How do people see you when you say to them that "You are using Windows phone”?

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, happened to me two days ago. We have a new intern at work and he saw me using Continuum on my Lumia 950XL. He was blown away at the fact that he had no idea the phone or the technology existed. I gave him my phone and he was like, it's just like my laptop with live tiles and all. I shook my head and told him how I've always been on Windows devices but unfortunately it's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
That said, I have tried jumping ship and have returned. Will stay till the OS and apps on it become unusable for my needs. My only issue, which recently showed up again for the second time, is Bank of America leaving the platform. Those check deposits are important to me. I will have to hang on to my 950XL, as Android is not for me (I have a Samsung tablet). And iPhone I cannot even imagine using again, since my last temporary jumping ship. Push comes to shove, I'll have no choice but to go Android.
Andromeda!!! Where are you? Wish all of the folding device rumors are true and we'll have a Surface Phone/pocket device this year. I'll be all over it.

Last edited:

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
On a 737, awaiting takeoff a month ago, I sat next to a kind gentleman who was also destined for Seattle. About 30 minutes in, I noticed him noticing my Windows Phone as I changed music. He politely inquired: "I see you are using a Windows Phone, why is that?" To which I replied: "Because I'm stupid, or stubborn. I've always used them, this one still works great, I don't care about SnapChat and there's a slim hope for a mythical "Surface Phone" they are supposed to be working on". He then told me he loved his Windows Phone until he lost it on a hike recently.

It turns out he's a Microsoft engineer that was working on the phone project and over the course of a longer conversation I learned that he's working on the "next thing" as well. I told him everything I've heard about the new device and he stated "sometimes, rumors are not wrong" -citing the fact that he can't confirm anything concrete. I asked him point blank about whether or not I should bite the bullet and by a nice Android device as I'd been contemplating. He told me in no uncertain terms that, as a business user, I would be very disappointed in wasting my money" if I did and that I should wait foe what would be released "very soon". He confirmed he's using "something" in his office every day that he wishes he could take out but that has to be kept under wraps for now. We discussed the way they were porting 32-bit software into Apps and much more.

Honestly, I thought I had hit the Windows Phone ****** jackpot. We said our good-byes at the end of the flight and I thanked him for keeping me from wasting my money. So, my 950 XL will have to trudge on a little longer. Surface Phone/Andromeda/Journal/whatever you are called, I await your debut.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I used my Lumia 750 until the antenna died out. At that point they had announced removing support for mobile OS. I loved windows phone. I admit the app gap sucked but I just used the browser for apps I didn't have which mostly worked fine.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
On a 737, awaiting takeoff a month ago, I sat next to a kind gentleman who was also destined for Seattle. About 30 minutes in, I noticed him noticing my Windows Phone as I changed music. He politely inquired: "I see you are using a Windows Phone, why is that?" To which I replied: "Because I'm stupid, or stubborn. I've always used them, this one still works great, I don't care about SnapChat and there's a slim hope for a mythical "Surface Phone" they are supposed to be working on". He then told me he loved his Windows Phone until he lost it on a hike recently.

It turns out he's a Microsoft engineer that was working on the phone project and over the course of a longer conversation I learned that he's working on the "next thing" as well. I told him everything I've heard about the new device and he stated "sometimes, rumors are not wrong" -citing the fact that he can't confirm anything concrete. I asked him point blank about whether or not I should bite the bullet and by a nice Android device as I'd been contemplating. He told me in no uncertain terms that, as a business user, I would be very disappointed in wasting my money" if I did and that I should wait foe what would be released "very soon". He confirmed he's using "something" in his office every day that he wishes he could take out but that has to be kept under wraps for now. We discussed the way they were porting 32-bit software into Apps and much more.

Honestly, I thought I had hit the Windows Phone ****** jackpot. We said our good-byes at the end of the flight and I thanked him for keeping me from wasting my money. So, my 950 XL will have to trudge on a little longer. Surface Phone/Andromeda/Journal/whatever you are called, I await your debut.

You just gave me tremendous amount of hope. Read my comment above as I was wishing all these rumors were true. Thank you!

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you Sholokov with some exceptions. I do not really use Continuum regularly except when I project to my TV. When Andromeda comes out, I'm hoping Andromeda can eventually replace all my devices. That may not be the case at version 1.0 of Andromeda, but I expect a pocketable PC will meet all my computing needs eventually. In terms of apps, when I'm home, I don't really use my phone. I only use my phone for calls, check the weather, and play music. I use my laptop for everything else. The laptop has a bigger screen and keyboard. I don't really understand why people use their phones at home when they have a computer. I think they get into the habit of using their phones and the apps on their phones, and then don't bother configuring their laptop for similar workflows. That is unfortunate, because the phone is so small and arduous to use. I believe this is why I don't really feel the "app gap" with my Lumia 950. I really only use it when I'm on the go. And when I use it on the go, it has to be something that is required because I am on the go. I do not use apps to relieve boredom while on the go, and I do not use apps that will distract me while on the go. I also do not use apps on the go for things that don't happen that often. In other words, if it can wait until I get home; like banking or the occasional on-line shopping purchase. When Andromeda becomes my only computing device, I will enjoy the same app experience on a desktop form factor and phone form factor. I currently already enjoy the same app experience now between my Lumia 950 and Windows 10 laptop for many apps. Most of the apps I use are UWP, and I can use them on both places with the same experience.

anon(10458357)

May 11, 2018
Visit site
The only thing I'm embarrassed about is that Microsoft wimped out and gave up. So yeah, people don't comment so much anymore because frankly the phone is showing its age. Compared to a new iPhone or Android a once innovative and forward thinking phone looks like an oldie-but-goodie at best.

C'mon MS you can do better than this! Stop with the yellow-bellied cowardice already. Give us a Surface phone. If that fails then fine, we can move on. But show some back bone! At least try!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When someone other than myself starts paying my bills, I will give their opinions some thought. Until then, I will continue using Windows, iOS, Mac OS, Chrome OS and whatever else I feel like using. Don't let um fool ya or even try to school ya.

Shane Usher

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My HP Elite X3 is great, but the progressive feature reduction in the OS over the years has been frustrating. There were great features in WP8 and WP8.1 that are gone. Microsoft has dropped the ball.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I start to using lumia 720-925 and now I'm using 930(icon) It's the best smartphone.my friends told me that "let's buy an iphone" I love It's design and os because of that I cant buy another phone. Still I'm waiting for the Surface Phone...

Billy Kurtz

Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
I get a few different reactions. The 2 most frequent are in very different scenarios.

950XL

1st: I use it to pay at Starbucks and very often the cashier will notice and think it is cool looking phone. They often as my purple 💜 color scheme. Personally I don't understand the "Cool looking" thing. Most phones are essentially a rectangular screen. Unless they actually see the home screen how different is it?

2nd: When I run into WP user we share our joy in having and using the platform and then we compare phones. It still impresses me when I see people holding into a pretty old WP. Now we also commiserate about the day we may have to give in like Mr. Gates did.

Andromeda, we are watching for you.

The biggest loss of an app that hit me the hardest happened the second year after I bought my first 928. MLB AtBat came free with my WP that first summer, I bought it the second summer for $9.99 and I was about to listen to my Pirates. Then the next season it was not available to buy.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh, actually one person did comment on my phone. They saw the UI, and said "why can't I have that", so I set up a windows phone like launcher on android for them.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Person: Oh you have a windows phone! I think I should give that a try.

me: "you can't buy one, they're pretty much not making anymore"

Person: What? I just heard about it!

I still use mine for continuum when at work, but use an android device when I'm out because I've gotten used to the convenience of android pay.

Hopefully Microsoft will figure out a mobile payment platform with whatever ultra mobile play they roll out this year.

eddydu

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Person: Oh you have a windows phone! I think I should give that a try.

me: "you can't buy one, they're pretty much not making anymore"

Person: What? I just heard about it!

People are actually impressed with the live tiles. When I was using the 1520 people thought it was a tablet which was awesome phone. That was probably my best phone I ever carried

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
@ReachJasonHere with our luck, you may have sat next to a troll
Look at the poor guy who said an insider told him something to be announced at build. :unhappy:

Either way, it doesn't matter anymore at this point. Still using going to keep using my phones until I can't anymore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs