Possible new user here, need some feedback

menaknow

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am currently a BB10 user. While I like the BB10 phone, I believe in trying and evaluating other devices as my hardware upgrade is available. Already tried the iPhone and discovered it is not for me for example...

I wanted to try a WP8 device. Now I understand the Nokia Lumia 1020 is coming at the end of the month. But my provider Rogers has the 920 available at 19.99 with 3 year agreement.

Is it better to wait for the 1020? I've been reading from users with the 920 that the 1020 isn't that much of a leap.

I generally use my phone for organization, as well as I am a .net developer so I wanted to try developing some applications with the phone.

Appreciate your thoughts...

IrRevd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, if you are a BB10 user it would suggest have just upgraded as BB10 only just out.

If you don't mind, can I answer your question with another question. Do you need a 41MP camera? If the answer is no I'd get the 920 which I understand to have a top of the line camera but if photos are a big factor for you then you may wish to pay the extra for the 1020 although in my opinion the 1020 is very niece and overboard for most users. That isn't to say of course that I wouldn't buy one if I had ?600 lying around.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing about the 1020 is the camera. Most of the updates running on it will come to the other 92x series soon. So if it's mostly for what you have stated, the 920 should do just fine.

menaknow

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, if you are a BB10 user it would suggest have just upgraded as BB10 only just out.
I developed a application for BB10, and got one of the limited edition devices. (For the most part I like the device too however there is one issue, random restarts which makes me worried when I really need the phone it will be ... restarting :angry:)

If you don't mind, can I answer your question with another question. Do you need a 41MP camera? If the answer is no I'd get the 920 which I understand to have a top of the line camera but if photos are a big factor for you then you may wish to pay the extra for the 1020 although in my opinion the 1020 is very niece and overboard for most users. That isn't to say of course that I wouldn't buy one if I had ?600 lying around.

Don't mind at all. I am a hobby photographer, but I consider good pictures are what the dSLR is for. But thanks for the heads up! Not sure even if I had the cash I'd spend $600 extra for a better phone camera ...

Now I am assuming the 920 is pretty good?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 920 since launch and I'm very happy with it. And for me, the camera on that is really good, especially indoor shots. Which is most of my use catching the kids doing something and wanting to get a picture of it spur of the moment. As far as the rest of the phone, couldn't be more pleased. But then I'm probably not what you consider a power user. Just basic email, texting, internet and a couple of apps and game.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! If you need the camera, then go with the 1020, but if the camera isn't that important to you, go with the 920. It is a great phone and it is a really good camera in that one too :smile:

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I agree with everyone else. The 920 for $20 is a steal, I'm a bit jealous. 3 years though, ouch. I have VZW and 2 is bad enough.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
According to AAWP, the L928 will also be heading to Rogers and Koodo Mobile. If I was buying a smartphone today, I would prefer the L928 or the L925 over the L920. Both are thinner and lighter than the L920, but more importantly, they both use AMOLED display technology which I much prefer (maybe you do to?). IMHO AMOLED is a perfect match for WP's metro UI, as the high contrast and perfect blacks make the UI pop! Also, Nokia will soon be releasing an always-on clock feature, which will only work on devices with AMOLED displays.

If the L920 interests you, I think the L928 or L925 should also be considered.

As others have already stated, the price of the L1020 is only justifiable if image quality is really important to you. It rivals other point and shoot cameras, but certainly wont be replacing a high-end SLR.

menaknow

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
According to AAWP, the L928 will also be heading to Rogers and Koodo Mobile. If I was buying a smartphone today, I would prefer the L928 or the L925 over the L920. Both are thinner and lighter than the L920, but more importantly, they both use AMOLED display technology which I much prefer (maybe you do to?). IMHO AMOLED is a perfect match for WP's metro UI, as the high contrast and perfect blacks make the UI pop! Also, Nokia will soon be releasing an always-on clock feature, which will only work on devices with AMOLED displays.

If the L920 interests you, I think the L928 or L925 should also be considered.

As others have already stated, the price of the L1020 is only justifiable if image quality is really important to you. It rivals other point and shoot cameras, but certainly wont be replacing a high-end SLR.

I didn't know that, I'll wait for the AMOLED version definitely!

Thx

menaknow

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I agree with everyone else. The 920 for $20 is a steal, I'm a bit jealous. 3 years though, ouch. I have VZW and 2 is bad enough.

Yeah, 3 years is standard at the moment in Canada. It suppose to change to 2 years in December. That just means that it will be more expensive.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard. I think you will be safe with either the 920 or 928. Now, since the 928 is a newer phone, if you have the chance to get it, might as well go for it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I would wait for the L1020 it look awesome if you can if not there are others that are excellent like the L925.

I'm considering buying the L1020 for a necessary second device.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Trust me, same here.

Last phone I've bought outside of contract (bold 9900) just to stay out of contract.
Oh carriers, what joy they bring with their contracts, and fees, and 1 bar of reception every time you need it, and 4 bars every time you don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans