How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

Scottmond

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
I have and still use the 950 XL , i been using Windows Phone since my Samsung Focus, when People see my windows phone they always ask questions, "is that NEW, where can I get one" or why are you using a Microsoft thing? Does it make phone calls? Or
I didn't know Microsoft made phones? where can I get one, or, yes i used to have a Windows phone and i loved it"
Looking back now, i don't think Microsoft put their Whole heart onto promoting The Windows Phone platform and some missed opportunities over the years.
The 950 XL is the Best Windows Phone i have ever had, better than the HP Elite X3 which I still have and loved useing that phone as well.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Person: Oh you have a windows phone! I think I should give that a try.

me: "you can't buy one, they're pretty much not making anymore"

Person: What? I just heard about it!

Here in Norway it's like, I don't want a iPhone so I'll buy a Samsung.

Most people have no clue what so ever what OS they have on their phones. When people see my phone I tell them it's a Microsoft Phone and it's running Windows mobile they have no clue wtf I'm talking about.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I still use mine for continuum when at work, but use an android device when I'm out because I've gotten used to the convenience of android pay.

Hopefully Microsoft will figure out a mobile payment platform with whatever ultra mobile play they roll out this year.

I've never really understood the benefit of having paywave on your phone, as opposed to on your debit card. You have to take them both out of your pocket, and you have to carry one of them with you in your pocket. On a smartwatch/fitness band (like fitbit), I could understand - then you could leave your phone and your wallet at home, or if not, you at least wouldn't need to take anything out of your pockets.

Long Xuyen

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
My 820 is getting close to senility so I went to my telco store to assess replacements.The sales guy had never seen one (sooo young) and then was amazed at the hardware ... "they had wireless charging 5 years ago in a mid level phone? Wow, incredible, and a removable battery too? Why can't you buy one now?". Well, how should I answer him nadella?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
On a 737, awaiting takeoff a month ago, I sat next to a kind gentleman who was also destined for Seattle. About 30 minutes in, I noticed him noticing my Windows Phone as I changed music. He politely inquired: "I see you are using a Windows Phone, why is that?" To which I replied: "Because I'm stupid, or stubborn. I've always used them, this one still works great, I don't care about SnapChat and there's a slim hope for a mythical "Surface Phone" they are supposed to be working on". He then told me he loved his Windows Phone until he lost it on a hike recently.

It turns out he's a Microsoft engineer that was working on the phone project and over the course of a longer conversation I learned that he's working on the "next thing" as well. I told him everything I've heard about the new device and he stated "sometimes, rumors are not wrong" -citing the fact that he can't confirm anything concrete. I asked him point blank about whether or not I should bite the bullet and by a nice Android device as I'd been contemplating. He told me in no uncertain terms that, as a business user, I would be very disappointed in wasting my money" if I did and that I should wait foe what would be released "very soon". He confirmed he's using "something" in his office every day that he wishes he could take out but that has to be kept under wraps for now. We discussed the way they were porting 32-bit software into Apps and much more.

Honestly, I thought I had hit the Windows Phone ****** jackpot. We said our good-byes at the end of the flight and I thanked him for keeping me from wasting my money. So, my 950 XL will have to trudge on a little longer. Surface Phone/Andromeda/Journal/whatever you are called, I await your debut.

I've personally never had any doubt they wanted to develop a dual screened device. I saw their co-presentation of their co-owned patent for graphene OLED screens (co-owned, co-developed with Samsung) back in the balmer days in 2013. Everyone with an ear to the ground knows that when graphene manufacturing is made cheaper that will bring about a new era of mobile devices (and actually much more besides, the amount of new tech graphene will bring is tantamount to a tech revolution)

So having known this for a long time, it is obvious that the major players will want to get into dual screen devices early, long before the screen tech itself comes out. Microsoft is uniquely positioned in that it equally serves the enterprise market - a market than would buy a graphene screen product long before consumers can afford it, and also before the ecosystem is fully fleshed out.

I'm personally in the tablet business. Which is why I stood up and took so much notice when I say that presentation. I've also been closely following all the other studies related to graphene applications - tuneable lasers, massively improved solar panel efficiency , nano-battery and circuitry tech, nano-manufacturing, water filtration, environmental clean-up, hydrogen technology, chemical manufacture and more.

But suffice to say, I think, like with the HoloLens, Microsoft would be wildly stupid to have endured something like being partially replaced in the rise of the smartphone without investing in being first to platform in the next shifts, and the next shifts are all quite predictable. And it's extremely doubtful to me, that they are that stupid, considering they have the HoloLens and have been planning a hybrid OS for five years, something that apple (hybrid OS) is far to stupid to do (they have officially said they won't merge iOS and OSX), but google is.

Indeed I think the ones you should probably be watching for deep signs of conservatism and market stupidity right now is apple. The level of forward thinking and market innovation seems to be incredibly stale under current leadership.

People will say that MSFTs lack of commitment in bailing out on windows mobile was shortsighted - but I disagree. Blackberry nearly bankrupt themselves trying to keep bb10 going, and several seperate OSes has not been the plan since windows 10. They did heavily invest in the balmer days, but it was already too late. And for fans of windows phone 8, and windows 8 - yes it has some touch screen advantages and also some extra stability, but it was also a product the market rejected. There have been some missteps, but despite being a windows 10 mobile user myself, I cannot really fault nadellas reasoning - the market share was poor, the split platform concept is not the vision anyway, and candybar touchscreens will one day become the past anyway. What's important therefor is having an OS that can scale to different input and output, and an ecosystem that can do likewise - something no one has to the degree windows 10 already has, and no one has fully.

Getting those peices in place, for the next reasonably predictable changes in computing is paramount, and more important than chasing the tail end, of the less profitable tail end of the post-adoption smartphone market. Catching the next wave, is more important that the soon dying breaths of the old one.

Whilst people complain about all the mistakes and things that have gone wrong, I myself am also amazed by all the providence and things that are going right.

*Apple refusing the hybridize it's OS, is massive - they clearly had the next best shot at it due to having both a quite scalable mobile OS, and a reasonably established desktop OS. That's something they'll regret later for sure.

*PWA is a surprise blessing - the vast majority of any mobile OS advantage comes in the form of light apps that could easily be served via PWA over 5G. In fact, the only apps that PWA will not be able to cover is high powered, processive intensive apps and games, the sort of which desktop has a massive advantage in. Which really only leaves drawing them over to UWP as an obstacle. The app gap itself, it appears, will entirely resolve itself as an obstacle. Googles massive backing of PWA is also a blessing here.

*Google obviously plans a hybrid OS, the leaked fushia. And they likely back PWA as hard as they do, because of that. But in the early days they seemed more behind getting android apps on fushia. It seems more like now they want to do away with the Linux basis, and android and chrome altogether. Which is why they are so all in on PWA - I suspect they intend to dump their app ecosystems entirely, and sever the past with the Linux base. But that also means that the only thing they really carry to cross the threshold between now and then is branding, services. Ie loyalty and familiarity.

If that android platform is totally burned to the ground, in the transition to hybrid, that provides some market instability Microsoft can capitalize on.

*Partnerships. Microsoft has done excellent work in doing what an underdog should always do - make freinds with others who want to overthrow the king. Amazon, steam, samsung and many others have been meeting with MSFT and making deals. Amazon seems to be making headway in IoT, servers, and would make excellent partners for MSFTs cloud services. Samsung have long wanted to be free of their dependence on google, to the point of being directly antagonistic to them and I suspect would love to get microsoft's OS in on their future graphene devices. Getting steam onside for the VR/AR future was obviously imperative as well, and hopefully some future arrangement can be created for bringing games to UWP, perhaps at least via their streaming services.

*the cloud. Many have much maligned msfts moves in azure, and the intelligent edge as "enterprise" and boring business. What people don't understand is that with IoT, and increased network speeds via faster wifi, faster mobile networks, and faster fibre (which will come, the fibre companies assure me), local speed and local power become less of an issue for latency, and the future is clear, distributed computing. That is to say, google and microsofts investment in cloud based services, cloud based computing are absolutely future consumer platforms. The cloud will not just be for storing data. It'll be for running AI, running tasks and processors, connecting your smart devices - it will be the thing that ties computers, collectively together into something truely controlled by AI. MSFT is doing well to capitalize on enterprise cloud investment, and to build out that cloud into an "intelligent edge" because that absolutely is a part of our future.

Some might see this all as optimism, and perhaps some of it is. I'm a fan after all. But I think in fact this is largely my ability to see beyond the immediate, whats in front of me, the present. Something a lot of people lack the ability to do. Of course, I equally wonder whether tech advancements will last that long, because I see catastrophic problems in the future of the global economy. But not withstanding a new great depression or worse, from where I sit, MSFT has just the right people in charge - people who like me, and unlike apples CEO, can see beyond the present.

This is also how I like to think, some optimism. Not because I think like a consumer, but because of all the companies that could "win the prize" and essentially become the corporate overloads of our future, given the importance of tech, MSFT is the one I distrust the least.

For example, were google in charge of my AI doctor, or apple in charge of the 3d printing of my house, I'm pretty sure I would be living in the sort of dystopia current sold to teenagers as fear pr0n.

Last edited:

Long Xuyen

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
My 820 is getting close to senility so I went to my telco store to assess replacements.The sales guy had never seen one (sooo young) and then was amazed at the hardware ... "they had wireless charging 5 years ago in a mid level phone? Wow, incredible, and a removable battery too? Why can't you buy one now?". Well, how should I answer him nadella?

Shayden M

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Right now I'm using a Nokia 6.1 really love it. I used to have a Lumia 640,535,520 before my current phone . People always used to ask me why I used a Windows Phone , they're are so complicated , there's so little apps and so on . I didn't really care , I just loved my Nokias , and when they went Windows , I followed. Wouldn't mind a new Windows Phone with update SoC and internals and Nokia branding of course. I still have the 535 and it's still going strong ,will always love Windows Phone ,not gonna lie about that .

petrozio

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Some of the more "tech savy" tend to frown on my using of the Lumia 950. I don't care. As long as the browser can get me to a few mobile sites in which an app doesn't exist, I'm fine. Now everyone else is still to this day pretty amazed at my phone. Would have been nice though if we got 1803 on mobile. The extended PWA support would have been nice to bridge us until Andromedia. <-- Waiting for you!

Wheels_____

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I broke out my HP Elite again after giving the iPhone X a spin. I get a fair amount of teasing from family and friends because they consider anything mobile from Microsoft “old”. I do get comments when I’m doing work but the sad part is most folks tell me “it’s too bad Microsoft bailed on their mobile platform”.
The HP Elite and the Nokia 1520 are two of the best devices I’d ever used. It’s a shame that Microsoft can make such a great PC/tablet, (I own a Surface 4 Pro), but drop the ball so monumentally in their mobile division. I hope for the future.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I still use mine for continuum when at work, but use an android device when I'm out because I've gotten used to the convenience of android pay.

Hopefully Microsoft will figure out a mobile payment platform with whatever ultra mobile play they roll out this year.
I don't worry about mobile payment on Windows anymore. I use a Fitbit Ionic and it works perfectly. If by some miracle they turn on Edge notifications for mobile then I'll be all set.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the HP Elite x3. It's a pretty standard black slab. Nobody looks at it and says "what is that?" It has come up a few times in the office casually - I work at an IT company - and it's usually a pretty neutral response. There's definitely a bit of uniqueness with about 90% of the office on Android, 5% on iOS, and 5% on old BlackBerry 10's. There's also some pity that I invested so much in something which died a year later (the hardware is still in fantastic shape, but doesn't mean much if I can't even get Microsoft apps like Planner).

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I broke out my HP Elite again after giving the iPhone X a spin. I get a fair amount of teasing from family and friends because they consider anything mobile from Microsoft “old”. I do get comments when I’m doing work but the sad part is most folks tell me “it’s too bad Microsoft bailed on their mobile platform”.
The HP Elite and the Nokia 1520 are two of the best devices I’d ever used. It’s a shame that Microsoft can make such a great PC/tablet, (I own a Surface 4 Pro), but drop the ball so monumentally in their mobile division. I hope for the future.
Pay no attention to the teasing. I think the "Windows XP" chicklet icon style screens of apple and google phones looks old fashioned / dated to me.

I think everyone should support what they like. Pay no attention to the madness of crowds. Be strong, stand up and be counted, supporting what you like.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

Dan12R

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
In most cases, when people ask about my phone, it's the first time they heard about Windows Mobile. I've had some fun conversations over the years.
Person, seeing me run Continuum: "I see you hooked your computer up to your TV."
Me: "That's my phone."
Person: "WHAT!?! That's possible??? That's awesome!"

Person at booth at a security conference promoting their mobile security product: "I bet I can hack your phone in 2 minutes or less."
Me: "You're welcome to try."
Person: "iOS or Android?"
Me: "Windows"
Person: "I can't hack your phone then."

Regular comment I get: "What do you mean your phone runs Windows??? Is that even possible?"

I also get a whole bunch of comments from people I know who work for Microsoft, especially when they introduce me to their coworkers and tell their coworkers I run Windows 10 Mobile.

jrealtor1

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
They usually respond by saying, "What kind of phone is that?" Followed by, "I didnt know Microsoft had phones!" ...but seriously, why is this site even asking this question? I hear Daniel Rubino complain that windows fans wont let mobile die, but yet here we are with a question from Windows Central asking about windows phones again. Really guys...let it go already!

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
First, I don't know anyone who "rocks" a phone. Does one "rock" a microwave oven?

Second, back when I actually had a Windows phone, my family just thought I was weird. No one else noticed or cared. Looking back, I WAS just weird. Trying to "be different" by "not following the crowd". I actually WAS following a crowd, just a much smaller crowd.

Third, I don't "daily drive" a phone. I use it. Nor do I "daily drive" a microwave oven.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"Most people have no clue what so ever what OS they have on their phones. When people see my phone I tell them it's a Microsoft Phone and it's running Windows mobile they have no clue wtf I'm talking about."

That's because most people are not OS geeks. Windows phone users sound like Linux fans. Always talking about how great the OS is. "Linux is such a great OS. Why are you still running Windoze?"

Yawn.

No one buys ANYTHING - a PC, a phone, tablet, whatever - to run an OS. They buy it to run the apps they need/want to run. They would buy it even if it was running CP/M and GEM, as long as they could do everything they wanted to do on it.

Only OS geeks brag about the OS they are running, trying to impress other OS geeks. The rest of the world will have no clue what you are yammering on about. Nor will they care. We just want to watch a movie, check our email and maybe order a pizza.

Its like a bunch of gear heads arguing about Ford/Chevy/Chrysler/whatever, and which tires are the best, and compression ratios, and 4 barrel carburetors vs fuel injection. And on and on. Meanwhile, the rest of us just want to drive to the restaurant to get a pizza and a beer.

To most people, a phone (or a car) is just a means to an end. It is not a way of life. Those who let the nitty gritty details become their life are OS geeks (or gear heads).

Not that there is anything wrong with either. The world needs both OS geeks and gear heads. Just don't expect others to share your passion for YOUR OS or YOUR carburetor. Expect eyes to glaze over when either comes up in the conversation over the pizza and beer.

clrt

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
yea it's hard to explain how simple and easy it is to use my windows phone to others. I just tell them it does everything I need it to do. I hope that Microsoft will continue to produce a mobile platform so I don't have to choose something that I feel is inferior to my windows phone.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I work from home a ton so I don't get too much public exposure with my Lumia 950 XL, but my daughters friends actually love the phone. My daughter only recently moved off Windows Phone because her old screen broke.

Personally I have never had any negative conversations and the most recent unsolicited conversation was very positive. Unless Microsoft comes out with a phone I will probably move to Android vs Apple when my 950 finally dies of old age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro