Hi!

I'm an iPhone 4 user on Sprint.

I've had an upgrade for a while but have been holding off becuase the iPhone 5 was really the only option I had at Sprint (read: Not an Android fan).

I was thrilled when I heard Sprint was finally starting to carry Windows phones. I recently purchased the XPS 12 convertible laptop and have been excited about getting a Windows phone to match. With the 8XT coming out this Friday, I'm a little unsure. Should I make the leap, or continue to wait for a more high-end model to emerge on Sprint? Wait for the Ativ S Neo?

I plan to use my old iPhone as an iPod touch so I can continue to fully access apps such as Instagram and Vine. As a 20-year-old, a big reservation about switching to WP is no Snapchat.

I guess my main concern would be the resolution, though, with the 8XT at 480x800 compared to the iPhone 5 at 640x1136. I don't have a ton of background knowledge about all the technical specs of phones, but 326 ppi compared to 217 seems like it might make a difference in image quality.

I've been perusing these forums for the past couple weeks now, so I decided to finally woman up introduce myself. Let me know what you think I should do! I'd love to hear from another Sprint user in a similar predicament.

Happy Tuesday!

Margaret
    Muessig likes this.
    07-16-2013 11:37 AM
    so I decided to finally woman up
    Haha I love it. Just not used to hearing that saying changed around.

Just look at it this way: What have you got to lose? I'm sure there is some sort of return window where you can freely return the device without any penalty. I would find out what that time window is, and give the device a try. If you don't like it, bring it back. If you like it, keep it. It's always worth a try!
    07-16-2013 11:49 AM
    And just to let you know, Instagram, Vine, and Snapchat now have third party apps that you can use. You won't really need to use your old iPhone at all!
    07-16-2013 11:54 AM
    I am going to wait and see what the Neo has to offer. I know many people discount Samsung for the plastic feel of their phones. However, my wife has had the G1 for years and dropped it on our hardwood floors more times than I can count. Yet it still works fine.

I just hope I don’t have to wait too long for Samsung to get in the game.
    07-16-2013 01:31 PM
    The 8xt is a supped up 8s I take it.. Minus resolution looks nice though. Whens neo come out?
    07-16-2013 01:38 PM
    As a long time Sprint user who has gone from Symbian, WebOS, BlackBerry, Android and soon to be WP8 user with the NEO, I suggest to wait for the NEO vs taking the 8XT per your concerns stated. The NEO will put you closer to what you are used to coming from the IP4. The 8XT isn't a bad phone either per specs, but I would feel like I'm compromising vs the NEO. The NEO's release date hasn't been announced yet, but will be this summer. I suspect during August based on chatter and applying a margin of error. I too want the Win8/WP8 ecosystem that MS is so diligently producing along with Blue/8.1 updates.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    MaggsM likes this.
    07-16-2013 02:07 PM
    I saw an article that "Swapchat" has recently gotten an update. I'm curious to see how it behaves in comparison to the standard Snapchat app. Definitely going to look into a trial period to try everything out!
    07-16-2013 03:17 PM
    The 8xt is a supped up 8s I take it.. Minus resolution looks nice though. Whens neo come out?
    All I've seen is "this summer," not too sure on an official release date yet.
    07-16-2013 03:18 PM
    I am going to wait and see what the Neo has to offer. I know many people discount Samsung for the plastic feel of their phones. However, my wife has had the G1 for years and dropped it on our hardwood floors more times than I can count. Yet it still works fine.

I just hope I don’t have to wait too long for Samsung to get in the game.
    I am pretty sure you're not talking about Tmobile G1 lol
    Josh Cea and rdubmu like this.
    07-16-2013 06:14 PM
    Welcome aboard MaggsM to WP central it's great to have you, what ever your choice of wp device maybe, you're soon see there is life after iPhone.

Enjoy and check out our many forums and soon you'll have many more friends. Check out Windows Phone 8 how to guilds & tips and tricks for newbie's.
    Good luck
    Muessig and MaggsM like this.
    07-16-2013 08:19 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Best of luck switching to WP!
    MaggsM likes this.
    07-16-2013 10:22 PM
    I would wait until something better comes along. No reason to get midtier devices.
    07-16-2013 10:31 PM
    I would wait until something better comes along. No reason to get midtier devices.
    I'm in agreement. I signed onto a new contract with AT&T when the Lumia 900 came out, and not too long after that WP8 came out. While I'm not bitter about the situation, I definitely would have saved that for a WP8 device and would have just bought another WP7 device off contract. Basically, I would hold off if you're just ready for a new OS but not excited about the phone itself. But if you love the 8XT then go for it
    MaggsM likes this.
    07-17-2013 05:10 AM
    Welcome to the forum and go for it, change is good!
    07-20-2013 03:14 PM
    Welcome to WPCentral!
    07-24-2013 01:37 PM
    Swapchat did get updated recently, works just as well as the android/iphone version, however I understand it keeps dropping in and out of the store. I have a feeling the dev is having an argument with the Snapchat team...
    07-24-2013 01:43 PM
    if you're in CA the return period is 30 days, try it out, I hear that even though there's low ppi on the 8XT it still has an amazing screen and that the boom sound sounds fantastic!
    07-24-2013 02:25 PM
    If you are tied to Sprint I Would wait, if you have good At&t reception, I would make the jump and get the Nokia Lumia 1020. Clearly the best Windows Phone device available starting Friday.
    07-24-2013 10:25 PM