Android Loyalist - Swapping Sides

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest waiting; there are some fairly basic things you may need that are not available with WP8 right now. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/210477-official-what-wp-needs-succeed.html is a good place to start.

What do you do on your phone that's absolutely indispensable? Then check if these are possible with WP. Then verify that your favourite apps are available. I went through this process, used a Lumia 920 dev edition for 2 weeks, and went back to my N4. Waiting for MS to get off their rear ends and bring WP up to date with the things I need.

If you take the wait option, you will never get a new phone. There is always rumors of something new. The only exception here is if the newest and greatest has a specific release date and it's only a few days, week or so away. Mind you, specific release dates and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

More to the point, either of these phones will be getting 8.1 plus other updates for at least the next 2 years. I have the 928 for two main reasons. The price was right and the Verizon coverage is the best for me here in the Phoenix area. Doesn't make much sense to have a new toy if the local signal isn't capable of supporting it. Go with 928, Verizon. You won't be disappointed.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
And why doesn't a 4000 dollar camera company not do it. Well, considering they can utilise the better option of optical zoom, they haven't probably thought of using it. But they very well could. Would you really complain if your camera gave you 10x optical zoom and then allowed you another 4x lossless zoom of comparable quality? I wouldn't.

That's exactly my point. Yes, DSLR cameras have optical zoom and wouldn't benefit all that much from optical. But, it's not expensive for companies to manufacture chips with higher pixel counts and if there's any benefit to it why not do it? Particularly when the biggest benefit is on the marketing front... Except for most DSLR customers are better informed in the realm of photography and don't fall prey to these items so easily, I would guess.

As for Nokia being clear on this, I don't recall seeing any L1020 commercials where the 41MP stamp was backed by a "*: phone actually produces 5MP images in most circumstances." Again, it is a marketing tactic. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it is a bit of a gimmick.

I'm guessing big-name DSLR manufacturers haven't yet because of inertia. And that they will follow suit soon, if the 1020 is a hit, because of isomorphism. Those are just fancy words to mean that they haven't yet because it's easier not to and no one has pushed them too, and they will follow suit once other companies do (because they have to). Most corporations do as much as possible to innovate because innovating is risky and expensive.

In the realm of things, adding a higher MP count to a sensor isn't all that expensive, nor all that innovative. Ultimately, post processing and digital enhancements are inferior to optical advantages, which is why DSLR cameras are best at what they do. My whole point all along was to say that the 41MP count could have been cut down to invest in other improvements to the camera, which as far as I can see would've been more beneficial. How much zoom does the 41MP image truly offer over the already existing 12 million pixel images other users take? Or are we forgetting that a picture, taken from a phone, blown up to the fabled 1080p HD of a, let's say, 45" TV only needs roughly around 2.1MP so as not to be stretched? What exactly are users putting their pictures in that needs such a high pixel count?

I guess, let's just agree to disagree :smile:.

I don't think you should wait (also note that the majority of responses in your poll say not to wait: 56% as of now say to get either a Lumia 928 or 925 right now). Both the 928 and 925 are fantastic phones, and both of them just came out within the past few months, meaning that nothing new will be coming to either carrier in the next few months, so you'll likely be waiting a long time when you could have an already amazing phone. If you play the waiting game in the tech industry, well, you'll be waiting forever because something is always coming down the road. That said, what's the point of waiting for a phone with GDR3 or 8.1/Blue when Microsoft already announced that current Windows Phone 8 devices will get free upgrades to GDR3 and 8.1/Blue? A phone with slightly higher specs? The 928 and 925 already run smooth as butter on their current specs, so other than a minor bump in screen resolution (and the 928's and 925's screen resolutions already look oh so pretty), you'll be getting the bulk of the GDR3 and 8.1/Blue benefits, for free, when the time comes.

Given how good the 925's and 928's cameras are (it's not just the hardware, either, Nokia has fantastic software for those cameras too), given how cheap they both are--especially the 928 right now at free for 32GB is, unquestionably, the best deal in the entire U.S. cell-phone industry right now--waiting would be silly. You will not find a better value than the 928--again, for any phone (iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone). It's a fantastic phone; every one of my friends who have seen it have been impressed with it. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the Windows Phone family. I switched over from Android in May (to the 928) and have been very pleased with how well Windows Phone performs--I'll never go back to Android (way too sluggish). All right, time to go play me some Halo: Spartan Assault. Boom.

Very fair points, there. Thank you, and everyone else for all the insightful input.

I have indeed opted to go with the 928 and Verizon. Verizon's higher plan cost will be offset when my girlfriend joins my account, thanks to their shared data plans. With that in mind, I'd much rather have the reliability that I'm seeking in leaving Sprint rather than being stuck in the same spot again simply for the sake of switching phones.

My only regret is that the store didn't have a 928 in stock so I am now quite sad over the fact that I can't sleep the next 48 hours away 'till my phone gets here. Like a kid days before Christmas.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
In the realm of things, adding a higher MP count to a sensor isn't all that expensive, nor all that innovative. Ultimately, post processing and digital enhancements are inferior to optical advantages, which is why DSLR cameras are best at what they do. My whole point all along was to say that the 41MP count could have been cut down to invest in other improvements to the camera, which as far as I can see would've been more beneficial. How much zoom does the 41MP image truly offer over the already existing 12 million pixel images other users take? Or are we forgetting that a picture, taken from a phone, blown up to the fabled 1080p HD of a, let's say, 45" TV only needs roughly around 2.1MP so as not to be stretched? What exactly are users putting their pictures in that needs such a high pixel count?

I guess, let's just agree to disagree :smile:. .

No need to agree to disagree: I agree with you on your general point. I've never considered 'higher specs' to be innovative. For instance, that's why I prefer the Xbox One to the PS4. Whereas Microsoft is trying to innovate with the Kinect 2 on Xbox One, pushing the industry into new territory, Sony is content on simply making a PS3.5. Meh.

That said, Nokia is doing some innovative things with their cameras, particularly the 1020's 41MP beast. Check out some of the photos and videos they've posted on their Facebook page. That zoom on the 1020 is really impressive for a camera phone, and most of it is the software behind it. The 41MP is, as you suspected, more of a gimmick because Nokia knows that, in the tech industry, most people foolishly focus too much on specs rather than performance (this is why there are a bunch of Android fanboys running around the Internet regurgitating things like "rawr, quad-core processing!" without realizing that they are overpaying for bloated specs that are necessary only because the OS itself is poorly coded. Without that quad-core, the already sluggish Android would be inoperable (as it is on mid- to low-range Android phones). Meanwhile, Windows Phones run twice as fast on half the hardware. We get cheaper phones that are smoother, but most people don't get that: they see 'quad-core' and get an unjustified hard-on.

Good choice on the 928. You'll love it. I think it's the best phone on the market as far as value. A hell of a deal, it is. You're friends will be jealous. Cheers.
Very fair points, there. Thank you, and everyone else for all the insightful input.

I have indeed opted to go with the 928 and Verizon. Verizon's higher plan cost will be offset when my girlfriend joins my account, thanks to their shared data plans. With that in mind, I'd much rather have the reliability that I'm seeking in leaving Sprint rather than being stuck in the same spot again simply for the sake of switching phones.

My only regret is that the store didn't have a 928 in stock so I am now quite sad over the fact that I can't sleep the next 48 hours away 'till my phone gets here. Like a kid days before Christmas.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If Going to AT&T isn't a problem. Wait it out, until the lumia 820 or Nokia Bandit release. Which should be between September to November. If AT&T isn't a option, Then get the Lumia 928.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Switched from Android to Lumia 928 bout a month ago.I would hold off; too many basic issues need fixing on WP8. Yesterday I found my skydrive app had stopped auto uploading my photos to skydrive on August 10th. Tried manual upload, appears to go through save none of the photos I just uploaded appear in my Skydrive following manual upload . Checked storage on both skydrive and my phone, more than enough space. Cant do a factory reset without chancing losing photos I couldn't save. Update issues. MS servers upload every 1/2 hr or so. Depending on when servers last updated impossible to accurately know exactly how much battery you have left at that moment (unless you do a soft reset, equivalent of taking battery out on android) Twice phone told me I had 30+% left when a soft reset showed I only had 20%; not very useful when using a nav app on highway. And those issues are just highlights. Sending texts people don't receive, awesome music audio turns into blown speakers sound when listening to any song with a lot of bass. Battery life is an issue on this phone although it does get better(bout 30% better on my phone) with successive charges(11% drainage rate in 19 minutes using nav app when I first got phone). Finally despite all the 5 star reviews so many of windows store apps promote most of the ones I downloaded from windows are not ready, buggy . My 928 takes awesome low light photos though.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Switched from Android to Lumia 928 bout a month ago.I would hold off; too many basic issues need fixing on WP8. Yesterday I found my skydrive app had stopped auto uploading my photos to skydrive on August 10th. Tried manual upload, appears to go through save none of the photos I just uploaded appear in my Skydrive following manual upload . Checked storage on both skydrive and my phone, more than enough space. Cant do a factory reset without chancing losing photos I couldn't save. Update issues. MS servers upload every 1/2 hr or so. Depending on when servers last updated impossible to accurately know exactly how much battery you have left at that moment (unless you do a soft reset, equivalent of taking battery out on android) Twice phone told me I had 30+% left when a soft reset showed I only had 20%; not very useful when using a nav app on highway. And those issues are just highlights. Sending texts people don't receive, awesome music audio turns into blown speakers sound when listening to any song with a lot of bass. Battery life is an issue on this phone although it does get better(bout 30% better on my phone) with successive charges(11% drainage rate in 19 minutes using nav app when I first got phone). Finally despite all the 5 star reviews so many of windows store apps promote most of the ones I downloaded from windows are not ready, buggy . My 928 takes awesome low light photos though.
I don't have ANY of these issues and neither do several of my friends that have moved over from Android. Only 1 has the 928 on Verizon.

I wouldn't use nav on any phone w/out a car charger. It's a known drain.
I find a lot of the apps on Windows Phone to be superior in quality & aesthetics.

The texting issues don't sound like a hardware issue. I'd be in the phone with Verizon. Also, get your pics off your phone via USB to the computer if you need to do a hard reset.

For the OP, your experience will likely be a variant of one our experiences. Go pick up and play with the device before you make up your mind. I'm very happy and the former Android users in my circle are all happy, but obviously some aren't.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I suggest give it a test drive. Buy the 521, get a T-Mo prepaid contract (or do an AT&T prepaid and get the 520 for cheaper), buy you a case to keep it in great condition, and then decide from there. If the 521/520 meets your needs, sign a contract and then resale the prepaid phone

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
For folks migrating from Android, stick to windows forums for support. This on and the microsoft community one, try this one first .Do not waste your time with VZ as I did with "VZ windows tech support", useless time waster ; same applies if you walk in a VZ store. You may as well be speaking Chinese when you say word windows. They just stare at you, after telling you they don't know anything bout windows then pitch you an android or iPhone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Put me in the "wait" catagory, only because it sounds like you prefer Sprint. I like the Samsung ATIV Neo, but you did not list it as a choice, so obviously you see the advantages of Nokia. If you decide to move, I would almost say bite the bullet and go 928 on Verizon. I like T-Mobile, but it is spotty in the "where is my signal" world. That 928 has been raved about as one of the better 92X varients, period. But if you prefer Sprint, this is moot. Wait until fall, and see what is up with the new devices and the new Sprint, which SoftBank will be easing into control of in the next 12 months or so. There should be hints at how it will be run by them.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe you. Im been with VZ long time. yeah they're more expensive etc but they've always had AAA customer service/tech support. They may as well have none for the 928 VZ has an exclusive on. They promoted it as VZ's flagship windows phone in mid May when it came out. My mid august VZ was selling flagship for free. After wasting my time with calls to VZ tech support I went in 2 VZ stores with windows questions Both times they knew nothing about windows both times they tried to sell me an android or iPhone to fix my windows issue . Sounds like VZ was just trying to add subscribers with the Lumia 928 if you ask me; marketing.The 928 does have a high performance speaker with no bass adjustments settings which Nokia confirmed it did not have . Why ?

I don't have ANY of these issues and neither do several of my friends that have moved over from Android. Only 1 has the 928 on Verizon.

I wouldn't use nav on any phone w/out a car charger. It's a known drain.
I find a lot of the apps on Windows Phone to be superior in quality & aesthetics.

The texting issues don't sound like a hardware issue. I'd be in the phone with Verizon. Also, get your pics off your phone via USB to the computer if you need to do a hard reset.

For the OP, your experience will likely be a variant of one our experiences. Go pick up and play with the device before you make up your mind. I'm very happy and the former Android users in my circle are all happy, but obviously some aren't.

VAUROS

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Based on the history of new, hot phone releases, and Nokia's carrier preference, I would definitely go with AT&T for carrier and pick up either a Lumia 920 or a 1020. If you wait until the next gen GDR3 phones, which could release later this year or early next year, then you will be missing out on an amazing mobile experience. I, too, was going to wait it out, but I decide that the 1020 was too good to pass up for 4-6 months. We may not see a camera this good on another WP8 device for a long time. This device is like having a $4000-500 phone and a $400-500 camera all in one. Also, unless you feel you must have a screen larger than 4.5" and resolution higher than 1024x768 (720p) then waiting for GDR3-enabled phones is pointless. All phones will get the update and similar to Android, the only difference between phones will be the screen size and the resolution. I will probably wait until this time next year to sell my Lumia 1020 to upgrade to a 1080p Windows Phone. I'm sure Nokia will release a 1080p, 5" successor to the 1020 at some point next year, but definitely not this year since they don't want to thwart the sales of the 1020.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Good advice. I would not touch any Lumia product through VZ unless you must.In mid May VZ introduced its flagship windows 928 device for $100 with 2 yr agreement. "Flagship" is now going for free with 2yr .VZ even offered me to waive their 14 day return policy provided I pick up an android/Iphone, those models being pushed hard to make room for the new iPhones/Samsungs coming out in Sept. VZ's Flagship was all marketing I'm afraid.(worked too, windows just passed blackberry)

Based on the history of new, hot phone releases, and Nokia's carrier preference, I would definitely go with AT&T for carrier and pick up either a Lumia 920 or a 1020. If you wait until the next gen GDR3 phones, which could release later this year or early next year, then you will be missing out on an amazing mobile experience. I, too, was going to wait it out, but I decide that the 1020 was too good to pass up for 4-6 months. We may not see a camera this good on another WP8 device for a long time. This device is like having a $4000-500 phone and a $400-500 camera all in one. Also, unless you feel you must have a screen larger than 4.5" and resolution higher than 1024x768 (720p) then waiting for GDR3-enabled phones is pointless. All phones will get the update and similar to Android, the only difference between phones will be the screen size and the resolution. I will probably wait until this time next year to sell my Lumia 1020 to upgrade to a 1080p Windows Phone. I'm sure Nokia will release a 1080p, 5" successor to the 1020 at some point next year, but definitely not this year since they don't want to thwart the sales of the 1020.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I must say I do not regret this decision one bit. So far I am loving the 928 and Verizon's service. He thing is so snippy it makes my old Evo 3D feel like it's got a ball and chain to lug around!

Thanks again to everyone for the warm reception and all the advice. Another happy WP8 consumer joins the fold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6