View Poll Results: What do you guys think I should do?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nokia 928 & Verizon

12 29.27%
  • Nokia 925 & T-Mobile

10 24.39%
  • Wait it out... Better phones are likely around the corner with GDR3 and Blue

19 46.34%
08-25-2013 08:45 PM
55 123
tools
    So based on that, much like myself and some others stated...if you want a temp change while waiting just go with a 520 or 521. It will reassure you if WP is your style or not, at a cheap cost and tons of benefits. My final 2 cents :)
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-18-2013 01:07 PM
    Yeah, chezm gets exactly what I'm driving at. I'm not your average consumer. I don't generally fall for gimmicks (GS4's 9000+ sensor b.s.) and I understand that WP8 is much slimmer, faster and more reliable that the OS that ships with most of the competition. That's why I'm looking at WP in the first place.

However, this is the phone that I'm going to have to make do with for the next 2 years at least. While I know that it won't perform badly, it makes me a little uneasy to invest into a year-old piece of technology, particularly in a time when there's very exciting things going on with ARM processors.

Also, 11B1P, a higher pixel count (or better yet, pixel density) and support for newer technologies (such as Bluetooth 4.0 and 802.11ac) are very valid consumer concerns. If you want to scuff at people who fall for gimmicky phone features then I'd look at the Nokia Lumia 1020's disgustingly large 41MP camera or Samsung's "hand-wavy" sensor things.
    The 1020's 41MP sensor isn't a gimmick, though...
    08-18-2013 03:18 PM
    Like others suggested try out the Lumia 520 / Lumia 521 or try the 720 (if you need a decent camera) and see if WP is for you. As the beauty of the WP8 is you will get the same experience across the board (unless you want to run some heavy duty games that need min 1 gb to run), which is smooth and lag free.

However there are some quirks you need to know as you will be using your phone for productivity, if you want to attach a document to email a i.e. word document use share from the office hub. As currently if you try to attach via an email created from any email live tile you are confined to the pictures hub. However once you have attached the document via the office hub and you tap attach it defaults to the pictures hub.

I get around this by saving my documents to a shared sky drive folder and saving it there, which then my colleagues can access it via the generated link.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 08-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-18-2013 04:20 PM
    The 1020's 41MP sensor isn't a gimmick, though...
    Please follow this link.

That's a high-end, $4,000 Canon DSLR. Note the megapixel count. That's right, it doesn't break 24MP. Now tell me, how is offering a 41MP camera on a phone not a gimmick?

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt for a second that the camera on the L1020 is superb. What I'm saying here is that in releasing that phone Nokia is (at least partially) subscribing to the Apple state of mind of "buy me, I has more bigger number stuffs." The truth of the matter is most people don't truly understand what a megapixel is, let alone how it truly affects photography. Phone companies know this and simply engage in a phallic measuring contest to try to draw in unaware customers.
    08-18-2013 10:43 PM
    Please follow this link.

That's a high-end, $4,000 Canon DSLR. Note the megapixel count. That's right, it doesn't break 24MP. Now tell me, how is offering a 41MP camera on a phone not a gimmick?

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt for a second that the camera on the L1020 is superb. What I'm saying here is that in releasing that phone Nokia is (at least partially) subscribing to the Apple state of mind of "buy me, I has more bigger number stuffs." The truth of the matter is most people don't truly understand what a megapixel is, let alone how it truly affects photography. Phone companies know this and simply engage in a phallic measuring contest to try to draw in unaware customers.
    It isn't a gimmick because it is need for the lossless digital zoom.
    08-18-2013 10:48 PM
    Hey everyone!

My name is Cristian, I'm from Wisconsin (US). I'm 21 and work doing technical support for security equipment (video surveillance and access control). I've been a loyal Android customer since the HTC Hero hit the shelves about 4 years ago. As a techie, I've thoroughly enjoyed rooting my phones and tinkering with every last detail. However, as of late I find that I do a lot less of playing with my phone and am much more productivity-oriented when I do need to use it.

Because of this, now that my rooted HTC Evo 3D is showing its age - and incidentally has a cracked screen a month out of warranty - I'm looking very seriously at getting a Windows phone. I'm also going to be switching carriers from Sprint, most likely to either Verizon or T-Mobile. I'm strongly considering getting either the Nokia Lumia 928 or the Nokia Lumia 925, depending on which carrier I wind up with.

My biggest concern right now is which of these two carriers I should go with, and although coverage and cost are my bigger concerns I am a bit torn between the 928 and 925. As if that weren't enough, I'm also struggling with whether to upgrade at all at this time considering that I could possibly keep my phone and Sprint (I get a highly discounted rate with them) for a few more months to wait and see what Nokia or HTC do once WP 8.1 hits the ground...

I hope to be able to find some good information and discussions here in the WPCentral forums so that I can make a more informed decision on my next phone purchase. Either way, I'm already won over by Microsoft's guile
    You can't go wrong with either the Lumia 925 or 928, but I'd go with the 928 for a few reasons:
    1. It is free right now. Free!
    2. It has 32 GB instead of 16GB
    3. It has a Xenon flash
    4. Built-in wireless charging
    5. Verizon has better coverage and better customer service
    snowmutt and kriz225 like this.
    08-18-2013 10:52 PM
    It isn't a gimmick because it is need for the lossless digital zoom.
    Hmm... so why aren't all these big name DSLR manufacturers pumping out 1,000,000,000,000^99 megapixel cameras? Surely they've heard of this mystical technology.

You can't go wrong with either the Lumia 925 or 928, but I'd go with the 928 for a few reasons:
    1. It is free right now. Free!
    2. It has 32 GB instead of 16GB
    3. It has a Xenon flash
    4. Built-in wireless charging
    5. Verizon has better coverage and better customer service
    You know, I probably am going to go with the 928. I'm waiting to find out exactly what sort of a discount I can get through my employer for Verizon. $$ is going to be a big factor in my decision.

I know most of you seem to think I should wait it out and... well I agree to some extent. There's always going to be something better in the horizon. I know I won't be disappointed with WP8. Inconvenienced at times, maybe, but not disappointed. The L928 is a good enough upgrade to hold me for 2 years I think, and it's free. Verizon should cure my disgruntlement with Sprint's lack of data and voice coverage.
    Last edited by kriz225; 08-18-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I'm being good and not double-posting :)
    08-18-2013 11:09 PM
    Hmm... so why aren't all these big name DSLR manufacturers pumping out 1,000,000,000,000^99 megapixel cameras? Surely they've heard of this mystical technology.
    Because they don't need to.

Optical zoom > Digital zoom.
    Lossless digital zoom is needed due to the fact that optical zoom doesn't really work out on phones (See: N93, Galaxy S4 Zoom) and that the normal phone photo is also far from a dedicated camera in terms of quality.
    The 41 MP is supposed to solve those two problems.
    willied likes this.
    08-18-2013 11:13 PM
    Because they don't need to.

Optical zoom > Digital zoom.
    Lossless digital zoom is needed due to the fact that optical zoom doesn't really work out on phones (See: N93, Galaxy S4 Zoom) and that the normal phone photo is also far from a dedicated camera in terms of quality.
    The 41 MP is supposed to solve those two problems.
    True enough. Now if Nokia can pack a 41MP sensor on a $600 phone why can't Canon pack a 41MP sensor on their $4,000 camera? Surely the benefit you have cited would still be applicable, despite the optical zoom.

I think that Nokia would've served their phone better by investing the money they used to shell out a 41MP sensor into a 10MP sensor of higher grade. Sure, you'll lose the ability to digitally zoom into your friend's nostril for comedic purposes but then all pictures in general would be that much better.

I know I'm in the wrong forum for arguing this, and I don't want you guys to take it the wrong way. After years of following Android and buying HTC phones exclusively I am thoroughly impressed and delighted by the offerings from Nokia. Hell I'm already sold on getting one of their phones. I just don't buy that a 41MP camera on a phone is truly something that will benefit anyone as much as they'd like you to think.
    08-18-2013 11:20 PM
    True enough. Now if Nokia can pack a 41MP sensor on a $600 phone why can't Canon pack a 41MP sensor on their $4,000 camera? Surely the benefit you have cited would still be applicable, despite the optical zoom.

I think that Nokia would've served their phone better by investing the money they used to shell out a 41MP sensor into a 10MP sensor of higher grade. Sure, you'll lose the ability to digitally zoom into your friend's nostril for comedic purposes but then all pictures in general would be that much better.

I know I'm in the wrong forum for arguing this, and I don't want you guys to take it the wrong way. After years of following Android and buying HTC phones exclusively I am thoroughly impressed and delighted by the offerings from Nokia. Hell I'm already sold on getting one of their phones. I just don't buy that a 41MP camera on a phone is truly something that will benefit anyone as much as they'd like you to think.
    Well, Canon doesn't need to go through all of the software algorithms and sampling to make up for the challenges of a cell phone. The SLRs have plenty of optical zoom, which is still superior. Also that glass is bringing in better images so why introduce the noise problem to solve and storage issues?

This technology is amazing on a phone and it's not just Nokia saying so. Of course, you don't have buy it and you've seemingly made up your mind about it. I'll stop the sales pitch. :)
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-18-2013 11:33 PM

How do I explain this? You already have optical zoom? Tell me, why the hell would you want, let alone need, digital zoom on a camera like this? Adding to that is the fact that oversampling requires a lot of processing power (See: 808 PureView dedicated DSP) and is in fact a form of post-processing.

As for the benefits, I've already listed them down. You have a camera that can match-even beat- dedicated cameras on a slim (for a camera) frame. Add to that the fact that it's also a phone.

Yes, they could've shelled out the same sensor as the N8, but you'll be limited to 12 MP photos or photos of lower resolutions and lower quality.

That's where oversampling comes in. High quality photos at low resolutions.

Whew. I couldn't remember how long it was since I've gotten into a heated debate like this. Thank you!
    08-18-2013 11:37 PM
    How do I explain this? You already have optical zoom? Tell me, why the hell would you want, let alone need, digital zoom on a camera like this? Adding to that is the fact that oversampling requires a lot of processing power (See: 808 PureView dedicated DSP) and is in fact a form of post-processing.

As for the benefits, I've already listed them down. You have a camera that can match-even beat- dedicated cameras on a slim (for a camera) frame. Add to that the fact that it's also a phone.

Yes, they could've shelled out the same sensor as the N8, but you'll be limited to 12 MP photos or photos of lower resolutions and lower quality.

That's where oversampling comes in. High quality photos at low resolutions.

Whew. I couldn't remember how long it was since I've gotten into a heated debate like this. Thank you!
    You misunderstand me. I am aware that DSLR cameras offer digital zoom and cellphones do not. I am aware that optical zoom is superior to digital zoom.

My point is: if the obscene megapixel count is beneficial to image quality in any way (improved digital zoom, oversampling, etc.) then why would it not be desirable in a device that is intended to do nothing more than take great pictures (DSLR cameras)?

Again, I'm certain that the camera in the L1020 is breathtaking. I'm just saying that it isn't so simply because it has a 41MP sensor. Megapixels describe resolution. Resolution does not necessarily correlate to quality. High resolutions are only truly necessary when needing to produce a (physically) large image, which is unlikely to come from a phone. Picture quality can be better served by a higher quality sensor, able to capture more light and do so more effectively.

It's not as if higher resolution didn't have benefits. I'm sure there would be occasions where the optical zoom could come in handy. Certainly the digital correction of oversampling will provide some discernible benefits. My reason behind calling this a gimmick is that, again, by releasing this phone and touting the 41MP camera Nokia is effectively showing up at the phallic measurement contest with a horse wheenie and slapping it all over everyone else's face. Most consumers are not quite as informed as yourselves and simply assume that 41MP > 8MP = Bettar Photoes! All I'm saying, really, is that statement isn't true but it is what the consumers will perceive as true.
    08-19-2013 01:10 AM
    You misunderstand me. I am aware that DSLR cameras offer digital zoom and cellphones do not. I am aware that optical zoom is superior to digital zoom.

My point is: if the obscene megapixel count is beneficial to image quality in any way (improved digital zoom, oversampling, etc.) then why would it not be desirable in a device that is intended to do nothing more than take great pictures (DSLR cameras)?

Again, I'm certain that the camera in the L1020 is breathtaking. I'm just saying that it isn't so simply because it has a 41MP sensor. Megapixels describe resolution. Resolution does not necessarily correlate to quality. High resolutions are only truly necessary when needing to produce a (physically) large image, which is unlikely to come from a phone. Picture quality can be better served by a higher quality sensor, able to capture more light and do so more effectively.

It's not as if higher resolution didn't have benefits. I'm sure there would be occasions where the optical zoom could come in handy. Certainly the digital correction of oversampling will provide some discernible benefits. My reason behind calling this a gimmick is that, again, by releasing this phone and touting the 41MP camera Nokia is effectively showing up at the phallic measurement contest with a horse wheenie and slapping it all over everyone else's face. Most consumers are not quite as informed as yourselves and simply assume that 41MP > 8MP = Bettar Photoes! All I'm saying, really, is that statement isn't true but it is what the consumers will perceive as true.
    But in all of this you are missing the most important point, Nokia has been very clear about the fact that this 41 megapixel sensor, for average joe, produces 5 megapixel images. The 41 mp ones, 38 actually, are stored simply in the background for post processing.

Look at it this way, my lumia 920 gives me some really nice shots, but i cant really think of using it in a situation where the camera needs to zoom in. It gives me an 8 mp image. The 1020 reduces the need for a dedicated camera, simply based upon the user's need to zoom, by allowing you to work around zoom through their large resolution image. But it still produces a 5 mp image.

I am sure if carrying around phones with huge zoom machinery at the back was not a problem, even Nokia would have preferred to go the gs4 zoom way, and possibly come out with something even better.

And why doesn't a 4000 dollar camera company not do it. Well, considering they can utilise the better option of optical zoom, they haven't probably thought of using it. But they very well could. Would you really complain if your camera gave you 10x optical zoom and then allowed you another 4x lossless zoom of comparable quality? I wouldn't.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-19-2013 01:32 AM
    since 8.1 for Window Phone will not be here until 2014, I would not want to wait that long if I were you. Verizon's new plans spurred by T-mobile and AT&T changes should make Verizon more favorable for new customers. Us old Verizon users are the least of their worries.

Verizon has better coverage.
    Lumia 928 is free for new customers.
    32GB storage on the phone.
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-19-2013 08:25 AM

You know, I probably am going to go with the 928. I'm waiting to find out exactly what sort of a discount I can get through my employer for Verizon. $$ is going to be a big factor in my decision.
    I'm guessing big-name DSLR manufacturers haven't yet because of inertia. And that they will follow suit soon, if the 1020 is a hit, because of isomorphism. Those are just fancy words to mean that they haven't yet because it's easier not to and no one has pushed them too, and they will follow suit once other companies do (because they have to). Most corporations do as much as possible to innovate because innovating is risky and expensive.

I know most of you seem to think I should wait it out and... well I agree to some extent. There's always going to be something better in the horizon. I know I won't be disappointed with WP8. Inconvenienced at times, maybe, but not disappointed. The L928 is a good enough upgrade to hold me for 2 years I think, and it's free. Verizon should cure my disgruntlement with Sprint's lack of data and voice coverage.
    I don't think you should wait (also note that the majority of responses in your poll say not to wait: 56% as of now say to get either a Lumia 928 or 925 right now). Both the 928 and 925 are fantastic phones, and both of them just came out within the past few months, meaning that nothing new will be coming to either carrier in the next few months, so you'll likely be waiting a long time when you could have an already amazing phone. If you play the waiting game in the tech industry, well, you'll be waiting forever because something is always coming down the road. That said, what's the point of waiting for a phone with GDR3 or 8.1/Blue when Microsoft already announced that current Windows Phone 8 devices will get free upgrades to GDR3 and 8.1/Blue? A phone with slightly higher specs? The 928 and 925 already run smooth as butter on their current specs, so other than a minor bump in screen resolution (and the 928's and 925's screen resolutions already look oh so pretty), you'll be getting the bulk of the GDR3 and 8.1/Blue benefits, for free, when the time comes.

Given how good the 925's and 928's cameras are (it's not just the hardware, either, Nokia has fantastic software for those cameras too), given how cheap they both are--especially the 928 right now at free for 32GB is, unquestionably, the best deal in the entire U.S. cell-phone industry right now--waiting would be silly. You will not find a better value than the 928--again, for any phone (iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone). It's a fantastic phone; every one of my friends who have seen it have been impressed with it. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the Windows Phone family. I switched over from Android in May (to the 928) and have been very pleased with how well Windows Phone performs--I'll never go back to Android (way too sluggish). All right, time to go play me some Halo: Spartan Assault. Boom.
    Last edited by coip; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-19-2013 09:32 AM
    I would suggest waiting; there are some fairly basic things you may need that are not available with WP8 right now. http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...s-succeed.html is a good place to start.

What do you do on your phone that's absolutely indispensable? Then check if these are possible with WP. Then verify that your favourite apps are available. I went through this process, used a Lumia 920 dev edition for 2 weeks, and went back to my N4. Waiting for MS to get off their rear ends and bring WP up to date with the things I need.
    If you take the wait option, you will never get a new phone. There is always rumors of something new. The only exception here is if the newest and greatest has a specific release date and it's only a few days, week or so away. Mind you, specific release dates and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

More to the point, either of these phones will be getting 8.1 plus other updates for at least the next 2 years. I have the 928 for two main reasons. The price was right and the Verizon coverage is the best for me here in the Phoenix area. Doesn't make much sense to have a new toy if the local signal isn't capable of supporting it. Go with 928, Verizon. You won't be disappointed.
    08-19-2013 10:21 AM
    And why doesn't a 4000 dollar camera company not do it. Well, considering they can utilise the better option of optical zoom, they haven't probably thought of using it. But they very well could. Would you really complain if your camera gave you 10x optical zoom and then allowed you another 4x lossless zoom of comparable quality? I wouldn't.
    That's exactly my point. Yes, DSLR cameras have optical zoom and wouldn't benefit all that much from optical. But, it's not expensive for companies to manufacture chips with higher pixel counts and if there's any benefit to it why not do it? Particularly when the biggest benefit is on the marketing front... Except for most DSLR customers are better informed in the realm of photography and don't fall prey to these items so easily, I would guess.

As for Nokia being clear on this, I don't recall seeing any L1020 commercials where the 41MP stamp was backed by a "*: phone actually produces 5MP images in most circumstances." Again, it is a marketing tactic. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it is a bit of a gimmick.

I'm guessing big-name DSLR manufacturers haven't yet because of inertia. And that they will follow suit soon, if the 1020 is a hit, because of isomorphism. Those are just fancy words to mean that they haven't yet because it's easier not to and no one has pushed them too, and they will follow suit once other companies do (because they have to). Most corporations do as much as possible to innovate because innovating is risky and expensive.
    In the realm of things, adding a higher MP count to a sensor isn't all that expensive, nor all that innovative. Ultimately, post processing and digital enhancements are inferior to optical advantages, which is why DSLR cameras are best at what they do. My whole point all along was to say that the 41MP count could have been cut down to invest in other improvements to the camera, which as far as I can see would've been more beneficial. How much zoom does the 41MP image truly offer over the already existing 12 million pixel images other users take? Or are we forgetting that a picture, taken from a phone, blown up to the fabled 1080p HD of a, let's say, 45" TV only needs roughly around 2.1MP so as not to be stretched? What exactly are users putting their pictures in that needs such a high pixel count?

I guess, let's just agree to disagree .

I don't think you should wait (also note that the majority of responses in your poll say not to wait: 56% as of now say to get either a Lumia 928 or 925 right now). Both the 928 and 925 are fantastic phones, and both of them just came out within the past few months, meaning that nothing new will be coming to either carrier in the next few months, so you'll likely be waiting a long time when you could have an already amazing phone. If you play the waiting game in the tech industry, well, you'll be waiting forever because something is always coming down the road. That said, what's the point of waiting for a phone with GDR3 or 8.1/Blue when Microsoft already announced that current Windows Phone 8 devices will get free upgrades to GDR3 and 8.1/Blue? A phone with slightly higher specs? The 928 and 925 already run smooth as butter on their current specs, so other than a minor bump in screen resolution (and the 928's and 925's screen resolutions already look oh so pretty), you'll be getting the bulk of the GDR3 and 8.1/Blue benefits, for free, when the time comes.

Given how good the 925's and 928's cameras are (it's not just the hardware, either, Nokia has fantastic software for those cameras too), given how cheap they both are--especially the 928 right now at free for 32GB is, unquestionably, the best deal in the entire U.S. cell-phone industry right now--waiting would be silly. You will not find a better value than the 928--again, for any phone (iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone). It's a fantastic phone; every one of my friends who have seen it have been impressed with it. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the Windows Phone family. I switched over from Android in May (to the 928) and have been very pleased with how well Windows Phone performs--I'll never go back to Android (way too sluggish). All right, time to go play me some Halo: Spartan Assault. Boom.
    Very fair points, there. Thank you, and everyone else for all the insightful input.

I have indeed opted to go with the 928 and Verizon. Verizon's higher plan cost will be offset when my girlfriend joins my account, thanks to their shared data plans. With that in mind, I'd much rather have the reliability that I'm seeking in leaving Sprint rather than being stuck in the same spot again simply for the sake of switching phones.

My only regret is that the store didn't have a 928 in stock so I am now quite sad over the fact that I can't sleep the next 48 hours away 'till my phone gets here. Like a kid days before Christmas.
    rohitsingh and coip like this.
    08-19-2013 11:10 PM

In the realm of things, adding a higher MP count to a sensor isn't all that expensive, nor all that innovative. Ultimately, post processing and digital enhancements are inferior to optical advantages, which is why DSLR cameras are best at what they do. My whole point all along was to say that the 41MP count could have been cut down to invest in other improvements to the camera, which as far as I can see would've been more beneficial. How much zoom does the 41MP image truly offer over the already existing 12 million pixel images other users take? Or are we forgetting that a picture, taken from a phone, blown up to the fabled 1080p HD of a, let's say, 45" TV only needs roughly around 2.1MP so as not to be stretched? What exactly are users putting their pictures in that needs such a high pixel count?

I guess, let's just agree to disagree . .
    No need to agree to disagree: I agree with you on your general point. I've never considered 'higher specs' to be innovative. For instance, that's why I prefer the Xbox One to the PS4. Whereas Microsoft is trying to innovate with the Kinect 2 on Xbox One, pushing the industry into new territory, Sony is content on simply making a PS3.5. Meh.

That said, Nokia is doing some innovative things with their cameras, particularly the 1020's 41MP beast. Check out some of the photos and videos they've posted on their Facebook page. That zoom on the 1020 is really impressive for a camera phone, and most of it is the software behind it. The 41MP is, as you suspected, more of a gimmick because Nokia knows that, in the tech industry, most people foolishly focus too much on specs rather than performance (this is why there are a bunch of Android fanboys running around the Internet regurgitating things like "rawr, quad-core processing!" without realizing that they are overpaying for bloated specs that are necessary only because the OS itself is poorly coded. Without that quad-core, the already sluggish Android would be inoperable (as it is on mid- to low-range Android phones). Meanwhile, Windows Phones run twice as fast on half the hardware. We get cheaper phones that are smoother, but most people don't get that: they see 'quad-core' and get an unjustified hard-on.

Good choice on the 928. You'll love it. I think it's the best phone on the market as far as value. A hell of a deal, it is. You're friends will be jealous. Cheers.

Very fair points, there. Thank you, and everyone else for all the insightful input.

I have indeed opted to go with the 928 and Verizon. Verizon's higher plan cost will be offset when my girlfriend joins my account, thanks to their shared data plans. With that in mind, I'd much rather have the reliability that I'm seeking in leaving Sprint rather than being stuck in the same spot again simply for the sake of switching phones.

My only regret is that the store didn't have a 928 in stock so I am now quite sad over the fact that I can't sleep the next 48 hours away 'till my phone gets here. Like a kid days before Christmas.
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-20-2013 02:34 AM
    Please read the GSMarena interview with Damian Dinning. I think it explains very well why things have been done the way they have with pureview technology:
    Nokia 808 PureView in focus: Interview with D. Dinning - GSMArena.com
    (1020 camera is basically the same as in 808 added with OIS.)
    Last edited by Pete fin; 08-20-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    08-20-2013 05:22 AM
    If Going to AT&T isn't a problem. Wait it out, until the lumia 820 or Nokia Bandit release. Which should be between September to November. If AT&T isn't a option, Then get the Lumia 928.
    08-20-2013 05:54 AM
    Enjoy your Nokia Lumia 928! Let us know how your experience turns out!
    08-20-2013 06:22 AM
    Switched from Android to Lumia 928 bout a month ago.I would hold off; too many basic issues need fixing on WP8. Yesterday I found my skydrive app had stopped auto uploading my photos to skydrive on August 10th. Tried manual upload, appears to go through save none of the photos I just uploaded appear in my Skydrive following manual upload . Checked storage on both skydrive and my phone, more than enough space. Cant do a factory reset without chancing losing photos I couldn't save. Update issues. MS servers upload every 1/2 hr or so. Depending on when servers last updated impossible to accurately know exactly how much battery you have left at that moment (unless you do a soft reset, equivalent of taking battery out on android) Twice phone told me I had 30+% left when a soft reset showed I only had 20%; not very useful when using a nav app on highway. And those issues are just highlights. Sending texts people don't receive, awesome music audio turns into blown speakers sound when listening to any song with a lot of bass. Battery life is an issue on this phone although it does get better(bout 30% better on my phone) with successive charges(11% drainage rate in 19 minutes using nav app when I first got phone). Finally despite all the 5 star reviews so many of windows store apps promote most of the ones I downloaded from windows are not ready, buggy . My 928 takes awesome low light photos though.
    08-20-2013 07:01 AM
    Switched from Android to Lumia 928 bout a month ago.I would hold off; too many basic issues need fixing on WP8. Yesterday I found my skydrive app had stopped auto uploading my photos to skydrive on August 10th. Tried manual upload, appears to go through save none of the photos I just uploaded appear in my Skydrive following manual upload . Checked storage on both skydrive and my phone, more than enough space. Cant do a factory reset without chancing losing photos I couldn't save. Update issues. MS servers upload every 1/2 hr or so. Depending on when servers last updated impossible to accurately know exactly how much battery you have left at that moment (unless you do a soft reset, equivalent of taking battery out on android) Twice phone told me I had 30+% left when a soft reset showed I only had 20%; not very useful when using a nav app on highway. And those issues are just highlights. Sending texts people don't receive, awesome music audio turns into blown speakers sound when listening to any song with a lot of bass. Battery life is an issue on this phone although it does get better(bout 30% better on my phone) with successive charges(11% drainage rate in 19 minutes using nav app when I first got phone). Finally despite all the 5 star reviews so many of windows store apps promote most of the ones I downloaded from windows are not ready, buggy . My 928 takes awesome low light photos though.
    I don't have ANY of these issues and neither do several of my friends that have moved over from Android. Only 1 has the 928 on Verizon.

I wouldn't use nav on any phone w/out a car charger. It's a known drain.
    I find a lot of the apps on Windows Phone to be superior in quality & aesthetics.

The texting issues don't sound like a hardware issue. I'd be in the phone with Verizon. Also, get your pics off your phone via USB to the computer if you need to do a hard reset.

For the OP, your experience will likely be a variant of one our experiences. Go pick up and play with the device before you make up your mind. I'm very happy and the former Android users in my circle are all happy, but obviously some aren't.
    08-20-2013 03:51 PM
    I suggest give it a test drive. Buy the 521, get a T-Mo prepaid contract (or do an AT&T prepaid and get the 520 for cheaper), buy you a case to keep it in great condition, and then decide from there. If the 521/520 meets your needs, sign a contract and then resale the prepaid phone
    08-20-2013 04:46 PM
    For folks migrating from Android, stick to windows forums for support. This on and the microsoft community one, try this one first .Do not waste your time with VZ as I did with "VZ windows tech support", useless time waster ; same applies if you walk in a VZ store. You may as well be speaking Chinese when you say word windows. They just stare at you, after telling you they don't know anything bout windows then pitch you an android or iPhone.
    kriz225 likes this.
    08-21-2013 11:05 AM
55 123