Switching from Galaxy S3 to Windows (Lumia 920) - Feels very limited ):

r3faat1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
So I've been an Android user for awhile now. Just yesterday I've switched from my beloved Galaxy S3 to Lumia 920. The only reason for switching was because I develop for windows and thought I would get into phone sooner or later :D

So far, I have to say, I am impressed with this phone. Very Solid so far! I think I'll get used to it just fine.

One complaint - It's very very limited for developers IMO. We barely have access to anything or I just didn't check hard enough.
For example: I wanted to create a call blocker app, but I don't think we're allowed to access the call engine.
Just my 2 cents, hopefully, it wont be as limited in the future.

Nice meeting you guys!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
One complaint - It's very very limited for developers IMO. We barely have access to anything or I just didn't check hard enough.
For example: I wanted to create a call blocker app, but I don't think we're allowed to access the call engine.
Just my 2 cents, hopefully, it wont be as limited in the future.

Nice meeting you guys!

I'm not a dev, so this is purely speculation. I think if you don't have access to the call engine, it may be a security feature. There may be some other aspect of accessing the call engine that could be used to do malicious things with a phone. Purely guessing here!

I know a call blocker app is not malicious, but maybe this is a feature that actually makes WP better than Android.

Welcome to the group!

r3faat1

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone :) Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm not a dev, so this is purely speculation. I think if you don't have access to the call engine, it may be a security feature. There may be some other aspect of accessing the call engine that could be used to do malicious things with a phone. Purely guessing here!

I know a call blocker app is not malicious, but maybe this is a feature that actually makes WP better than Android.

You are correct, Microsoft is preventing this due to better security, which DOES make WP more stable and secure than Android. However, Microsoft also needs to realize people love to TWEAK on their phone. iOS were also restricted, however, people Jail-broke it only for the reason of being able to tweak.

When we create something, it has to go through Microsoft App certification process, where Microsoft verifies the app. I was thinking something like, if we do create a "Call Blocker" app, Microsoft will test it to make sure the app is not Malicious during the certification process.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone :) Thank you for the warm welcome.

You are correct, Microsoft is preventing this due to better security, which DOES make WP more stable and secure than Android. However, Microsoft also needs to realize people love to TWEAK on their phone. iOS were also restricted, however, people Jail-broke it only for the reason of being able to tweak.

When we create something, it has to go through Microsoft App certification process, where Microsoft verifies the app. I was thinking something like, if we do create a "Call Blocker" app, Microsoft will test it to make sure the app is not Malicious during the certification process.

Welcome to the community and it is a pain having it all lock down, there an app which I ask the developer if it was possible to have in the background and they responded that it not allowed however I suppose that is why the platform is stable.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
From what I know, android is an open source OS, windows is a fortress to a certain extent.
Altough limited devs out there, put the OS packs the punch to attract more of them ;).
Am sure you'll enjoy your 920 in the longer run :)

Giovanni Marin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think that the limitati on sometimes are good for the user but sometimes they feel very stupid.. Like the fact that it's not really possible to access the native calendar from 3rd party apps.. And many others..

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Nice meeting you guys!

This is intentional m8. Developers don't have so much room to make those things. This is to protect basic functionality of the system, I think. I like that. Have almost no freeze in Windows Phone, since WP7. Even with thousands app installed.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
If this is for stability why are there truck loads of threads about people complaining about their Windows Phone 8 device rebooting randomly?

Any forum will have many more complaints than not as those looking for help post. Those that have no issues don't typically post. For every user that has issues there are many more that do not.

Welcome to the forums!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
If this is for stability why are there truck loads of threads about people complaining about their Windows Phone 8 device rebooting randomly?

In a month with my Lumia 820, i had just one reboot. But this happens more often on 512mb smartphones. At least with my coworker, who have a Lumia 720 and had a Lumia 620 before.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Any forum will have many more complaints than not as those looking for help post. Those that have no issues don't typically post. For every user that has issues there are many more that do not.

Welcome to the forums!
Come on you can't seriously deny that there have been a lot of people complaining about this one specific issue. It was almost unusable before the Portico update. It's better after that but random restarts are still there.

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome.
As a developer, I agree that the SDK could do with some more API's. I have had ideas for apps that I cannot make due to not having access to the API's that I would need. Still as people comment, it?s for the greater good that the eco system is locked down like this. I do think that over time, some more API's will become available, that will help the situation for developers, while still ensuring security and other compromises are not affected.

Glad you like your 920. I recently acquired a GSIII and love it, but also love all three of my WP devices as well. I often go back to Lumia 820.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720