New Windows Phone user from England here

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone. I got fed up with important websites no longer supporting my antique:shocked: HTC TyTN II Windows Mobile 6.0 phone so I updated to something with Windows Phone. I wanted a device with a proper physical keyboard and from what I can tell, that ruled out all the latest WP8 devices so I bought a refurbished (good as new) HTC 7 Pro. I've filled in my profile here as much as I can but it won't let me select my new phone model, only the Arrive and not the European 7 Pro.

I've updated this phone to WP 7.8 (initially only updates to WP 7.5 were available on Zune but a few days later the remainder up to WP 7.8 popped up). I really like the new phone and it feels much nicer to use than my old TyTN II (even though it doesn't support TomTom Navigator) but it's quite a steep learning curve swapping from the far more clunky pointy stylus controlled WM 6.0 to WP 7.8. No task manager, no way of closing apps (if that's needed?), no call duration timers to tell me how long I've been on each call (incl received calls) but it is a very stylish phone. I'm waiting for my Windows Phone 7 Secrets book that I've ordered to arrive - hopefully that will still be highly relevant, even though it was published before 7.8 came along.

Have any of you using WP 7.5 or newer in the UK managed to find anything for grocery shopping price comparisons - I was looking forward to using ShopSavvy but although it installs, UK price comparisons aren't provided. Even the WP 7.8 built in barcode scanning functionality comes up with more offers (although the main supermarkets here don't seem to pop up for the things I've test scanned so far). Lots more learning to come...

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral, and WP7.8 :smile:

Had a TyTN II myself, back in the day.

Can't help with the supermarket price comparison app question directly - most of the price comparison apps that work in the UK seem geared towards consumer goods, but bear in mind that WP7 supports a lot of mobile-friendly (HTML5) websites so you may find something by looking for mobile sites.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard ⚓ always great to have new users join use here. Take time and check out the many areas of the forums and post any questions regarding your new Windows Phone!

Flying Kiwi

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome folks and for the tip re checking out mobile price comparison sites - there is a popular one available but it doesn't use my phones barcode scanner (I must manually select product details) and the only app listed on their website is for iPhones :cry:

Is there anything I can do to correct my profile details to mention I have a HTC 7 Pro, rather than an Arrive? My old TyTN II has a separate listing, even though the more popular Tilt was there as well so I can't see why the slightly different US version is the only one listed this time. Any help with this outstanding issue would be appreciated - thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro