Q Global Questions

Cascade#IM

Nov 21, 2006
Visit site
Looking for a bit of advice. I played with a Q Global yesterday and it was actually pretty nice. I'm coming from Palm OS and have played with WM Pro quite a bit, and the Standard was surprisingly (and refreshingly) easy to use. Here are my big concerns that I'm looking for help with:

1. How limited is Standard? Will I be running into cool programs for WM that don't work on Standard often? What are the real-world differences besides the obvious touchscreen?

2. Is there a way to access the GPS functions without TeleNav? I've seen stuff about a hack for the CDMA version, but not much on the Q Global. Can it be done?

3. How well does Docs To Go work on the Global? I use it daily on Palm OS, but it's one of the programs I pull the stylus out for. Is it really usable without the touchscreen?

4. Do folks who go from touchscreen to Standard go nuts? Is it a deal-breaker?

5. What do folks use for screen protectors on a flush screen like this?

Thanks for anything you can offer!

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
1. How limited is Standard? Will I be running into cool programs for WM that don't work on Standard often? What are the real-world differences besides the obvious touchscreen?

The main real world difference, IMO, is that Standard does a better job managing memory behind the scenes. ;) Honestly, though, most of the software you'll want either works on both or is available in a standard format. The main thing you'll find is you're digging into menus more often instead of tapping the screen. Just start memorizing the keyboard/letter shortcuts for menu items.

2. Is there a way to access the GPS functions without TeleNav? I've seen stuff about a hack for the CDMA version, but not much on the Q Global. Can it be done?

Yep, surur's post above. Used with Live Search, it's a dream.

3. How well does Docs To Go work on the Global? I use it daily on Palm OS, but it's one of the programs I pull the stylus out for. Is it really usable without the touchscreen?

It's actually very usable. And relatively quick, too, which is a good thing since there's no default memo app on standard. :mad: :mad:

4. Do folks who go from touchscreen to Standard go nuts? Is it a deal-breaker?

I ended up liking it better, for what that's worth.

5. What do folks use for screen protectors on a flush screen like this?

I either use a bodyguarz over the whole thing or nothing. Protecting the screen isn't as high a priority on a non-touchscreen, but these use plastic instead of glass and sometimes it's a relatively soft plastic. so if you have any concern at all I would get one.

sf7307

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
Q global GPS

Could you be a little more specific about the GPS solution at MoDaCo. The link takes you to the MoDaCo home page and I'm not sure what it is your're suggesting to solve the GPS "issue". Thanks.

packers17-0#WP

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Could you be a little more specific about the GPS solution at MoDaCo. The link takes you to the MoDaCo home page and I'm not sure what it is your're suggesting to solve the GPS "issue". Thanks.

I dont know what he was suggesting by sending you to the MoDaCo site but if you do a search on that site for Q9h GPS, you'll find a few different solutions for GPS. I'm currently using Garmin Mobile XT on my Q9h and it works amazingly well, I get full detailed maps for all of North America. You could also go with Windows Live search or Google maps, both of those will use the GPS chip built in to the Q9h but also supplement routing and location by using your phone's data services, so you'll want to have a fairly large data plan.

Hope that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077