Hello :) I'm very new around here...though I've lurked a little bit.

I have some questions...not sure if I should post them here or in the Lumia 620 section but I figured I'd start here with some basic questions at least...

I'm so sick of my iPhone...and WP looks amazing. I love Microsoft (even though they've been a little behind lately) and figured I'd have a look into Windows phones. I'm probably going to get the Lumia 620...though I am considering the HTC 8s. I could probably go a higher end phone if I felt like saving for longer...but I have small hands and big phones do not appeal to me at all. Which should I get? Definitely leaning towards the Lumia but real life reviews might be helpful.

My biggest concern about the change over isn't number of apps (I use a lots but most are pointless anyway) but music. I am constantly listening to music. Always. Is xbox music actually decent? Can I put my iTunes playlists on the phone? Also...where on earth does one buy earphones/headphones that will actually work with WP/nokia? (play, pause, volume, microphone/calls etc.)

That's about it really. The music/headphones thing is probably why I still haven't gone and bought one (even though I've been looking/researching for like a month).

But yeah. WP looks cool :) Any advice/tips/etc that can be given would be very much appreciated!
    04-11-2013 12:26 AM
    Hello :) I'm very new around here...though I've lurked a little bit.

I have some questions...not sure if I should post them here or in the Lumia 620 section but I figured I'd start here with some basic questions at least...

I'm so sick of my iPhone...and WP looks amazing. I love Microsoft (even though they've been a little behind lately) and figured I'd have a look into Windows phones. I'm probably going to get the Lumia 620...though I am considering the HTC 8s. I could probably go a higher end phone if I felt like saving for longer...but I have small hands and big phones do not appeal to me at all. Which should I get? Definitely leaning towards the Lumia but real life reviews might be helpful.

My biggest concern about the change over isn't number of apps (I use a lots but most are pointless anyway) but music. I am constantly listening to music. Always. Is xbox music actually decent? Can I put my iTunes playlists on the phone? Also...where on earth does one buy earphones/headphones that will actually work with WP/nokia? (play, pause, volume, microphone/calls etc.)

That's about it really. The music/headphones thing is probably why I still haven't gone and bought one (even though I've been looking/researching for like a month).

But yeah. WP looks cool :) Any advice/tips/etc that can be given would be very much appreciated!
    Howdy!

I can't tell you much about the 620 or 8s (never seen or used them)

I use Xbox music and it is great for me. $99 a year unlimited streaming or downloading for my Xbox, Zunes, Windows Phone, Windows 8, and Surface. And I do believe your iTunes playlists will transfer (not 100% sure as I have never used it)

Every set of earphones and headphones I've used works with my Windows Phones as far as Play/Pause, Forward Track, Back Track, and Microphone. Volume control has not worked on any of them.

I hope this helps a little!
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 12:35 AM
    Nokia Purity Headphones should be fully compatible with any WP8.
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 12:59 AM
    Nokia Purity Headphones should be fully compatible with any WP8.
    I thought about them...they seem a little over priced. Though I guess I've been using apple earphones for years and they aren't exactly cheap. Are they good?
    04-11-2013 01:03 AM
    As the first reply says, most wired headphones will work, with the exception of the volume control. Even my Apple Headphones work with my Lumia 620 (apart from the volume control).

The Lumia will sync with your iTunes collection - provided the music is DRM-free, so ripped from your original CD or bought from a mp3 store that doesn't use DRM - this includes modern Apple tracks, but they are labelled iTunes+. If you have old tracks bought from Apple before they went DRM-free a few years back, these wont be synced. This only affected about two albums for me so it wasn't the end of the world, but check your music collection!

Syncing with your iTunes library will not be as seamless as it was with your iPhone, by the way. There are times when I have added a new album to iTunes and WP8 Connector has decided to import the entire library again from scratch. It will mostly work, but there will be annoyances along the way. Of course, how annoying they are depends on how often you update your library :)

I'm not sure how playlists work - I can check this tonight (uk time) for you if you like though and run a test.
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 01:46 AM
    I'm not sure how playlists work - I can check this tonight (uk time) for you if you like though and run a test.
    Thanks for all the info! That would be remarkably helpful thank you :)

I have heaps of pairs of apple earphones (everyone in my family is on an iPhone it's kinda crazy) so I'd like to still use those until I can find something that covers all bases. Can you answer phone calls with them?
    04-11-2013 01:49 AM
    Oh, and get the 620, not the 8S. ;)
    04-11-2013 01:50 AM
    I never use my phone to make calls, but I can check that too, no problem :)
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 01:51 AM
    Yes you can answer calls with them (tested on apple earbuds)
    Yes you can sync playlists
    Yes I have made myself late for work ;)
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 02:16 AM
    Hey there! Both the 8s and 620 are fine choices and I don't think you would regret either. The Nokia suite of apps will give you a brilliant experience, especially Nokia music. My experience of nokias support has been better than my experience of htcs in the past but neither are bad.

If you want a recommendation for headphones, go for some Sony MH-1C's. They are fairly cheap at around 12-20 but the sound they produce is incredible. You can use the in-line remote to alter volume, play/pause, answer/end calls. Very comfortable iems, you just have to get used to the cable.

Would love to hear about your experiences once you decide. Hope any of that helps.
    dgr_874 and BasketCase13 like this.
    04-11-2013 02:35 AM
    i'd say go for Lumia 620! i believe, currently, Nokia is the best choice to go with WP8!
    they deliver an amazing pack of apps which improves a lot your WP experience!
    also they have a very efficient customer support!

and 620 has those lovely exchangeable colorful shells (i can't wait to get yellow and magenta >.<)

since you care a lot about music, i think 620 performs rly well! i like the equalization options and the fact you can create custom one...dolby headphones seems to improve a lot the sound experience (specially for movies/youtube) or at least i liked how it improved my music experience!

so yeps, from a happy 620 user i'd say it is an amazing cost-benefice choice!
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 02:57 AM
    If you are on a low/mid-range WP8 try to check also the lumia 720, no LTE though. I am using it right now so I recommend it. Nokia Purity Headseats/Headphones as already mentioned from above posts works(Play/Pause, volume up/down, answer calls and can even launch voice commands while device is locked). Some headsets volume/music controls will only work if your device is active.
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 03:31 AM
    If you are leaning towards the 8S, definitely read the review over at AAWP first! Their L620 review is also worth reading.

Good luck!
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 03:58 AM
    Yes you can answer calls with them (tested on apple earbuds)
    Yes you can sync playlists
    Yes I have made myself late for work ;)
    aww I'm sorry! But thank you very much for your help :D
    04-11-2013 04:09 AM
    Yeah the 620 does seem better than the HTC. Though the HTC is a much better looking device...the lumia is just perfect in every other way XD I just need to bite the bullet and actually go out and buy one!
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-11-2013 04:37 AM
    I never use my phone to make calls, but I can check that too, no problem :)
    Comment of the day!!!! Mail me ur details and i'll send u 10$
    04-11-2013 05:00 AM
    Welcome! I too used an iPhone and converted to WP8 a few months ago (I have the Lumia 810 as I'm on T-Mobile USA). I would absolutely recommend the 620. Nokia rocks!
    BasketCase13 likes this.
    04-11-2013 09:58 PM