New Windows Phone User

jwilliams

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys! I'm new to the Windows Phone ecosystem and this forum. I just recently bought the Nokia Lumia 820 and after a few days of working out the kinks I really like it. My Smartphone progression has been the Blackberry Curve 8310 - IPhone 3GS - Motorola Atrix 4g - and now Lumia 820 so you can see I'm searching for the right combination of hardware and OS. So far I love the OS and the hardware seems to be top notch for the price. I will say the only problem I have so far is probably the same problem everyone else has, the apps. Not only are they more limited in functionality in WP as opposed to IOS or Android but those same apps that would be free elsewhere actually cost in the Windows store. Throw in the fact that the Facebook app is even worse than the one on android (which everyone complained about but has gotten better), no Pandora, and Google is doing everything they can to not support Windows Phone and I'm kind of discouraged. There are good things, I love the browser (except for lack of flash but its leaving Android too) and the OS is easily the best looking OS out there. All that said I plan on hanging around here if you don't mind and you can call me Jason or Dude Guru. Hopefully I can, with your help, find apps to flesh out the experience better so I'll be lurking in here a bit. Thanks!

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! It really is an amazing OS experience and there are new apps coming all the time (even pandora is coming to WP soon with 1 year ad-free experience!)

If you ever need anything, there are MORE than enough people here ready to help with anything :) Enjoy your new 820!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I think once you give WP its fair due, you will see the differences in the os'. There are some things WP can't do and some things other os' can't do. I try and maximize the things this os does and not worry about what it can't. I'm not a user of Pandora, Spotify, Instagram, etc. so those not being on the platform now, don't bother me. Let me know if I can help.

jwilliams

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! That's great news about Pandora. I did some searching and it found the only indication is "early 2013". Hopefully it's soon. Couple of questions, is there any other reason besides market share that WP is slow to get apps? Is it harder to code for WP8? Any reason that normally free apps elsewhere cost in the windows store, even if it is just $ .99? The other thing and it may just be the way the Lumia measures it but coming from the Atrix the Lumia seems to have a weaker cell signal even when it's only on 3G or 4G. Anyone have any radio expertise know if its actually weaker?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Welcome. You're here at a good time. I expect to see significant growth over the next year, and you get to come along for the ride.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Couple of questions, is there any other reason besides market share that WP is slow to get apps? Is it harder to code for WP8? Any reason that normally free apps elsewhere cost in the windows store, even if it is just $ .99?

This my personal opinion, but I think the big devs still look at WP8 as a second-rate platform. I've not been impressed with some of the commercials. Instead of having girls dancing around, I think they need to highlight the unique features of the os. Show more real-world user features.

Supposedly, the new kernel for WP8/W8 makes it easier to dev for the platform. I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is true or not.

I would guess, it is the developers decision on whether or not to charge for their app on WP. I've been pretty sheltered in my smartphone usage. Started with a Palm Treo -> Blackberry -> Palm Pre+ -> Windows Phone. Never used Android or iOS, so I can't compare apps from those os' to WP. When I read reviews of apps I'm interested in installing, there are lots of comments "Not as good as "X" or "X". If developers looked at WP as a first-class platform, they would take the time to produce as good quality app as they do on the other platforms. It is up to us as users to encourage and demand quality apps from those developers.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Its really simple. Lack of user market share. Until WP picks up more significant market share, developers will focus on where the money is.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I really wouldn't worry too much about the apps. The difference between MS's Marketplace and Google play and the apps store is that marketplace has much more quality apps, not much junk on marketplace, besides which the amount of apps on marketplace is only going to rise, its just a matter of time. I doubt google play had as many apps at 2 years old. Another thing as this is quite a new thread I just wanted to point out that satisfyingly I have seen a fair amount of facebook posts over Christmas saying "posted via windows phone". It seams that more people and teens have got windows phones this Christmas instead of blackberrys and andoids. All the ones ive spoken to say they are now converted ^_^

jwilliams

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The difference between MS's Marketplace and Google play and the apps store is that marketplace has much more quality apps, not much junk on marketplace...
Um, not true in the least. If I'm reading this right, you are saying the there are more quality apps in the WP marketplace than Google Play? It's true that simply because of sheer volume there is more junk in Google Play but to say that the quality of the apps are better in WP is just ridiculous. I'm not bashing WP, I sincerely hope it does become a dominant OS but out of all the apps that I have on both Android and WP the quality and functionality is almost always better on android. Some of the apps are more aesthetically pleasing on WP but that's about it.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Its really simple. Lack of user market share. Until WP picks up more significant market share, developers will focus on where the money is.

I agree to a degree. I think this is also a catch 22. We won't get more market share until we get the big apps everyone (not myself) complains about not having. MS has got to get the youtube videos into the mainstream TV land. The video of Kerri Walsh is exactly what needs to be airing on TV.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
i love my lumia 920 but it does seem windows store is slow to get customers from other os to switch
and it does have alot to do with the windows apps the reason people wont switch to windows
hence devs not wanting to build apps for us . we want pandora not FANDORA.
third party apps work but there just that third party not official.
i get were starting from scratch but when new car companies want to start making cars they dont start with a horse n buggy
they build a car that has to better than the rest...... i......we want the best!!

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Yeah, the kinks should be worked out in time. Welcome aboard anyway.

Welcome to the community :excited:

(IMAGE SNIPPED)

Sorry about the pic it looks a bit creepy but anyway welcome :wink:

Ha, you copied me for that, going to use an intro image. Although I copied TheWeeBear. Will create another flashier intro thing in Adobe Flash (or maybe Adobe After Effects) though. Then save it as an animated GIF. Then I'll start using that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2