Potential 8XT user, tired of iPhone

MaggsM

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I'm an iPhone 4 user on Sprint.

I've had an upgrade for a while but have been holding off becuase the iPhone 5 was really the only option I had at Sprint (read: Not an Android fan).

I was thrilled when I heard Sprint was finally starting to carry Windows phones. I recently purchased the XPS 12 convertible laptop and have been excited about getting a Windows phone to match. With the 8XT coming out this Friday, I'm a little unsure. Should I make the leap, or continue to wait for a more high-end model to emerge on Sprint? Wait for the Ativ S Neo?

I plan to use my old iPhone as an iPod touch so I can continue to fully access apps such as Instagram and Vine. As a 20-year-old, a big reservation about switching to WP is no Snapchat. :eck:

I guess my main concern would be the resolution, though, with the 8XT at 480x800 compared to the iPhone 5 at 640x1136. I don't have a ton of background knowledge about all the technical specs of phones, but 326 ppi compared to 217 seems like it might make a difference in image quality.

I've been perusing these forums for the past couple weeks now, so I decided to finally woman up introduce myself. Let me know what you think I should do! I'd love to hear from another Sprint user in a similar predicament.

Happy Tuesday!

Margaret :smile:

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
so I decided to finally woman up

Haha I love it. Just not used to hearing that saying changed around.

Just look at it this way: What have you got to lose? I'm sure there is some sort of return window where you can freely return the device without any penalty. I would find out what that time window is, and give the device a try. If you don't like it, bring it back. If you like it, keep it. It's always worth a try!

Descanso

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I am going to wait and see what the Neo has to offer. I know many people discount Samsung for the plastic feel of their phones. However, my wife has had the G1 for years and dropped it on our hardwood floors more times than I can count. Yet it still works fine.

I just hope I don’t have to wait too long for Samsung to get in the game.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
As a long time Sprint user who has gone from Symbian, WebOS, BlackBerry, Android and soon to be WP8 user with the NEO, I suggest to wait for the NEO vs taking the 8XT per your concerns stated. The NEO will put you closer to what you are used to coming from the IP4. The 8XT isn't a bad phone either per specs, but I would feel like I'm compromising vs the NEO. The NEO's release date hasn't been announced yet, but will be this summer. I suspect during August based on chatter and applying a margin of error. I too want the Win8/WP8 ecosystem that MS is so diligently producing along with Blue/8.1 updates.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

MaggsM

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I saw an article that "Swapchat" has recently gotten an update. I'm curious to see how it behaves in comparison to the standard Snapchat app. Definitely going to look into a trial period to try everything out!

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I am going to wait and see what the Neo has to offer. I know many people discount Samsung for the plastic feel of their phones. However, my wife has had the G1 for years and dropped it on our hardwood floors more times than I can count. Yet it still works fine.

I just hope I don’t have to wait too long for Samsung to get in the game.

I am pretty sure you're not talking about Tmobile G1 lol

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard MaggsM to WP central it's great to have you, what ever your choice of wp device maybe, you're soon see there is life after iPhone.

Enjoy and check out our many forums and soon you'll have many more friends. Check out Windows Phone 8 how to guilds & tips and tricks for newbie's.
Good luck

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I would wait until something better comes along. No reason to get midtier devices.
I'm in agreement. I signed onto a new contract with AT&T when the Lumia 900 came out, and not too long after that WP8 came out. While I'm not bitter about the situation, I definitely would have saved that for a WP8 device and would have just bought another WP7 device off contract. Basically, I would hold off if you're just ready for a new OS but not excited about the phone itself. But if you love the 8XT then go for it

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Swapchat did get updated recently, works just as well as the android/iphone version, however I understand it keeps dropping in and out of the store. I have a feeling the dev is having an argument with the Snapchat team...

Josh Cea

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
if you're in CA the return period is 30 days, try it out, I hear that even though there's low ppi on the 8XT it still has an amazing screen and that the boom sound sounds fantastic!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are tied to Sprint I Would wait, if you have good At&t reception, I would make the jump and get the Nokia Lumia 1020. Clearly the best Windows Phone device available starting Friday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro