Hello Al

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the forum, joining to learn all that I can about Windows Phone. Some background.

Until about three years ago, most of my phones were "Pocket PCs", running the predecessor operating system of Windows Phone. I used mainly unlocked HTC devices, the last being the Tilt. I had some forays into Nokia phones with the Symbion operating system. Being a gadget guy, all of my friends were surprised that I did not grab the first iPhone. I travel a lot in my business, and I could not use the iPhone until the iOS had turn-by-turn navigation enabled. When the 3GS cam out, I was eligible for an upgrade, and I grabbed one.

I was very pleased with the phone, as I consider the iOS to be elegant. It just works. I had one recurring problem with the phone and its operating system. I use a bluetooth headset, and I generally leave it on. The iOS operating system, from its inception and through the recently released iOS 6, does not allow you to disable voice control for the iPOD ap (you can disable voice dialing). I had several instances of the phone suddenly start to play loud music in movie theaters and business meetings. I don't consider myself and Apple basher, but to me, this is arrogant and unacceptable. My solution is to have no music on my iPhone.

When my contract was up after 2 years, I decided to try Android. I got an HTC Inspire from AT&T at an attractive price. I found the operating system OK, but not nearly as seamless and elegant as iOS, and I found myself switching back to the iPhone fairly regularly. When the Galaxy Note came out, I got an unlocked version before AT&T released it. I got it mainly for the Wacom Digitizer, hoping to use it for short note-taking in meetings when my convertible tablet was not out and booted. I again found the Android operating system more complex and convoluted than iOS.

On some of the Android forums, there is a recurring theme that for unlocked and rooted phones, you can install customized ROMs and further customize them, and that is a major advantage. They say that the iOS is for people who just want to use their phones as they come from the factory. Well, that works for me. I want a phone that works, and my Note really suffered from instability through at least 3 updates when ICS came out.

So, that brings me to where I am today. I've started reading about Windows Phone, and the devices from Nokia and HTC (both companies whose devices I've found to be high quality). In anticipation of the newest devices and Window Phone 8, I've ordered an AT&T locked (but without contract) Nokia Lumia 900. I'm looking forward to taking it out and seeing what it can do.

I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade in Feb of 2013, and my decision will be between an iPhone 5 and probably a Lumia 920.

I'm looking forward to my participation here.

Ron

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. That was a pretty thorough post about your background. I think you'll find that many of us have very similar experiences.

The Lumia 900 will give you a great idea about how the user interface works, and general philosophy of the OS. It's very task-centric as opposed to app-centric. So that party take a little adjusting to. It's not just a different looking OS, but it's a different way of thinking about data and social connections.

WP8 is expected to be a huge upgrade in terms of app development potential. I'm sure you've already read about it sharing the same kernel as Windows 8. MS has a lot of plans for making Windows desktops, tablets, and phones work together seamlessly.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Wpcentral Man.

For the 920 and iphone thing. I think you should wait for the 920 first. why?. you got a perfectly working phone. and iphone is not really an upgrade to anything useful except LTE and 4 inch screen. the 920 has wireless charging, NFC, Pureview Camera, Puremotion HD+ Display and sensitive screen meaning you cn use keys or gloves or anything really.

ronr9286t

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Wpcentral Man.

For the 920 and iphone thing. I think you should wait for the 920 first. why?. you got a perfectly working phone. and iphone is not really an upgrade to anything useful except LTE and 4 inch screen. the 920 has wireless charging, NFC, Pureview Camera, Puremotion HD+ Display and sensitive screen meaning you cn use keys or gloves or anything really.
My thinking is that I want to use my upgrade on the next device I'll have for a few years. I wanted to try out WP to get a sense of it, and the no-contract Lumia 900 seems to be a good way to do it. I'll probably sell my unlocked Galaxy Note phone, as I picked up a G Note 10.1 for note-taking. My upgrade eligibility is in Feb 2013, and by then I'll know which direction I'll head to. I'm hoping it will be the L 920 and WP 8.

By the way, the title of the thread should be "Hello ALL".

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit