Just purchased a Lumia 920

fezj

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So my S3 decided to randomly die on me yesterday and I couldn't wait for the replacement unit so I purchased a Lumia 920.

First impressions (in points):-

1) Amazing device, solid and beautiful design
2) Amazing camera
3) Feeling the need for a notification light and better notification management in the os.
4) Apps!!! Now that wp8 dev is more open and easier for devs where are the apps?? Even the popular ones like whatsapp dropbox and viber VoIP...
5) Os seems really locked down :( there's not even a system wide proxy / authentication setting built in)

I love Nokia and I have faith that Microsoft will eventually get the os right, perhaps Apollo+. Just hope it happens sooner rather than later!

JSern

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So my S3 decided to randomly die on me yesterday and I couldn't wait for the replacement unit so I purchased a Lumia 920.

First impressions (in points):-

1) Amazing device, solid and beautiful design
2) Amazing camera
3) Feeling the need for a notification light and better notification management in the os.
4) Apps!!! Now that wp8 dev is more open and easier for devs where are the apps?? Even the popular ones like whatsapp dropbox and viber VoIP...
5) Os seems really locked down :( there's not even a system wide proxy / authentication setting built in)

I love Nokia and I have faith that Microsoft will eventually get the os right, perhaps Apollo+. Just hope it happens sooner rather than later!

Can you please explain what is 5) about?

fezj

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I should've just said that was general complaints with the os, basically...

It takes ages to go in and out of settings I can't have quick toggles for wifi / bluetooth (perhaps I'm a newbie and there ISS a way)

I would love to pin a shortcut from INSIDE the settings app into my start screen because I do check my battery a lot and it's a pain to go inside settings all the time to check the percentage

Lack of ability to turn certain Live tiles off. (this exists in Windows 8), I guess I could always make them smaller but it would have been nice to keep the large icon and turn the tiles off

Besides that I want more customization options to be honest I really want the ability to use this on networks where I need to use a proxy + authentication to get internet access.

Last edited:

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I should've just said that was general complaints with the os, basically...

It takes ages to go in and out of settings I can't have quick toggles for wifi / bluetooth (perhaps I'm a newbie and there ISS a way)

I would love to pin a shortcut from INSIDE the settings app into my start screen because I do check my battery a lot and it's a pain to go inside settings all the time to check the percentage

Lack of ability to turn certain Live tiles off. (this exists in Windows 8), I guess I could always make them smaller but it would have been nice to keep the large icon and turn the tiles off

Besides that I want more customization options to be honest I really want the ability to use this on networks where I need to use a proxy + authentication to get internet access.

There is an app called connectivity shortcuts that you can pin to your start screen for turning on and off Bluetooth / wifi etc.

I don't know if you saw the frontpage article about whatsapp, it was there, but they are updating it for WP8 - coming soon!

Check out this link App #Switch It was featured on WPcentral a few days ago, it will help you find apps similar to ones you were using on Android as sometimes the names are different.

And welcome, this platform is growing fast and just like the first iphone, if we show our support, apps will come!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You can turn live tiles off, but it is app dependent. There are quite a few apps (most that I know of) that allow you to do just that. It is usually within the settings menu. The only ones you cannot turn off the live tile feature are the me and people tiles.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Greetings,

Many of the people coming from Android are having adjustment issues with their switch to WP8 for that very reason. Android is so open its a bit challenging for them to accept a locked-down OS. That fortunately, or unfortunately depending upon your perspective isn't going to change any time soon. MS is looking to get their device in the enterprise arena. The openeness is the very reason Android cannot get their foot in the door in that environment.

G/L to ya.

fezj

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
First off, thanks a lot for the advice! I just installed Wiztiles and got my quick wifi toggle back :D. Thanks for the tip regarding App #Switch, I'm going to check out a few alternatives to Viber for Voip (till viber is available properly)

I have one question, my battery seems to have drained completely within 6-7 hours. I was not doing anything that would drain the battery other than using kik messenger... have any of you experienced this issue and do you always keep the phone on battery saver mode?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Battery drain is a hot topic here. I don't have any issues. I'm only charging every two to three days. Here are some tips I have seen.

Do a hard reset - Please do your research on this first. Some phones will brick but they be brought back.
Remove as many background tasks as possible.
Turn off things you do not use frequently (Wi-FI, BT, NFC, etc)
Always ensure to close out of running programs your not using atm. My battery will drain if I leave apps open overnight.

fezj

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
2-3 days!!! WOW!! My battery isn't even lasting a mere 5 hours!

I'm quite worried, I was using KiK but I checked Windows Phone Store reviews and apparently it gets really hot and drains battery (both of which I'm experiencing). Now I don't know what to do. Also, I just found out that twitter is not available for my market (saudi) pretty disappointing that an app by MS isn't available.

fezj

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd post an update. I've taken it to Nokia Care because of how fast the battery was draining and how hot it was getting. The main issue however was that it used to take me 2-3 minutes to search an app on the store and 5 minutes for it to download. I was 100% sure it wasn't my Sim or connection coz I used my S3 for 6-7 months on 3G / HSPA+ and I used to even stream HQ youtube videos just fine. : \
Going to find out tomorrow whether they'll replace it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs