Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for some guidance, I've been a long time viewer of this site and now that my upgrade is imminent thought to sign up and post.

Basically I've currently got an android phone but have generally grown tired of android and its lagginess, and although the HTC One very nearly swayed me I've decided to switch to WP.

As said I've viewed this site for a long time so have a fairly good idea of what I'm getting into what I'm really after is some advice from people who have moved from android to WP, what to expect, what's missing etc. Just general feedback really.

Also some advice on the device to get, I absolutely love the Nokia Lumia range and its a big reason for me making the switch, also currently my carrier (Vodafone UK) has some good deals on the 920 it at the moment.

But I'm also aware of the Nokia press event next week where more than likely the 925 will be unveiled and if Nokia pull their fingers out with releasing it I might be able to get it, if the rumoured specs are to be believed then a thin aluminium Nokia with a camera on par with the 920 is a no brainer for me!
    05-09-2013 03:02 PM
    Welcome and glad you signed up! Honestly, if you are a WP owner, this site is invaluable!

If you have the option of the 920 or the 925, I would go with whatever your preference is (since it isn't a spec upgrade really). Just check them both out in stores when the 925 is released.

I switched for an Android phone to WP back in March of last year. Like you, I was sick of lag issues. Often people we tell me, "Just put a better ROM or Kernel on it" or "Use a different launcher" etc. etc. etc. What you will learn very quickly is that things just work, and quickly! One of the things I want from my phone is to be able to do all the basics quick and easy: def. check mark for WP! As you probably already know also, the biggest difference is the lack of customizations. I had all sorts of live wallpapers, icon packs, launchers, etc. or my Android devices. What I noticed though that I keep spending my time changing my phone looked like instead of actually using it for what it was for! Tinkering is fun but it almost seems like that is the biggest draw, which isn't right in my book.

One BIG suggestion: If you can, switch your online services to Microsoft. Like Android goes with Google services, WP takes advantage of being in the Microsoft ecosystem.
    markfive and stalley86 like this.
    05-09-2013 03:14 PM
    Good advice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And welcome to WPCentral

Personally I'd sit and wait for a release date on the new Lumia. But that's just me
    05-09-2013 04:07 PM
    Welcome to WPCentral! I'm glad you've made the move to step out from the shadows of lurker central!

I came to WP from Android myself. I had a HTC Hero (from the dawning of Android) for 4 years and while that might not be the most relevant example in terms of performance I'm very familiar with everything Android. I used to spend countless hours modding my ROM's, tinkering with new launchers and so on just like mase but after coming from a phone where if I wanted to do anything the responsibility was for me to do it (sounds weird but bear with me) it was a breath of fresh air to come to a platform where the phone presents your messages, updates, news etc through live tiles straight on the screen... its like the phone WANTS me to be productive.

In order to answer some of your questions I'd like a touch more info first. You're obviously on Vodafone in the UK but what phone do you currently have? What requirements do you have from a new phone? You're obviously considering the 920/5 or the HTC One so those are high end phones. What's your need for storage? Camera? How do you use your phone day-to-day?

If you're anything like me you want a phone that does exactly what it says on the tin. If you want a sturdy phone that's snappy, will be for it's lifetime and also want the security of knowing if anything goes wrong there's a good warranty behind it you probably want to keep looking into Nokia. In my experience while HTC make good hardware they tend to quickly forget about the phones they just made - they never did upgrade the HTC Desire to ICS officially (if you remember a couple of years ago the Desire was their flagship) which kind of illustrates the point. I went for a 920 and I've never once looked back.
    stmav likes this.
    05-09-2013 04:09 PM
    Welcome aboard ⚓ to the land of WP central
    05-09-2013 06:40 PM