Switching to WP8 from Android

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

After watching WP8 development from sidelines, decided to give it a try after 4 years on Android. Prior to that, I used iOS for a couple years, but found it too boring. My main reason for giving WP8 a try is I use Office 365 in my business, and the tighter integration between my phone and desktop is appealing.

I think the 925 is a great looking phone, but T-Mobile coverage is poor to nonexistent from my home office and I didn't want to pay full price and jump through hoops to get it unlocked. So I bought a used unlocked red 920 on EBay and it just arrived today. So far - I'm impressed. Setup was easy and I quickly was linked into my mail and office 365 accounts. I was a little concerned about all the noise about phone being heavy - but I honestly don't see it as being an issue. Yes, it is a few ounces heavier than my Nexus 4, but it's not made of lead!

I'll be putting WP8 through its paces over the next few weeks. If everything works out - my Nexus 4 may be history!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone! Glad to see someone else who thinks the 920's weight is a non-issue. Hope all goes well for you as you get going with it the next couple of weeks. Feel free to ask any questions you have in the forums. There's a lot of smarts posters here that can help.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Same boat. Nexus 4 to L920. I think we both made a good decision. Still using the n4 though. Have 2 numbers anyway. But my main phone since I got the 920 is this

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey MazoMark,

Great to see you're liking your phone and a hearty welcome to the WPCentral forums. I think the reviewers blew the weight of the 92x series out of proportion generally, but if you're directly comparing two different devices like they do all the time there is a difference I suppose they wanted to at least make you aware of. How are you finding the Office 365 stuff is working on your phone? Better or worse than expected?

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm only about 72 hours into my WP experience, but here's my first impressions.

Positives
Phone build quality is great. Much better than any of my Samsung or LG Android phones.
Office 365 integration works great. Better than any of third party options I tried on Android.
Camera no doubt
Screen resolution great with good visibility outdoors. I don't like the oversaturated colors on AMOLED screens.
Setup was easy. A few challenges linking some accounts,but worked it out quickly.

Negatives
Phone is slippery! I've ordered a Nokia case which should solve this.
I miss my Swiftkey Flow keyboard. The level of customization and prediction capability isn't as good on WP keyboard in my opinion.
Two apps I haven't found replacements for are Google Now and a good news aggregator like Flipboard, Pulse, or Google Currents. Hope to see a good option soon.

Overall, positives win out. I'm going to make WP my daily driver. Hopefully it continues to impress and gains even more capabilities with future updates.

MazoMark

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on the keyboard. I've been a long time swiftkey and swype user but yes, the pros outweigh the cons

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Negatives
Two apps I haven't found replacements for are Google Now and a good news aggregator like Flipboard, Pulse, or Google Currents. Hope to see a good option soon.

MazoMark

Weave is a great aggregator, not as polished as the ones you mentioned, but it certainly gets the job done.

Newser is another one that pulls in stories which are then rewritten by a dedicated staff into a bitesize format. It also categorizes stories by superlative, voted by readers i.e. there's a section with the "Most Intruiging", "Most Depressing", etc. story of the day, which is excellent for stumbling across the less covered or more quirky stories.

Flipboard are developing an app for WP8 by the way. Counting the days myself!

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
As a fellow ex-Android user (well, almost, contract isn't up just yet) I understand your plight.
Welcome to the forums!

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and that how I got my L920 and it the same colour as your!
Thanks. I'm several weeks into my WP experience and still using the 920 as my daily driver. Overall, still happy with the device and don't feel need to upgrade or return to Android. If AT&T had come out with the $99 for 520 prepaid that they announced today sooner, I probably would have jumped on that. As it is, I'm glad to have the 920.

Two biggest things I miss are Swiftkey keyboard and Google Now. If swype style typing were available for Nokia keyboard, I'd be a happy camper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte