Tomorrow is the day!

cmdates2991

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Tomorrow I get my first Windows Phone device! Pretty excited about it simply because I love a lot of what I've seen of the OS so far. I love the style, smooth, and overall integration I've seen.

BUT don't welcome me with fully open arms yet as I'm not fully committed just yet. I really love what Microsoft is doing but I'm not sure yet whether it's something I can fully commit myself to for the next year. I've been with Android since the D1 and while I love it I'm simply in the mood for a change of environment. I plan on keeping my device for 10 days and at that point I'll have to decide whether or not I can stick with my device for the next year. If not I'll be switching to an Iphone 5 (I know, I know but it actually is a pretty nifty device).

Hopefully that won't be the case because I really do love the OS, but I also am not really in the mood at the moment to stick it through with another OS as it grows to it's full potential. I've been lurking the forums everyday for weeks and there seems to be a ton of love for Windows Phone, but there also is an almost equal amount of lamenting over things like missing features/apps. Most of the feature requests are over small things and refinements but it's those things that really add up and create the best possible user experience.

Either way it turns out. I'm really happy to be a part of the community. And if I do leave, it is almost assured I'll be back next October for my upgrade.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You have to sift through the store to find the good apps. But there are plenty of good ones on there. I came from the iPhone and I'm not gonna look back.
Sent from my Lumia 822 using Board Express

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My wife just got an iPhone 5 much to my disappointment. What I have found amazing is how much easier my windows phone is. In addition to a keyboard I don't like its just not intuitive. There are some apps that make me envious at times but I have never regretted getting my windows phone.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure to remember it's a different experience than Android so any sense of how things "should be" can't be fully compared and contrasted to given the age and development cycles of each mobile OS.

tarzanmarzan

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Remember, it can be a little intimidating or daunting or even disappointing when you start to customize your home screen. But it really does personalize you a lot! Just remember to find good apps and see what works with you. People love to see how all my shopping apps are put together with the major live tiles expanded to show deals. Also they find it handy that I always place the basic functions in mediums tiles near the top so they don't get overwhelmed when they have to make a call or text.

Anyway I hope you enjoy it and if you have any questions feel free to ask here or create a new topic. I'll be following this post should you require assistance

cmdates2991

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Customization is one thing I'm really looking forward too. Changing my homescreen around is something I spent a lot of time doing on android. It's one of the reasons I'm really hoping I'll stay with WP as IOS will always have that same boring style. After 6 years you would think they'd realize that the overall look of the the OS is very boring and doesn't really give the feeling of being sleek and stylish. WP has mastered this part from the beginning and Stock Android has made huge improvements in this are in it's last few major updates.

I've spent extensive time with both Android and IOS. So I know exactly what I'm in for if I switch. The main reason I'm considering IOS is simply app envy. There are a few really great apps that I know I just won't have (heck, some of them I won't even have if I stay with android). I know the apps are coming and that there are apps that compare to what I'm looking for located in the Marketplace. It just depends on whats there and what I can deal with not having.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

I hope you like your new WP. There are a lot of folks who will be able to help you find apps/customize your device.

No matter if you decide to use something different, please do stick around. Beside the Forums, the front page News articles always have a lot of great information about what's new. Even if Windows Phone isn't for you now, it might just be right for you in the future.

cmdates2991

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought for me to make a decision. I'll stick with it. It may be the high from having a new device but I'm loving every moment with it so far just as much as I had hoped I would. If I want apps I can grab an Ipod because everything about this device is great (well the keyboard is taking some time to get used to). So smooth and well done. I even extended my Xbox Music subscription by a month just so I'd have music to listen to with taking up much space.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it didn't take nearly as long as I thought for me to make a decision. I'll stick with it. It may be the high from having a new device but I'm loving every moment with it so far just as much as I had hoped I would. If I want apps I can grab an Ipod because everything about this device is great (well the keyboard is taking some time to get used to). So smooth and well done. I even extended my Xbox Music subscription by a month just so I'd have music to listen to with taking up much space.
Great to hear you're happy with your new device. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3