Interested in Windows Phone/Windows 8 not sure where to start.

romeytang

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, hope this is the right forum for this, I've been a long time gadget freak and have tried most of the OSs out there except for Windows Phone. Recently for some reason I've been intrigued to try it out. Had some questions and I can't think of a better place than this to ask them.

Brief note, I've been rather bearish on Microsoft over the past few years (some would even say "hater") but some of their recent moves leaves me intrigued.
-I've been using computers with a fruit on the back exclusively for the last few years (to each his own right?) so haven't had much time with Windows 8 or Windows Phone. After seeing my brother's surface though I'll say it has piqued my interest.

I am wondering what some people here think would be a solid Windows phone that isn't too expensive. I am on Sprint in the US so I really don't have any options from them so I'll probably just purchase something unlocked to play around with. Is that a dumb idea? I know that Nokia is really pushing WP hard and I always loved their design and quality of build, are there even any other devices worth considering?

Also in the market to replace my tablet and I almost think that might be a better way to explore the Windows 8 ecosystem than an unlocked/data only phone, thoughts? I really would want to use my tablet for consumption and light typing/writing at meetings and classes, nothing too heavy really. I've heard different thoughts on the tablet side, some say the Widows RT is a pile of garbage and others think it has it's place. Are the RT tablets even worth it or is it better to go with the full Windows 8? I would think the RT tablets could do all the same functions of my iPad and probably better than any Android tablet. I was slightly intrigued by the Samsung tablet with the S-pen (can't remember the name but Dan talked about it on the last podcast).

Are there any good rumors about a smaller tablet in the 7" or 8" size? I am starting to believe after having the iPad 2 that a smaller tablet might be the best size for my usage.

I apologize for the block of text my thanks in advance for the advice.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would go buy a Lumia 521 from Walmart for $130. It runs buttery smooth and you can get a feel for the OS.

Smaller tablets should be coming out later this year. I don't know about any specific dates.

RT does have it's place but I would recommend a full Windows 8 tablet. having everything you could need is very handy!

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You can also snag other devices for $200 through the normal channels but go 520. May not play the graphic intensive games but still a good phone for the price. A RT device at 7-8 inches would be great! I would not want to run win8 pro on such a small screen, it would be impossible to use desktop mode.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this. A good way to get your foot in the door at an inexpensive price and have a full windows phone experience in a small package.
I would go buy a Lumia 521 from Walmart for $130. It runs buttery smooth and you can get a feel for the OS.

Smaller tablets should be coming out later this year. I don't know about any specific dates.

RT does have it's place but I would recommend a full Windows 8 tablet. having everything you could need is very handy!

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Yup the price of the 521/520 is great for an entry level smartphone. As for a tablet I would recommend a Windows 8 tablet with an Intel Atom. They are snappy quick and should handle everything you mentioned. Not only that, it will run apps from the app store and regular desktop/x86 programs (full office, iTunes, etc).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99