Hello, and Help Me Decide :D

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
first of all, hello, my name is Rifqi from Indonesia
i've been lurking around WPCentral without joining, and now i've decided to join the forum :D
i'm new to WPCentral and this is my first thread and post

i need help deciding a windows phone.. and i need help from you guys :]
i'm currently using an Android phone as a temporarily replacement for my 8S after it was shattered and damaged beyond repair
and now i'm ready to buy another WP device...

i kinda like the 8X, love the design, especially the display and screen.. but the phone's lack expandable storage and small numbers of stock apps turns me down
i also liked the 820, the changeable case and expandable storage are great, but there are AMOLED screen burn cases on some of my friend's android devices.. because of it's quite expensive price, i'd like to avoid screen burn cases
some stores dropped the price for Lumia 800 for just around IDR 2.200.000 - 2.500.000 (around 220-250 USD), so AMOLED screen burns doesn't matter here.. but two questions comes up.. does WP 7.8 worth buying today? does it have the same compatibility like Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 PCs?
i'd love to buy the 720, but there's no news about it's release date... starting to get tired on waiting :\
some friend suggested the 620, but the small screen and it's small battery power makes this phone out of my list

RAM and Procie clocks aren't that important because there was not much problem on my 512mb RAM HTC 8S
i'm not planning on using this for games and other apps.. RAM and procies are number 2 priority

so what do you think guys? i'm totally confused... should i wait for 720 to be released in my country, or should i get 800/820/8X?
or maybe there's another suggestions?

if there's a similar thread, it's okay to close this one :D

thanks!

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you can afford the 820 you may as well pull the trigger. If you don't mind waiting, though, the 720 looks fantastic and will save you a lot of money too. Huge battery... But if you can afford the 8x, how much more is the Lumia 920?

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the highest price tag for L920 is somewhere around 650 USD.. the price.. too expensive for me..
i've been thinking about buying 820.. any thoughts on AMOLED screen burns? i've seen too many of my friends got that.. S3, S3Mini, Note, Note 2....... i don't want my phone join the list :straight:

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the 820 and know a couple people who also have it. No screen burns around here. I have only had mine for almost 2 months but I just haven't heard of that specific issue for any Lumia as of yet. The option to take out your battery and change color cases at will along with expandable memory makes the 820 a winner in my book. I had the 8x before this one and even though it's a wonderful phone, the 8x was a little too tall and slippery. I couldn't really get a good grip on the phone like I can the 820. Also I think that the lighter weight of the 8x makes less of a statement in your hand and seems too fragile. That's just my opinion.
the highest price tag for L920 is somewhere around 650 USD.. the price.. too expensive for me..
i've been thinking about buying 820.. any thoughts on AMOLED screen burns? i've seen too many of my friends got that.. S3, S3Mini, Note, Note 2....... i don't want my phone join the list :straight:

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard ⚓ rifqi23cool, great to have you here at WP central's forums, you're find many new friends and a wealth of information available to you! As to the phone of choice I use the 822 same as the 820 and love it. I haven't had any problems with this phone. Good luck.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey rifqi! Great to see you here. You have joined a great community that can help you with your decision. I already learned something new today... Had no idea amoled screen burn existed!

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I'd wait for the 720, it looks like a fantastic package.

Oh, and welcome to WPCentral :smile:

yeah, sometimes patience are paid well.. still thinking on waiting.. but the longer i wait, the sooner i'll leave 720 for another WP devices :winktongue:

Hey rifqi! Great to see you here. You have joined a great community that can help you with your decision. I already learned something new today... Had no idea amoled screen burn existed!
i found it on some phones,, but not yet on WP8 devices (hopefully not).. some said that black color which dominates WP8 interfaces made it resists to screen burn, or slow the process (i'm not sure)..

Welcome aboard ⚓ rifqi23cool, great to have you here at WP central's forums, you're find many new friends and a wealth of information available to you! As to the phone of choice I use the 822 same as the 820 and love it. I haven't had any problems with this phone. Good luck.

822 is one interesting device, too bad it's an exclusive Verizon locked and not for here in Indonesia :straight:
also, T-Mobile's Lumia 810 is one sexy device..... i'd definitely go for 810 if it's available here :D

seeing all the suggestions, i'd decide to wait for 720 until mid May.. if still no announcement regarding release date.... i'm going for 820 :D
thank you very very much for the help! and thank you very much for the warm welcome :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The 720 looks like a perfect smartphone. Love the design and that it has a non-removable back, wireless charging capabilities and a microSD slot all in one! Welcome, too! :smile:

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just get the lumia 820. Nokia supports on Windows Phone is waaaaaay better than htc.

Cheers from indonesia too!
decided to wait for 720, after seeing the phone with my own eyes, that will be the moment for me to decide 820 or 720..
cheers from Indonesia :D

The 720 looks like a perfect smartphone. Love the design and that it has a non-removable back, wireless charging capabilities and a microSD slot all in one! Welcome, too! :smile:
go for 820 if u cant wait for 720
yeah, i'd decided to wait for it :smile:
thankyou!

You could try the Nokia Lumia 620. It is meant as a budget phone.
i saw the phone first hand.. borrowed my friend's for half a day..
the battery capacity is too small... 1300mAh just not enough for me (caused by networks in some suburban areas in Jakarta, Indonesia are not stable, forcing it to search network harder, switching bands and draining batteries)
not fan of a small screen either.... 4' is a minimum :winktongue:
but i like the removable covers and their designs (other than screen size and screen materials).. it is meant to be a budget phones, for youths..

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is a great phone if you are looking for "future proof" phone.
512 MB RAM is somehow insufficient for heavy games and some apps. The 720 has 512 MB RAM while the 820 has 1 GB RAM. Not to mention you do also get 4G bands on 820 and not on the 720.

Anyway, have you tried XL Axiata? It's the fastest I have ever used. Hope this helps.

And of course welcome! Greetings from Indonesia (Batam to be exact)! :D

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad you chose Nokia, as htc is ok to me (personal opinion) but love the maps and navigation and other Nokia stuff and you will not get that on htc. I love my 920 but I bought it on contract for $50 on amazon. :smile:

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is a great phone if you are looking for "future proof" phone.
512 MB RAM is somehow insufficient for heavy games and some apps. The 720 has 512 MB RAM while the 820 has 1 GB RAM. Not to mention you do also get 4G bands on 820 and not on the 720.

Anyway, have you tried XL Axiata? It's the fastest I have ever used. Hope this helps.

And of course welcome! Greetings from Indonesia (Batam to be exact)! :D

i'm still concerned and worried about AMOLED burns... i'm planning on using this phone for quite a long time (2-3 years).. that's the reason i consider an 8X on my first post.. but 8x just kicked out of the list due to Nokia's better service on WP Devices..
tried XL Axiata on my tablet few months back, not that impressive in my area.. i'm staying on Telkomsel :p
btw, out of the topic, do cellphones in Batam that cheap like everybody says? my relatives are planning to go there, if it's that cheap, i might grab an 820 there

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
i'm still concerned and worried about AMOLED burns... i'm planning on using this phone for quite a long time (2-3 years).. that's the reason i consider an 8X on my first post.. but 8x just kicked out of the list due to Nokia's better service on WP Devices..
tried XL Axiata on my tablet few months back, not that impressive in my area.. i'm staying on Telkomsel :p
btw, out of the topic, do cellphones in Batam that cheap like everybody says? my relatives are planning to go there, if it's that cheap, i might grab an 820 there

No, I don't get such 'screen burns'.
Well, indeed, that if you use phone with AMOLED display for a long time, it starts getting hot. And just that.

But it won't be an issue to me and it will starts heating after an hour (Or so) with a heavy 3D games (Asphalt 7 on me). And hey either am I! I also use the 820 for two years! It seems future proof to me with its 4G bands and wireless charging. Not to mention that it's easy to take off the battery if it begin to show its age. (Unlike HTC 8X which you need to go to a HTC service and wait for few days, only for a new battery)
I love Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive. It helps me get out from some strange places in Singapore (Months ago). And yes, Nokia has much better support. As an example, the Nokia N8 is almost three years old and it still receives some updates from Nokia.

XL seems improving on me. Paying Rp100.000,- (US$10) for 3.6 GB a month means you can get extremely fast connection here. (With little errors and at least, it's the fastest in Indonesia). Telkomsel is probably the most expensive I have ever used, which is why I switched to XL. :)

Yes, it's cheaper here as people in Batam prefer Blackberries, iPhones and Samsungs. Sony Xperia V in instance have reduced its price from US$650 to US$470 for only a month!! And my Lumia 820 cost from US$500 to US$410 in just few months. Btw, try to go to Malaysia. I heard that it's even cheaper on Kuala Lumpur or Johor.

I hope this may helps you! :D

7amatto

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The 820 is faster and i personally prefer the AMOLED screens(deeper blacks and more saturated colors) and the back cover which is removable and the expandable storage....just perfect (only the battery which will get you easily through the day with average usage is its weak point)
So if ur looking for fast, go with the 820 but if u want battery, go for the 720 but a little bit slower (no lags and the experience is buttery smooth but maybe a little more time to resume apps...)
Hope this will help

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 8X and I seriously don't miss any of Nokia Apps.. Yeah they are cool and make you stand out (maybe) but Cinemagraphs is the same thing as Blink, Nokia maps are already on all WP.
It's your choice.
Between 820/720 I would go for 720 (looks like a 8X <3)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99