Hey Guys,

Just joined the Windows Phone world after using every iPhone available here in Australia from 3G to 5. I just couldn't put up with the poor battery life on the iPhone 5 anymore, I'd be lucky to get 3-4 hours out of it. Saw the Lumia 920 outright for $488 AUD with a free wireless charging pad, it was cheap and I've wanted to give WinPhone a whirl for a whirl so I pulled the trigger on a yellow one. First one I picked up was faulty (not the greatest start) and failed to recognise any SIM card. it would just display an invalid or missing SIM error. The screen also had a fairly hectic flicker when brightness was high, probably a dodgy backlight. The store was really helpful and organised to have more stock shipped in from another store (they were out of yellows) to replace mine. So a few days later I'm back on deck and my new 920 isn't displaying any of the issues of the previous one.

I haven't really noticed an "appgap" issue as all I used on my iPhone was Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. These have been replaced quite well with Facebook Beta, Rowi and Instance. The one thing I'm missing though is iMessage, I liked having the same conversation across all my devices as most of my friends use iPhones. I usually have my iPad on me anyway so I'll probably use that as a messaging device for the time being.

I have noticed that the radios seem to be somewhat slower on the Lumia 920 than my iPhone 5 or iPad. Speedtest.net results over cellular are down to about 10Mbps on the Lumia as opposed to 20Mbps on the iPhone and iPad (same carrier, tested in same location, 4G enabled on all) and WiFi results are down to about 13Mbps on the Lumia as opposed to 21Mbps on the iPhone and iPad. Anyone else seen similar things? It could just be that the speedtest.net app for WinPhone is poorly written.

Anyways after that long winded introduction, I'd just like to say hey and I look forward to being part of the community.
    hombreee likes this.
    06-08-2013 03:55 AM
    Welcome to Windows Phone.

I haven't got 4G on my 920 so I can't comment on its performance. However, its 3G (actually H+) performance is top notch and regularly beats my SGS 3 in speed tests. WiFi speeds are also excellent and I can regularly connect at 60 Mbits/s which is my maximum broadband speed at home. Mind you, that's with a new dual band router using the 5 GHz channel. My old router would struggle to give my 920 a 30 Mbits/s connection so it could be your router that is partly to blame for the low WiFi speeds you are seeing.
    06-08-2013 04:28 AM
    About the battery issues. Make sure you go to Settings > Applications > Background Tasks and block those that you don't need. Nokia Drive is a known battery hog. Other apps run in the background as well so make sure you block them if you don't need them.

There may be some annoyances with WP8 OS but I'm hoping Microsoft will address them in future updates.

That being said, welcome to WP8 community!
    06-08-2013 04:38 AM
    Welcome aboard ⚓ here at WP central
    06-08-2013 04:52 AM
    @WorzelGummage - Yeah it's the H+ performance I'm comparing as my house is not in a 4G coverage zone, and the iPad and iPhone are consistently beating it by a wide margin on the same network. It's almost as if the Lumia isn't utilizing DC-HSDPA which it should. When I disable LTE on the iDevices which also disables DC-HSDPA they get similar speeds to the Lumia, this is what has lead me to believe it isn't doing DC-HSDPA properly. It's not a deal breaker, just something odd I've noticed. I was only testing WiFi using the router on my time capsule as it is the only router with a simple key and I was just doing a quick setup. It could just be the Apple hardware talking better among itself which wouldn't surprise me. I'll try with one of my other routers and post results.

@windev - thanks for the advice I have read about Nokia drive and it's tendency to be a battery hog and have made sure it isn't running in the background. In my limited time with it the Lumia's battery has already shown itself to be superior to that of my iPhone which was a relief as it was the driving force behind the decision to buy.
    06-08-2013 06:19 AM
    Welcome aboard! I'll be getting my entry-level Nokia 521 in a few days and I'm looking forward to trying out the Windows Phone experience for the first time. Thanks for sharing your observations about your 920.
    06-08-2013 10:14 AM
    I work in Telco and I had a customer come in with a 520 they had bought outright. Really nice feeling little phone. I've gotta give it to Nokia, I love my 920 but it's the entry to mid level that they really are shining. The 520,620 and 720 are all really good quality budget handsets. I've spent a bit of time with our store demo 720 handset and it really is amazing what Nokia is doing at those lower price points.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-09-2013 12:52 AM
    Welcome aboard!

I compared a HTC 8x and a Lumia 920 at my local electronics store, i easily prefer the L920 over the 8x.
    06-09-2013 04:51 AM