Surface or Surface 2?

dlowe23

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I have always wanted a Surface, but didn't have the need for one until my laptop died. I am on a limited budget so I am looking a used Surface RT or used Surface 2. I basically would use it to type my sermons up, watch videos, and read using the Nook app. Which of these will do all three of these? Thanks in advance for the help!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As long as there's a Nook app in the Windows 8 Store both will work. The 2 is much speedier than the pedestrian-at-best RT and I will choose that unless the RT is like, $30 and the 2 is $150 more than that.

Although if you want a full PC the Surface 3 or another tablet altogether like the Dell Venue 11 are in order.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have always wanted a Surface, but didn't have the need for one until my laptop died. I am on a limited budget so I am looking a used Surface RT or used Surface 2. I basically would use it to type my sermons up, watch videos, and read using the Nook app. Which of these will do all three of these? Thanks in advance for the help!
xandros9 gave some good advice. I have owned both a Surface RT and Surface 2 (still do). If you can find a Surface 2 for $100 or less, it is worth it IMO... regardless of any price on the RT. The higher resolution of the screen and significantly faster processor are worth it.

I use my Surface 2 for sermon prep as well. (mostly for typing up sermon notes and teaching outlines) I love the fact that with the Surface RT and Surface 2 they both include perpetual licenses (not a subscription) for MS Office. Since the RT/2 are limited to Windows RT apps, you'll find that there is a significant lack of Bible software available for it.

I have found some excellent online Bible sites w/references but I prefer to have something locally installed (for times when WiFi is not available or sketchy). OliveTree Bible works very nicely on the RT/2.

The Nook app is perhaps the best ereader app available for the RT/2. That's probably a personal preference. :grin:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the RT/2 have some serious support for peripherals. I use a Targus presentation remote control with it for those times when I'm presenting at a seminar. The RT/2 supports real dual display mode... very handy when using PowerPoint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon