Switch from 755p to Q9c?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm considering moving from Palm OS with a Q9c. I've had a 600, a 700p, and now a 755p, and Palm OS is feeling a bit stale to me.

I really do like the Palm interface, especially for one-handedness, so I don't think I can go to WM6 Pro because its too dependent on the touchscreen.

I've been playing with the WM device emulator and it seems like WM can do most of the things I'd want it to. In addition, the built-in GPS on the Q9c is very attractive to me.

I know the processor is about the same speed, but will that be an issue with WM as compared to Palm OS?

I guess the only programs that I use the touchscreen for anyway are games, but how have others who have made a similar switch adjusted?

Besides the lack of a touchscreen will I notice too many limitations as compared to Palm OS with the standard WM as opposed to Pro?

Edit: One last thing. One thing I'm pretty sure I'll miss quite a bit is the ringer switch. How difficult is it to switch from ringing to vibrate?

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
There are a quite a few of these discussions at sprintusers.com in the PDA section - but I'll let others give you the WM Pro vs. Standard comparisons. I came from a T650 to the Q last year and really did not miss the touchscreen at all. I tried the Mogul last year for a few weeks and really determined I don't care that much for a touchscreen. But, YMMV.

As for the last question - My Q9c homescreen defaults to "Profile". To change from normal to vibrate requires: From the homescreen - action key (middle 5-way), down key twice. action key again.

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I made the same switch, and I really don't miss the touch screen at all. I even learned how to play Solitaire without it. Navigation on the Q9 is not as elegant as on the treo, but you get used to it. the major annoyance is the lack of a "page down" in Outlook Mobile. Fortunately, Opera Mobile provides the space bar for that purpose. I also miss a few programs that I used to depend on, but one by one, I'm finding alternatives.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So I finally made the switch... well actually I made it a little while ago, but Sprint couldn't activate the first one so I had to wait for a second to be sent.

I'm not going to lie, there have been a few times where I started to reach to touch the screen (mostly on forms with a few different text entry boxes).

Other than that though, I'm not minding the lack of a touchscreen at all, multitasking is really nice, as is the built-in GPS.

I've had the (working) phone for a day now, and already have had one of the major issues I always had with Windows Mobile that I'd forgotten about... My registry got corrupted and I lost all of my settings. (Why doesn't Microsoft provide some sort of redundancy for the registry again?) That was actually after the third time I had done a Master Reset. The first and second were due to some freezing issues on the homescreen that I think were caused by downloading too many emails (250 in 2 IMAP mailboxes). Funny, Chatter never had an issue with that. After those two master resets I set it to only download 3 days worth of messages as opposed to the whole mailbox, and no more freezing. Also, after the registry corruption thing, I installed sprite backup, and so hopefully if it ever happens again, I should be fine.

I know this post sounds pretty negative. I am definitely happy with my switch, but lets just say my first day with it was very problematic. Hopefully from here on out things will be better.

Also, Resco Defender has me hooked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos