Universal apps on RT?

Chris Tyas

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I don't believe that Windows RT can run universal apps at present but would like some confirmation, will RT have access to the new store? If not does that mean the old store will be maintained for it?

Ta.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
It takes more than just a Store Update to run universal apps, literally most of the OS needs some adjustments. And since MS is not giving out any news thats means it is bad news: no universal apps.
Who says the store will be maintained? lol. Likely it won't even less attention than it already did. 4get about it.
Face it: we riding a dead horse. And MS fooled us again, especially the early adopters of the Surface RT who paid much for this device. No more hardware from MS for me anymore. It is a pure gamble if they drop support.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
There's no word on what kind of update we'll be getting yet, only that we'll be gettting an update that includes many W10 features, but it won't be Windows 10.

I hope that universal app support and support for the new store to be part of the RT update that is going to correspond with the Win10 update. I can't imagine that Microsoft would want to maintain the old app store just for Windows RT and 8.1 holdouts only. That just doesn't make sense.

Even if they do nothing I'll still be incredibly happy with my Surface RT, but I probably would not say that if I had bought it at launch price! I got mine years later HEAVILY discounted so it's easy for me to love since it was and is such an incredible bargain.

I'm hoping the RT update includes the Edge Browser and universal app support. Anything else is pure gravy.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
There's no word on what kind of update we'll be getting yet, only that we'll be gettting an update that includes many W10 features, but it won't be Windows 10.
Because there would be no good news in revealing what RT users would get. And at the moment MS doesn't want to have anything negative associated with Win10.
I hope that universal app support and support for the new store to be part of the RT update that is going to correspond with the Win10 update.
As I mentioned above already it needs substantial changes to the whole system, api's etc. to get support for universal apps.
I can't imagine that Microsoft would want to maintain the old app store just for Windows RT and 8.1 holdouts only.
Why not? Keep up everything as is for a while is cheaper than making a release of Win10 for the ARM device aka WoA aka Windows RT.
Even if they do nothing I'll still be incredibly happy with my Surface RT, but I probably would not say that if I had bought it at launch price! I got mine years later HEAVILY discounted so it's easy for me to love since it was and is such an incredible bargain.
You right man. I am an early adopter of the Surface RT and also own a Surface 2. As being fooled with my Lumia 800 and the WP7.8 "fake upgrade" already I am very upset about how MS is acting.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

I hope that universal app support and support for the new store to be part of the RT update that is going to correspond with the Win10 update. I can't imagine that Microsoft would want to maintain the old app store just for Windows RT and 8.1 holdouts only. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm hoping the RT update includes the Edge Browser and universal app support. Anything else is pure gravy.
Microsoft just released a preliminary version of Windows Bridge for iOS which assists developers in porting their apps over to Windows. Imagine the Surface RT/2 hardware combined with mature touch-optimized iOS apps... IMO that would be killer.

Mi Lo

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft just released a preliminary version of Windows Bridge for iOS which assists developers in porting their apps over to Windows. Imagine the Surface RT/2 hardware combined with mature touch-optimized iOS apps... IMO that would be killer.
we can hope! And I do. By the way I got mine two years now from ebay for$150.00. I have gotten MS to exchange it 4 time, extending its warranty each time using any flimsy excuse I can use. Currently have month and a half left on it I think. So mine is pristine.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If they not willing to pay for further development, at least they have to pay for RMA's :)
Got mine exchanged also 3 times last month since every replacement had it's flaws. Plus i got an upgrade from a 32GB device to a 64GB one. Type cover will be next (then for the third time) as like usual the back of it starts to peel off. And I not even feel bad about it ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium