android user

Vernon khuzwayo

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm an android user.I love android.however I have become tired of the lag in the ui ...and other issues.I have decided to try windows phone.I am worried though.I have invested a lot of money in the android system.high end games and apps.I know that windows phone is young.will I get the same quality of games like FIFA ,dungeon hunter etc? And if I buy the lumia920/928 will that future proof me for windows phone 8.1 to 9? Or since my contract is up this coming December I should just wait for the leaked 950 instead? Some advice from old windows phone users would be welcomed. And why should I switch other than the obvious speedy user interface which seems lag less(have never actually owned and heavy used the is.does it over time with heavy use lag.I'm a heavy user?) I've read that there are issues with battery life and internet browsing...overall why is windows phone superior to android.

Thanks in advance

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm an android user.I love android.however I have become tired of the lag in the ui ...and other issues.I have decided to try windows phone.I am worried though.I have invested a lot of money in the android system.high end games and apps.I know that windows phone is young.will I get the same quality of games like FIFA ,dungeon hunter etc? And if I buy the lumia920/928 will that future proof me for windows phone 8.1 to 9? Or since my contract is up this coming December I should just wait for the leaked 950 instead? Some advice from old windows phone users would be welcomed. And why should I switch other than the obvious speedy user interface which seems lag less(have never actually owned and heavy used the is.does it over time with heavy use lag.I'm a heavy user?) I've read that there are issues with battery life and internet browsing...overall why is windows phone superior to android.

Thanks in advance

I almost laughed at the bold part as I was in the same boat.
I am not sure who told you about the battery issues, I use a Lumia 720, and charge it once every 2 days with moderate usage, 3G on all the time :). With android I couldn't last half a day with that usage.

Doesn't matter if you are a heavy or a super heavy user with windows, you won't ever lag. If you do lag it will be a nasty app that needs a fix.

I cannot comment on gaming as I don't game on my phone but you could look at youtube on game reviews?

P.S. - The 920 is a phone with a poor battery installed :( + heavyweight champion, no doubt it has amazing hardware. 820 has a poor battery as well. I find the 720 is the best bang for the buck!

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
:(
this is the list of warning when you switch from Android
-this is a very limit OS mean no File manager(sad) no root, no hack, no modification
-Gaming in WP is a big lack, both of the game you mention are not available
-no third party browser, their are a few in the store but it just a wrap up, it is the same Internet Explorer engine. but it is a good browser, however not every body love IE
-More bugs need to be fixed

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^Hmm,
If one is looking for hacks/roots/cfw's WP is in no way recommended as it'll end up as a disappointment.

But hey, would you
-Hack your phone, install a bunch of apps that intrude your privacy and end up lagging after a few weeks
OR
-Stick with the stock OS, install optimized apps and enjoy a lag free experience even after years of use?

A personal call here ;)

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance

With games, iOS and Android def. have a lot more choice. That said, there are plenty of games on WP, though they may not be the exact ones you are looking for. I personally don't use my 920 to play games a lot just for the fact that I prefer to used my 3ds, psp, etc. if I want on the go gaming.

As far as being future proof, I would assume that the 920 would get updated to WP9 (though that is sometime away). WP7 to WP8 was crazy because of things like a kernal change. i don't see anything that major happening again anytime soon. I'm guessing that you got worried about this based on the stories were done when Microsoft said how long they will continue to support each version of WP. Key point here is that they didn't say you wouldn't be able to upgrade the OS.

I personally wouldn't wait if you are looking to switch right now. I bought the 920 on day 1 and it feels just as buttery smooth as back then (late Oct., early Nov.?). Lag doesn't show it's ugly head like it does on other platforms.

The biggest thing I tell people about the OS is this - I find the OS to be the most refreshing, fun to use and easy to use out of the major 3 (I have never used Blackberry so I won't include them). It really provides a more connected feeling. To me, the whole experience feels more polished. The only negative would be the lack of some apps depending on your needs.

With battery and browsing, I have yet to find a phone that could go all day with me no matter what the OS. In general terms, I don't think WP is any worse on the battery than other OSes. IE works just fine for me when on the internet. I don't find it any less capable than the stock browser of other OSes. There aren't entirely new browsers like in Android, but there are some based on IE that have other options.

Final point would be this: If you want a phone that simply works and allows you to get stuff done, go with WP. Android has a lot of options (as I'm sure you already know), but those options come at a cost of all sorts of issues rather they be security, lag, etc.

EDIT: BTW If you do get a WP, try to jump all in when it comes to Microsoft services (Skydrive, Outlook, etc.). I find these service to be easier to use and cleaner than their Google counterparts. If you use Google Voice at all though, there really isn't a replacement anywhere for that service.

phing77

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
^Hmm,
If one is looking for hacks/roots/cfw's WP is in no way recommended as it'll end up as a disappointment.

But hey, would you
-Hack your phone, install a bunch of apps that intrude your privacy and end up lagging after a few weeks
OR
-Stick with the stock OS, install optimized apps and enjoy a lag free experience even after years of use?

A personal call here ;)

but it's worth telling an Android user here i'm a former Android user myself i know why :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In case of apps and games support you should try this one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.switchtowp8
Never used it nor have any helpful info, but it was made especially for switching from Droid to WP.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Ha ha you should see this app. I installed and ran it for !@#$% and giggles, and the app itself is reason enough to make someone decide that maybe WP isn't the way to go :eek:rly:

and Also Android battery life half than Window Battery life

That's kinda like saying Dodge gets half the gas mileage of Ford.

djodilumia

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I say wait go for now. My Lumia 920 will be used for another 3 years at least. It's the best phone I ever bought. The only thing that will make me switch is if the next Lumia comes with preview, WP9, and better battery life.
Of course Android and iOS are equipped with more apps and games, but they are 2 years older than my WP Lumia. Imagine what is the number in the next 2 or 3 years.
If you want to play games, I suggest,you not to,use any phone. You should go with a tablet or a dedicated gaming PC.,Smartphones are too small for your eyes to catch the action. Thus forcing your eyes to work,harder. My daughter already use glasses in her 11 because she uses her phone a lot for,gaming.

Vernon khuzwayo

May 1, 2013
Visit site
THank you everyone..I think I have decided.I will be getting a windows phone.the lag in android is making me sick.when u want it the most it let's u down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs