A Suitable Companion Device for Surface RT

canta2009

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I am a proud owner of a Surface RT. It is a great device and I can really do about 85% of what I need to do on a daily basis for my work as an academic. But - and perhaps with Surface RT there is always a but - there is the inevitable problem of essential programs you need for work and research.

The three culprits are Evernote Desktop, Zotero Stand-Alone, and Calibre, a library management software. I can use Evernote for Windows 8 but I do not find the program as intuitive for managing immense amounts of data - it is perfectly fine for reading. And I find that the Evernote for Web is just slow on the device. I can use Zotero in Internet Explorer but it runs slowly - and is more compatible with Firefox. But Calibre - the one I rely on daily - is unavailable on RT. I can use the files but to actually manage them is a task. I have to use my work computer but I get tired of carrying it back and forth from work to home.

The truth is that I am 1) Fairly happy with the device, 2) Not looking to upgrade to a more expensive device yet, and 3) Just need something for a few basic desktop tasks.

My current plan is to get a companion device for my Surface RT that runs Windows 8.1. I could do one of two things -

A. Purchase another inexpensive Windows tablet like a HP Stream 7 or Dell Venue Pro 8 and then use remote desktop when I need those programs. I like the simplicity of this option but working in India, I will have to order the tablet, have it shipped to my family, and then shipped to me. I estimate it may take 1 to 2 months.

OR

B. Purchase an inexpensive notebook like the Asus X207 or the HP Stream 11 and use that in tandem with the device. This seems like a bit much but I can get the device now in India.

I do see this as a stop-gap measure until I can eventually get a system that combines both - I would love a Surface Pro 3 but can't quite justify the price with a low salary and student loans. And again, I think the Surface RT is perfect for most tasks.

I wanted to ask the forum for any advice or thoughts. Does this sound a bit crazy? Has anyone tried Option A yet? Should I just simply throw in the towel and get a new device? Any advice would be deeply appreciated - thanks!

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I think both of these ideas are great. I like option 1 personally. Simpler. Neither of the devices you are considering will be as well built or have as nice a screen/hardware than the top shelf hardware look and feel of the Surface.

canta2009

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Dear Philip -

Thank you very much for your reply. I am leaning more towards Option A but am considering an Option C, which is simply have patience until I can get back to the US and get a Surface Pro 3 or something like that. But I agree, I like Option A because it is simpler.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Option A is better Imo. Also I see that you are talking about HP stream 11, I would suggest you to get Notion Ink Cain or Asus T100

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers