Hey guys (and gals),

I've been with the Mobile Nations team for about a month now and realized that I have yet to step into the forums and say hello.
    My name is Michael Archambault and I've been a tech geek since I was about three years old. I went through a ton of geek community phases; I was a Linux guy for a while, I had multiple MacBook Pros in the past, and I owned a handful of Windows gaming rigs. After using a few Linux distros, OS X, and Windows 7 I decided the Microsoft ecosystem was the place for me.

Originally I loved Windows ability to play a never ending list of videogames and the ability to create a custom built gaming rig, but then I moved to a console (Xbox 360) and picked up an Ultrabook for long battery life. Im still a Windows guy to this day though; I love the beautiful and creative machines being released by various OEMs. Between you, me, and everyone else here I find grey Macbooks with OS X extremely boring (give me an awesomely red colored touch-screen Ultrabook hybrid that flips and twirls, with a colorful interface thrown on top).

Ill be outright and say that my favorite OEM is Lenovo (at the moment); Im a huge ThinkPad fan and as a journalist, the keyboard is perfect for me. I always keep my eye on other OEMS though; too much coolness happening to miss out on anything.

My gadget arsenal right now is a red Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon running Windows 8 Pro (non-touch sadly), and a Microsoft Surface RT 64 GB. I also have an Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect and a Wii U.

Anyway, I don't know much else to say, so now its your turn - say hello, connect with me on twitter, and ask questions. Fire away!
    I can't wait to get to know every single one of you and if you ever need to reach out to me, you can do so via email, michael@wpcentral.com, or Twitter, @marcham93.

P.S.- I know the internet loves pictures of cats, but unfortunately I don't have one. Instead here is a picture of my Chinchilla, Gizmo.

06-13-2013 07:10 PM
    Hey, welcome to WPCentral! :)
    06-13-2013 07:30 PM
    Well hello there! Nice to meet you.
    06-13-2013 08:13 PM
    Hey! welcome to mobile Nations!
    06-13-2013 08:26 PM
    Hi Michael and welcome to the forums.

It's funny you should mention Linux. I do still run Linux frequently and like it. My favourite distro currently in Mint. I'm also a member of two local Linux User Groups (Cleveland and Akron).

I also am eying Lenovo for my next PC. I want the Yoga 13, so I'll have a touchscreen tablet convertible running Win8. Right now I'm just waiting for a price drop from either the back-to-school sales or for the Ivy Bridge PCs to drop in price once Haswell PCs are out.

Gizmo is cute!
    06-13-2013 08:45 PM
    Welcome, Michael! Happy to see you here
    06-13-2013 08:54 PM
    Hey Mike! Great to have you around. How are you settling into the role after a month? Hope you enjoy it here on the forums as much as on the front page ;-).
    06-13-2013 09:31 PM
    Welcome aboard Michael. I've been enjoying your articles so far. Keep up the good work and make yourself at home here in the forums.
    06-14-2013 10:29 AM
    Thanks everyone, it has been a blast to be here!

Honestly, the entire Mobile Nations team is awesome to work with - I'm sure the forum people are just as awesome! :D

Hi Michael and welcome to the forums.

It's funny you should mention Linux. I do still run Linux frequently and like it. My favourite distro currently in Mint. I'm also a member of two local Linux User Groups (Cleveland and Akron).

I also am eying Lenovo for my next PC. I want the Yoga 13, so I'll have a touchscreen tablet convertible running Win8. Right now I'm just waiting for a price drop from either the back-to-school sales or for the Ivy Bridge PCs to drop in price once Haswell PCs are out.

Gizmo is cute!
    When I knew nothing about Linux I grabbed the Ark Linux distro (now discontinued). I moved onto being a heavy Fedora and Ubuntu user for a bit before switching to Windows 7 full time (and now Windows 8).

The YOGA 13 is an awesome machine, but it's not there for me yet - it needs a backlit keyboard IMO. I like the hybrid machines, but most of the "twist and flip" units have the battery life of a PC; I want a good 10 solid hours on an Ultrabook hybrid. For now, my Surface and ThinkPad are best friends.

And thanks, I love Gizmo also.

Hey Mike! Great to have you around. How are you settling into the role after a month? Hope you enjoy it here on the forums as much as on the front page ;-).
    Settling in well - it is a blast to finally have a role where I can focus solely on Microsoft content!
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-14-2013 11:58 AM
    it needs a backlit keyboard IMO.
    On that note, I cannot live without a backlit keyboard ever again. I have a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and each key is individually lit... it's incredible. I now find it a hassle to try and type on a "regular" keyboard under insufficient lighting conditions.

What kind of games do you play on your 360 and with your Kinect? Will you be purchasing an Xbox One, or staying away?
    06-14-2013 12:36 PM
    On that note, I cannot live without a backlit keyboard ever again. I have a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and each key is individually lit... it's incredible. I now find it a hassle to try and type on a "regular" keyboard under insufficient lighting conditions.

What kind of games do you play on your 360 and with your Kinect? Will you be purchasing an Xbox One, or staying away?
    I completely agree. Even though I am a touch typist, I feel a desire to look down and be able to see my keyboard keys at all times. My ThinkPad X1 Carbon has a backlit keyboard, but when I pick up my Surface I do wish the Touch Cover had embedded LEDs.

I play a lot of single player adventure games: Assassin's Creed, BioShock, Hitman, Tomb Raider, etc. I use my Kinect to workout and play Dance Central or Kinect Sports. To be honest though, my Kinect is mostly used for voice control when watching Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, or Hulu.

I will be picking up an Xbox One; I prefer its heavy Windows integration, multitasking (It's not just a game console anymore), and Kinect features. I'll be writing an editorial piece about Xbox DRM that should be out today. :)
    Mystictrust likes this.
    06-14-2013 01:03 PM
    Thanks everyone, it has been a blast to be here!

Honestly, the entire Mobile Nations team is awesome to work with - I'm sure the forum people are just as awesome! :D

When I knew nothing about Linux I grabbed the Ark Linux distro (now discontinued). I moved onto being a heavy Fedora and Ubuntu user for a bit before switching to Windows 7 full time (and now Windows 8).

The YOGA 13 is an awesome machine, but it's not there for me yet - it needs a backlit keyboard IMO. I like the hybrid machines, but most of the "twist and flip" units have the battery life of a PC; I want a good 10 solid hours on an Ultrabook hybrid. For now, my Surface and ThinkPad are best friends.

And thanks, I love Gizmo also.

Settling in well - it is a blast to finally have a role where I can focus solely on Microsoft content!
    I could never get drivers to work properly without a lot of tweaking whenever I tried Fedora (issues with Bluetooth and WiFi drivers).

I used to like Ubuntu, but I don't like Unity desktop. Mint is nice, since Mate is a fork of the older Gnome desktop.

I'm not so much interested in long battery life as I am in portability. The Yoga 13 is a lot lighter than my current 15" HP laptop.

Backlit keyboard would be nice to have, but it's not a dealbreaker for me, since I'm a touch typist, and I currently don't have a backlit keyboard.
    06-14-2013 05:32 PM
    Hey Michael!!
    Nice to see you here. I"ll have to admit that I was initially skeptical about a Microsoft guy specifically for Windows 8 news here at WPC. But after reading your Xbox DRM article, I must say, I am impressed!
    Glad to have you here. Hope you stick around.

P.S. Thank you for adding the "and gals". :)
    06-15-2013 02:32 PM
    P.S. Thank you for adding the "and gals". :)
    Of course! "Gals" are 50% of the population aren't they? :D
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-15-2013 06:50 PM
    Hey! Welcome. Nice to see another Lenovo fan. Its the closest thing you can get to IBM and the MS DOS days with Microsoft...too bad they didn't make it, but at least the ThinkPad is here to stay.
    Hey guys (and gals),

I've been with the Mobile Nations team for about a month now and realized that I have yet to step into the forums and say hello.
    My name is Michael Archambault and I've been a tech geek since I was about three years old. I went through a ton of “geek community” phases; I was a Linux guy for a while, I had multiple MacBook Pros in the past, and I owned a handful of Windows gaming rigs. After using a few Linux distros, OS X, and Windows 7 – I decided the Microsoft ecosystem was the place for me.

Originally I loved Windows’ ability to play a never ending list of videogames and the ability to create a custom built gaming rig, but then I moved to a console (Xbox 360) and picked up an Ultrabook for long battery life. I’m still a Windows guy to this day though; I love the beautiful and creative machines being released by various OEMs. Between you, me, and everyone else here – I find grey Macbooks with OS X extremely boring (give me an awesomely red colored touch-screen Ultrabook hybrid that flips and twirls, with a colorful interface thrown on top).

I’ll be outright and say that my favorite OEM is Lenovo (at the moment); I’m a huge ThinkPad fan and as a journalist, the keyboard is perfect for me. I always keep my eye on other OEMS though; too much “coolness” happening to miss out on anything.

My gadget arsenal right now is a red Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8, a ThinkPad X1 Carbon running Windows 8 Pro (non-touch… sadly), and a Microsoft Surface RT 64 GB. I also have an Xbox 360 Slim with Kinect and a Wii U.

Anyway, I don't know much else to say, so now it’s your turn - say hello, connect with me on twitter, and ask questions. Fire away!
    I can't wait to get to know every single one of you and if you ever need to reach out to me, you can do so via email, michael@wpcentral.com, or Twitter, @marcham93.

P.S.- I know the internet loves pictures of cats, but unfortunately I don't have one. Instead here is a picture of my Chinchilla, Gizmo.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-17-2013 07:59 PM
    Welcome Michael!
    06-17-2013 08:54 PM