply the image to the new Surface. I go into Recovery>Advanced>Restore System Image. I plug in the external drive that has the image - I pick the correct image - then I get a message that I need to boot from a System Image boot disk - OK - fair enough - but I have tried booting from a USB DVD drive with the actual System repair boot CD - no luck. I made a bootable USB flash with a copy of a Win 7 System image boot disk - but it just won't boot from it. Yes - I am holding the Volume down and the pressing power, etc. The USB boot device works fine on my laptop and desktop - so my boot USB flash drive is not the problem. I have tried:
?Going into PC Settings>Recovery>Advanced and select boot from USB device
?Disabling secure boot
?Redoing the USB boot device with Fat32 instead of NTFS

I tried making a Surface recovery Boot USB drive - which works to boot the Surface - but that is no different than going into PC Settings - recovery options. When you create a system image there is no option to create a system repair disk at the end (like there was in Win 7)
So what am I missing??? Why can you create a system image of a Surface when there seems to be no way to apply it.

Dimpl

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. I booted from a recovery USB, chose 'troubleshoot' and 'recover from a drive', and it seemed to recover the PC, but didn't give me the opportunity to set an image to load.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)