Android Loyalist - Swapping Sides

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone!

My name is Cristian, I'm from Wisconsin (US). I'm 21 and work doing technical support for security equipment (video surveillance and access control). I've been a loyal Android customer since the HTC Hero hit the shelves about 4 years ago. As a techie, I've thoroughly enjoyed rooting my phones and tinkering with every last detail. However, as of late I find that I do a lot less of playing with my phone and am much more productivity-oriented when I do need to use it.

Because of this, now that my rooted HTC Evo 3D is showing its age - and incidentally has a cracked screen a month out of warranty - I'm looking very seriously at getting a Windows phone. I'm also going to be switching carriers from Sprint, most likely to either Verizon or T-Mobile. I'm strongly considering getting either the Nokia Lumia 928 or the Nokia Lumia 925, depending on which carrier I wind up with.

My biggest concern right now is which of these two carriers I should go with, and although coverage and cost are my bigger concerns I am a bit torn between the 928 and 925. As if that weren't enough, I'm also struggling with whether to upgrade at all at this time considering that I could possibly keep my phone and Sprint (I get a highly discounted rate with them) for a few more months to wait and see what Nokia or HTC do once WP 8.1 hits the ground... :straight:

I hope to be able to find some good information and discussions here in the WPCentral forums so that I can make a more informed decision on my next phone purchase. Either way, I'm already won over by Microsoft's guile :love:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest waiting; there are some fairly basic things you may need that are not available with WP8 right now. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210477-official-what-wp-needs-succeed.html is a good place to start.

What do you do on your phone that's absolutely indispensable? Then check if these are possible with WP. Then verify that your favourite apps are available. I went through this process, used a Lumia 920 dev edition for 2 weeks, and went back to my N4. Waiting for MS to get off their rear ends and bring WP up to date with the things I need.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
@ag1986: I appreciate the advise. I have already looked into that and have decided that WP8 as an OS is more than sufficient for my needs. I don't do much social networking and, as I said, find myself using apps less and less. What I absolutely need is a fast and efficient phone that is reliable for making calls, texting, navigation and some web surfing. Currently my rooted Evo 3D from Sprint fails on almost all accounts... :unhappy:

@FinancialIP: Yeah... that's exactly my dilemma :unhappy:. T-Mobile's coverage maps look like someone sneezed on a map of the US, but I like the lighter aluminum body of the L925 and their cheaper rates with unlimited data (throttling and all). On the other hand, Verizon's coverage and internet speeds are legendary and I like the 928's built-in wireless charging and superior flash, but their prices are insane and they have limited data.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
@Krizz
The 928 is a nice looking phone but just a little too big for my taste, I have an 822. Nowadays the way to go with Verizon is with their share everything plans.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the size of the 928 is perfect. It's a fast phone with a beautiful screen. Perfect for work email (Exchange Server) and personal email. I have one of Verizon's family plans and think its not too pricey for a 4 phone family.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I say wait, GDR3, blue, etc. will hopefully bring some much needed improvements to the platform.

If you can't hold it any longer, I'd say go with TMobile, I have Verizon and I can't stand them.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with ag1986. You can't play the waiting game with cell phones. If you do, you will always be waiting, because there is always "the next phone" will do this and have that, then when it comes out, the rumors of "the next phone" and so on. It is best to look at what carrier provides the best coverage of your area, then go with a phone from that carrier. Never pick a phone because it looks "cool". No matter how "cool" it looks, if it doesn't function as a phone, you won't be happy. I have an 822 (retired) and now the 928 I'm currently using. I have been pleased with both of them.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is AT&T coverage bad in your area?

AT&T's LTE speeds on average are better than Verizon's right now.

In a choice between Verizon or T-Mobile, I'd choose Verizon.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't wait or you'll be waiting forever, if WP8 is sufficient for your needs get in now with Nokia. Also, of course the evo 3d fails on those accounts. You mentioned reliability and that's a word you won't find in the android dictionary.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with ag1986. You can't play the waiting game with cell phones. If you do, you will always be waiting, because there is always "the next phone" will do this and have that, then when it comes out, the rumors of "the next phone" and so on. It is best to look at what carrier provides the best coverage of your area, then go with a phone from that carrier. Never pick a phone because it looks "cool". No matter how "cool" it looks, if it doesn't function as a phone, you won't be happy. I have an 822 (retired) and now the 928 I'm currently using. I have been pleased with both of them.

Certainly, and I was not suggesting an indefinite wait. Just till 8.1 - I see that I did not make this clear in my first post, sorry.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm with 11B1P. If you want to check out WP8, look at coverage of each carrier in your area, and try out a phone. I have the 1020 and it does everything I need, and AT&T coverage is great where I'm at. I would never look at T-Mobile here, though, because they really suck here. If you don't like WP right now, and want to wait for 8.1/Blue, then that's fine, but don't wait forever. And also realize that with the way WP8's updates have been going, expect all current WP8 devices to get 8.1, which means that no matter what you get now should get all the features that the next set of phones will have. ;)

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Count me among those in this thread who have cautioned against waiting (or waiting too long).

As for your choice of which phone/carrier, I suggest you continue using the same reasoning that is bringing you to WP in the first place; namely, looking to see what works with your needs and wants. Which is more important to you: keeping some money in your pocket, or having diminished performance? Personally, I am willing to pay a bit extra to ensure that I'm not experiencing regular frustrations, because you can always cut expenses elsewhere, but you can't upgrade your network's performance.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I love my WP8 L920, but if you need a phone now just buy a L520 ($99) and wait out the blue devices. My 2 cents

Last edited:

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
My personal opinion with your situation would be to go with Verizon (also like you from Wisconsin). While I will acknowledge that they have higher costs (push limits occasionally) as a carrier typically, their coverage has never failed me. T-Mobile while cheaper, will struggle with giving you full coverage depending on where you go. I have had Verizon for about six years and their coverage has always been extremely dependable; maybe not the fastest compared to AT&T; but the most dependable while still having solid speeds. Additionally the Nokia Lumia 928 at Verizon is free on contract (so if you start a new contract with them you're set); Being a high-end phone you can't really go wrong with "free". Best of luck in your decision, everyone has different preferences and things that work for them. I think either service or phone will do you well when compared to Sprint, I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback regarding them. Concerning playing the waiting game, my philosophy is that you can never win that game, because there is always something new coming out. (Especially with the 928 free on contract) Make a decision and cherish and enjoy what you have.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
. Concerning playing the waiting game, my philosophy is that you can never win that game, because there is always something new coming out. (.

while I understand this point and usually agree, the 928 is essentially the 920 very slightly updated...so its almost a year old device. I say in his situation to wait out the scenario with WP8.1 and Blue, esp if there's a major HW update.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I say get a cheap Lumia 520 or 521 to test out WP as your main device. Mind you, you don't need to setup any service for the phone, just use it on WiFi.

Get to know the OS on a daily-use level to see of WP OS and apps work for you before completely investing.

That's what I'm doing! :D
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind, you have 14 days to use the phone and try it out. If it doesn't work for you, return it before the 14 day window closes.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow you guys have been very responsive and thoughtful! I greatly appreciate it. :amaze:

I would just like to clarify something, in regards to the "waiting game." I am very familiar with the idea that waiting for the newest, latest technology before investing is a futile effort. This pretty much true across the board with all technology. My only issue is that like chezm pointed out, the hardware in the 928 (while still an upgrade for me) is outdated by comparison. The 1.5GHz S4 Snapdragon CPU on the current Nokia flagship phones is about a year old... My thought was that Nokia & HTC will probably be holding out on releasing sweet new high-end hardware until 8.1 or at least GDR3 is released to add support for better hardware (1080p screens and such).

I am going to be switching carriers because I'm fed up with Sprint (dropped calls, no 4G, etc. etc.) so I might as well take advantage of their offers and get a high-end phone for free rather than invest on a mid-end phone just to try WP8. I've done enough research to know that I won't be unhappy with the OS.

I'm definitely leaning towards Verizon and the L928... but I appreciate all the advise!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel