Hey all, a quick intro I've been a long time user of android (Nexus One to Nexus S to Galaxy Nexus -- <3 the nexus line) and am starting to reach that stage where I'm willing to try something new. I recently visited the brand new Microsoft Store that opened up at the Yorkdale shopping center in Toronto, and tested the Lumia 920s there. I'd done some research beforehand and was aware that the specifications on the handset were very similar to what I ran on my current Galaxy Nexus (especially since I'd overclocked my dual core to 1.5, same as the Lumia). What shocked me was how fluid the experience was on the Lumia. Even with the butter update, transitions still could have the odd stutter here and there, especially when in the app drawer sidescrolling. I actually work for one of the Big 3 telecoms here in Canada, and when I told my co-workers I was seriously considering a WP8 device, most either were too shocked to say anything, or just laughed outright. I've played with the GS4. Great phone, nothing new from Android though. My whole family uses iOS, so I'm familiar there as well. WP8, it's like jumping into open water in an undiscovered part of the world; What lies beneath? NO idea. I don't think enough people have given it a fair enough try before judging the windows OS.

I'd like to consider myself somewhat tech savvy, especially computer wise (on tech blogs daily, always build my own rigs, staying up to date on events like WWDC, Google I/O, etc) and it's kind of embarrassing to admit I have literally no experience with WP8. I've read review site after review site as well as watched several vids on youtube for unbox and reviews. I know this being a WP8 site, the criticism may not be as harsh, but still, I'm more than willing to hear people's opinions on the device; be it pro or con.

My main reason for swapping? A good camera is one of my most important features, and the Lumia 920s just seems outstanding; especially when compared to the lackluster camera on my Nexus.

Any and all posts are welcome, just another user curious about the WP8 experience :)

Brent
    06-05-2013 08:03 PM
    In a nutshell

What you should expect from the Lumia Lineup on wp8 platform after switching from android
    -Stability, no crashes
    -Amazing battery life (depends on device to device) 620's battery is shatty tbh
    -Good camera hardware
    -Rock solid apps that do what they should
    -Lag free environment

What you shouldn't expect
    -Tons and tons of useless games/apps
    -Open source OS (You can root your android device and do a CFW, here you cant)
    -Being in Canada, you MAY face warranty issues

I've used multiple android devices and have been on a 720 since 20th April without any regrets. Battery life is ROCK Solid!
    06-06-2013 12:48 AM
    Hey all, a quick intro I've been a long time user of android (Nexus One to Nexus S to Galaxy Nexus -- <3 the nexus line) and am starting to reach that stage where I'm willing to try something new. I recently visited the brand new Microsoft Store that opened up at the Yorkdale shopping center in Toronto, and tested the Lumia 920s there. I'd done some research beforehand and was aware that the specifications on the handset were very similar to what I ran on my current Galaxy Nexus (especially since I'd overclocked my dual core to 1.5, same as the Lumia). What shocked me was how fluid the experience was on the Lumia. Even with the butter update, transitions still could have the odd stutter here and there, especially when in the app drawer sidescrolling. I actually work for one of the Big 3 telecoms here in Canada, and when I told my co-workers I was seriously considering a WP8 device, most either were too shocked to say anything, or just laughed outright. I've played with the GS4. Great phone, nothing new from Android though. My whole family uses iOS, so I'm familiar there as well. WP8, it's like jumping into open water in an undiscovered part of the world; What lies beneath? NO idea. I don't think enough people have given it a fair enough try before judging the windows OS.

I'd like to consider myself somewhat tech savvy, especially computer wise (on tech blogs daily, always build my own rigs, staying up to date on events like WWDC, Google I/O, etc) and it's kind of embarrassing to admit I have literally no experience with WP8. I've read review site after review site as well as watched several vids on youtube for unbox and reviews. I know this being a WP8 site, the criticism may not be as harsh, but still, I'm more than willing to hear people's opinions on the device; be it pro or con.

My main reason for swapping? A good camera is one of my most important features, and the Lumia 920s just seems outstanding; especially when compared to the lackluster camera on my Nexus.

Any and all posts are welcome, just another user curious about the WP8 experience :)

Brent
    You're looking for a fresh breath of air? You're rooting for the underdog this time? You're looking at the right OS. (This, and BB10)

Windows Phone 8 is a stable and fluid OS. You'd be surprised if this was technically a 1.0 version, but it is. The NT kernel is brand new on phones.
    Windows Phone can only get better at this point, so I recommend that you jump in. (Especially with the 920 having a great camera)

Also, WP isn't rooted in customization, so if you're loving this aspect of Android, keep your Nexus phones.
    06-06-2013 02:04 AM
    I'm happy with my 920 and agree with most of the stuff said above, but another thing an Android user might want to know that there really is no file management within the phone (except like delete/share etc), so stuff like moving pictures or music from one folder to another, no can do. You have to do that on a PC. Hopefully one day, but that's how it is for now.

A big plus that hasn't been mentioned so far: Office + cloud. I believe Google has pretty robust cloud too for Android devices, but it sure doesnt have a robust Office to go with it. I don't know if you have much use for Office, but as a primarily university student, this is a feature I appreciate.
    06-06-2013 02:08 AM
    Fair enough... The question lies now, do I get a 920 free on contract, or do I wait for the Lumia EOS heh
    06-06-2013 06:54 PM