Bye iPhone... And hello Nokia!

iVoll

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

Normally I don't do these introduction threads, but I'm really glad I bought the L920 and joined the "wp-community". And I never thought I would do that. Why not?

Well first of all my name is Jonas, a 25 years old webmaster at the biggest newspaper in Belgium. And I've been a big fan of iPhone for many many many years. Anyway I got bored to death of the iOS and when I saw what Apple did with the iPhone 5 (or didn't) I was really disappointed. It felt like I got f*cked in the ***... DRY! But don't get me wrong, in my opinion iPhones are very good phones. Fast, easy to use, a lot of apps, etc... Never had any problems at all in all those years. I also remember having a lot of discussions with people who hate iPhone just because of the $$$ and the hype, bad arguments imo. I didn't care about the fact that almost everybody in my environment had the same phone as I did. But now I do care about the fact that I have a better phone! Hah! :winktongue:

When I saw the first pictures and reviews of the L920 I wanted to have that phone or at least give it a try. I waited a long time before I actually bought one (few days ago). One of the main reasons for the long wait was the size of the phone. I have small hands, so I always loved having smaller phones and I never liked the look of big phones either. That was not the case for the L920, one the most beautiful hardware designs I've seen. And damn it feel good in my hand, yes it is BIG and HEAVY but it only took me a few hours to get used to it. I think I'll never go back to a smaller one, but never say never of course.

The first days with my L920 were good. I like the layout of Windows 8, tiles, the lock screen, the way you can tweak your home screen etc... It's all damn fast and easy to use. Syncing with my email accounts (personal and work) were too easy. I think Nokia has a new fan and I hope I'll stay one for a long time.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me be the first one to welcome you aboard. :)

First off... Iphone is not a bad phone, and Ios is not a bad operating system... Apple has kind of lost it's steam on the inventions the past 2-3 years and the competition has caught up with the fluidity and stability (Heck, even Android is almost fluid these days)... So I doubt anyone will make fun of you for being an Iphone-fan. :)

Second off... The Lumia 920 is a truely great phone even though it's big and heavy. Nokia know how to build a phone that fits nicely into peoples hands. It's curved just the right amount to feel great in the palm and the natural curvature of most peoples fingers... I have no idea why the early reviews were so quick to point out the size/weight of it and since I bought it, I've got no clue at all what they were complaining about. It just feels so natural to hold. I haven't liked the Iphone since the 3GS since they've always used sharp and hard angles.

I hope you can gain a few followers in your office. WP deserves a bigger usage-share than it currently has. :)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yup welcome n glad u made tha switch;) smart move coz Nokia are on a roll with this OS, I just wish Microsoft would snap out of it n roll with tha times! Hopefully ur co-workers will get jealous n move over too;)

rifqi23cool

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
welcome, i am also new here in WPCentral.. this forum got lots of great people with information on WP8 Devices
did you also get the wireless charging plate? i'd like to hear something about it from a new Lumia user :smile:

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I had an iPhone 4s before as well although I can't say I was one of those hard core iPhone fans. Far from it. I just like technology of all sorts. Like you though, I expected Apple to do more. They're supposed to "wow" us and they have pretty much been resting on their laurels the last couple of years. Enter Windows Phone 8 with its fresh new look and live tiles. I love the OS. It's smooth and responsive. It's also every bit as easy to learn as iPhone. I also love the look and feel of it. The weight took a few moments of adjustment but now, it's perfectly suitable. I prefer my phone with a little meat on its bones. :smile: The only thing this phone needs are improvements to the apps which I fully expect to happen over time. You just can't jump into a new OS and not be prepared to deal with some of that. I am totally happy with the Lumia 920 and can't wait to see what improvements come out and also what its successor might look like.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey iVoll great to see you here at WPCentral and really happy to hear you're happy with your new Lumia 920! I'm curious how your colleagues react to it when they see your (vibrant?) phone around the iPhone office... are they interested in how it works or ignore it or what happens? Maybe you can become the pioneer for Windows Phone in the office.

See you around the forums, I hope!

iVoll

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the cool response guys.

And yeah people here are interested for sure, but most of the reactions are: "Wow, so big. You can kill a fly with it" or "Nice, you bought a tablet!". Anyway, when I've let them play with it they all agree that it's super fast and smooth.

welcome, i am also new here in WPCentral.. this forum got lots of great people with information on WP8 Devices
did you also get the wireless charging plate? i'd like to hear something about it from a new Lumia user :smile:

I will buy the plate in the near future yes, but I need a car holder first.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome, Jonas! Nokia is a spectacular brand! Is this your very first one? I also switched from an iPhone to Nokia, however, before the iPhone, all I ever had were Nokia phones. So glad they're behind WP because it's a great platform. Enjoy your Lumia 920! :smile:

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the cool response guys.

And yeah people here are interested for sure, but most of the reactions are: "Wow, so big. You can kill a fly with it" or "Nice, you bought a tablet!". Anyway, when I've let them play with it they all agree that it's super fast and smooth.

I will buy the plate in the near future yes, but I need a car holder first.

I really don't get why some people think this phone is so big. It isn't even close to some of the "big boys" out there. I suppose it looks like Gulliver next to that PUNY iPhone 4/4s but when I think of something big, I think Galaxy S3 or even the Note II. Now THAT'S big. Truth be told, this Lumia 920 isn't even as big as I would prefer. Much easier to see and get real work done with a larger screen. If all you do is listen to music and takes pictures, then might I suggest a phone the size of a deck of cards? ;-)

Hans820

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome!

New WP8 user here as well.

Some reviews describe the 920 as being 'chubby'. Well 'voluptuous' is the correct word, I say :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention