Looking to jump into Windows Phone as my first smartphone!

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody!
I've been lurking for the past few weeks reading great advice and information relating to Windows Phone 8. I currently have an Samsung Intensity III with Verizon, and although my family members all have smartphones now I have held back because I want to make sure I get the phone that will suit my needs and will be worth the added monthly cost. One interesting fact, though, is that last November I actually upgraded to a Lumia 822...for 3 hours before turning it back in. It's a long story, but with the pressures of traveling back to college in the same day as well as being forced to decide on the spot when my Cosmos Touch broke, I wasn't ready yet for a smartphone and barely scratched the surface with the Lumia 822.

Now here we are, 8 months later and I'm ready to consider a smartphone again, only this time I've thought long and hard about it. I have always been heavily involved with Microsoft's Windows ecosystem, so I'm hoping to hear from you all that the phone will tie in nicely with my tastes. I have a Laptop with Windows 8 Pro that I upgraded on the day of release, a Zune loaded with music, and an Xbox. I now use Skydrive as well as the full Office suite. Even so, I primarily use a Verizon POP email address with my Microsoft account yahoo email as backup, alongside a Microsoft Exchange college email.

Reading the above, will Windows Phone 8 be a good fit for my uses? I heavily use calendars that alert me 30 minutes in advance on my dumbphone Intensity III, so that would be nice to continue as accessibly. I have a Google calendar, but wouldn't mind switching fully to Outlook at some point. I guess my biggest fear is longevity of the operating software. People comment how it's a fresh departure from Android and iOS (my family members all have iPhones, which I think are great phones but a dime a dozen), but what about those who never had Android or iOS to begin with? I enjoy the live tiles on my Windows 8 PC and I like the Metro interface, however with the option of a desktop I spend 95% of my time in desktop on my PC. I am more productive in that way, so I just hope that full-time Metro on the Windows Phone 8 will be decent. Not full blown, but enough to edit documents with ease if needed.

Back in November with the 822 my big concern is apps. I'm just a teenage college student who is more focused on his degree than any old app, but of course if my friends have it, I want it...eventually. I don't mind waiting, and it seems now that it has paid off, with 3rd party apps filling the void in the marketplace nicely. This isn't as much of a concern anymore. And of course, Text Messaging is my biggest use currently, and I want it to be easy on this OS as well.

Finally, which phone should I choose? I could go back to the Lumia 822 for free, or jump for the 928 for $50 more, or get a different OS altogether if you don't believe windows phone is for me. Thank you very much for your time reading this painfully long introduction!

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The 928 can be had for free now too. I'd go that route. Windows Phone sounds perfect for you. With no prior smartphone baggage, there's nothing to miss. I believe WP is here for the long-haul and is only going to improve. Jump in, the water's fine. 😊

For what its worth, WP was my first smartphone as well. I had a Touch, so I was very familiar with iOS and I played with Android enough to know that it wasn't enough to make me want to pay for a data package. WP, however, I jumped on board the day it arrived. I knew it was the OS for me.

Christian Sosa

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I know your a college student and on a tight budget, but if google calendars doesn't work out I think outlook will be just fine. Its what I use, it syncs well on my desktop. I use windows phone 8, Lumia 928. I have a desktop with windows 8 pro, and I am also a college kid. So far I haven't had that moment of missing out on cool apps that weren't on my phone. Dude any question regarding outlook feel free to private message me.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you both for the quick replies! I'm not tied to Google Calendar at all, I just prefer it right now because I can SMS calendar events to my phone for free. With a smartphone that wouldn't be needed anymore. I hope to have one calendar based off of the Microsoft Exchange and another personal one for my Microsoft Account. I may have to take you up on the offer for help, haha.

@dakranii : the 928 is free now at Verizon?

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everybody! I'm currently on a Verizon plan so if I can make this work through Amazon I will. I hope to be a WP8 user in the coming days!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
WP will be fine for you. I have multiple calendars that sync between my phone and my Surface tablet. And with everything being in the same ecosystem, they actually work better. I don't use my gmail anymore or google calendar. Everything is MS for me, other than youtube :)

I have every app I need and don't miss anything we don't have.

As far as longevity of the OS, don't worry, WP is here for good.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear! How about the freshness of the appeal? Does WP8's novelty of being different wear out over time? I just hope Microsoft doesn't follow in Android's path and make it difficult to update the devices as they age.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It was free at Newegg, but I saw today that it's back to $19.99. But $0.99 at Amazon is pretty much the same thing. ��

That's still an incredible price! Since I'm already on contract with Verizon and have always upgraded in-store, do you know how it works upgrading through Amazon?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear! How about the freshness of the appeal? Does WP8's novelty of being different wear out over time? I just hope Microsoft doesn't follow in Android's path and make it difficult to update the devices as they age.

the appeal hasn't worn out for me yet and I've been using it for 2+ years now.

As for upgrading through Amazon, it's a piece of cake. It would similar to upgrading through Verizon's site. They ship the phone with activation instructions and you'll be up and running soon.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
the appeal hasn't worn out for me yet and I've been using it for 2+ years now.

As for upgrading through Amazon, it's a piece of cake. It would similar to upgrading through Verizon's site. They ship the phone with activation instructions and you'll be up and running soon.

As 2 years is the length of a contract, that makes me feel great! Thank you for the help, I'm sure I'll be back with questions in no time haha

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Go for it dude! I use my Lumia 920 for work and I can tell you it made my life hellova alot easier the rooms function is brilliant as you can invite other smartphone users to it

Rooms is a built in function of the people hub where all the people that have joined have one shared calendar and one message sent goes to all the people. It's like having a conversation -).
However ios or android users will not get the full wp experience has it is not part of their phone only shared calendars and messages. Furthermore if the anyone else has a WP you can share pictures and notes between each other and much more.

I would recommend you looking at the how tos

Here is the link to Windows Phone Utube channel

Windows Phone Videos - YouTube

Also your better off getting a Nokia Windows Phone. -) and 99 cents is a eye popping bargain...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're a college student, why not look at the 521 from T-Mobile with the Walmart $40/month plan... monthly outgoings will be less that way.

Not a top end Windows Phone, but when you can pick it up for $120-130 off contract, with such a low monthly plan, might be fine for you.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone! Windows Phone is looking better and better for me with the things it can do and without me needing anything from Android or iOS as a new user. The Rooms function is pretty cool, so I've heard as well. The 521 from T-Mobile sounds like a good bargain, but I'm on a family plan from Verizon so even though it saves money that way it's easier going this route plus I may have some help with the increased monthly bill from my parents, who knows.

I just noticed today that the Lumia 928 is back up to $99.99 on the Verizon wireless website, but it's still $0.99 on Amazon. Either I go the Amazon route or go back to the 822. My first question is, how is the 822 compared to the 928 (I'm aware the screen resolution isn't as great). And also, would someone be able to walk me through how to buy a phone through Amazon? I have been due for a new 2-year contract for months now so this new smartphone would be an upgrade on my family plan.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you're buying your phone through Amazon (I have AT&T but, should essentially be the same) make sure it's being sold through "Amazon Wireless Services" or something like that. It'll giving you some pricing options to buy off-contract, upgrade or new 2 year contract. Then it should let you log in with phone carrier credentials or you have to enter your information. :)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone! Windows Phone is looking better and better for me with the things it can do and without me needing anything from Android or iOS as a new user. The Rooms function is pretty cool, so I've heard as well. The 521 from T-Mobile sounds like a good bargain, but I'm on a family plan from Verizon so even though it saves money that way it's easier going this route plus I may have some help with the increased monthly bill from my parents, who knows.

I just noticed today that the Lumia 928 is back up to $99.99 on the Verizon wireless website, but it's still $0.99 on Amazon. Either I go the Amazon route or go back to the 822. My first question is, how is the 822 compared to the 928 (I'm aware the screen resolution isn't as great). And also, would someone be able to walk me through how to buy a phone through Amazon? I have been due for a new 2-year contract for months now so this new smartphone would be an upgrade on my family plan.

Glad you asked that question. the difference is that
Use your phone will gloves (sensitive display)
High Resolution
Pureview Camera
colours more saturated
That's all I know LOL. hope someone with a 928 in da States help :)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am a WP8 addict, but if you are low on funding, free apps make a difference, so Android would be my recommendation, until MS decides to integrate adverts into many of the good games and apps... Plus if you study you will probably find more study relevant apps on Android. But if you can afford two smartphones, get one WP8, especially for email and txt it blows everything away!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb