From Apples and Droids to Window Panes... (The Switch!)

VAUROS

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I just recently switched to Windows Phone 8 and my phone of choice is the Lumia 1020. Before I get into my review of Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 1020, allow me to give you some history surrounding my previous mobile device adventures. I have had EVERY device out there, across EVERY platform, period. I'm coming from iPhone/iOS, Android and its many devices/skins, Blackberry, and even WebOS (R.I.P). All of those platforms have their unique offerings and niche features; some good, some not so good. I will admit that I use to be an Apple ****** for a long time and it wasn't until after the iPhone 5 that I decided to stop eating fruit and play with droid bots. I simply got tired of Apple's 'marginal upgrades for the same price strategy' and their walled garden ecosystem. Enough is enough! Android was a totally refreshing experience with its openness, customization options, and plethora of device options. You can pretty much have it like Burger King (The way you want). Unfortunately, there are pros and cons to that approach. With too much openness comes a lot of hardware and software fragmentation. This leads to different UI skins, slow updates, obsolete hardware within just a few months, support issues, etc. Still, Android offers consumers the best bang for the buck when it comes to 'choice'. Google's ecosystem is pretty solid with Gmail, Drive, Chrome, etc.

But, I felt I wanted more ecosystem; more integration and unification across my devices.

After researching Windows Phone 8 and devices for several months, I finally decided it was time to take that leap. I am an IT professional and I use Windows 8 and Windows 2012 in my VMware environment and I am a BIG Xbox 360 gamer. I will be getting Xbox One this fall and I plan to purchase a Surface Pro tablet by end of year. So, I asked myself, "Wouldn't it be nice to have the same look, feel, experience, integration, etc, across all of those systems?". Hell yea! I'm two days in with Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 1020 and I can't get enough. The OS is so fluid, fast, and gorgeous. The statements about WP8 not needing a quad-core processor or a lot of RAM are 100% accurate. Efficiency is the name of the game here with WP8. MS really nailed how a FULL mobile OS should function on a mobile device (iOS is not FULL OS; just a glorified and very pretty App launcher). Everything is integrated into the OS just like it is in the desktop version of Windows. Live tiles is the best invention yet on a mobile device. All of your important information, updates and notifications are right there for you to see. Nokia's hardware really brings out the inherent beauty of WP8, especially when you have an AMOLED screen. Previously, I was anti-AMOLED and would only purchase devices with IPS/PLS screens. However, with WP8, AMOLED is definitely the better choice with its deep blacks and great color saturation.

The Lumia 1020's camera is AMAZING! Period! I'm not a big photo buff and definitely a novice when it comes to advanced features like ISO and white balance. I leave my settings on auto when I take my pictures and the result is spectacular every time. I feel like I would never have a need to purchase a DSLR or a standalone P&S as long as I have the Lumia 1020. I plan on using it, when paired with the camera grip and a tripod, to take family pictures instead of getting professional pics done. I'm confident that my family will be pleased with the resulting picture quality. I hope Nokia continues to make the best hardware for WP8, as they would have a customer for life. I really hope this review helps anyone considering making the switch from iOS or Android to WP8. I understand that some people have gone all Apple as far as their ecosystem (Macbook, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, etc) and it probably wouldn't make sense for them to switch. However, for people that truly desire a single, unified, seamless and integrated ecosystem across all of their devices and systems, that is not Apple, Microsoft has just what you are looking for and need.

(Please excuse any typos)

VAUROS

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying every minute of this experience even though there are some quirks here and there. I know that MS is hard at work trying to resolve the issues in the future updates, so I know it is only a matter of time. WP8 is definitely a lot further along then Android was during its first two years of existence. I'm sure the "blue" update will address 95% of what needs to be addressed. Again, a lot better than what Apple and Google did during the first two years of their respective OSes.

VAUROS

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I just had to come back and post about how AMAZING WP8 is and the Lumia 1020. Together, this combination is unmatched and it will be hard to top this super duo. I know having a larger screen with 1080p will be extremely nice for WP8, but I feel like if I can't have Nokia hardware and especially this camera, then anything else won't compare.

We have got to find a way to get more people on the WP8 bandwagon because they are missing out, BIG TIME!

newavengers12

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Welcome....Pretty well explained. I feel the same way. I have a Windows 8 Dell 17.3 inch laptop, Xbox gamer, Lumia 1020 and have not gotten an RT just because I am waiting for a Lumia tablet.... THEN I'll let my iPad go....

Thanks for sharing your experience!

VAUROS

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yea, can't wait to see a Lumia tablet running Windows 8.1. Also, can't wait to see the refreshed Surface Pro with Haswell.

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Yay, welcome! Another switcher! I used Android ages ago, I REALLY dislike it. Went to apple, I still like it, just wanted a change. Now Im on Windows 8 phone. Loving it! Glad to have you here!

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using Tapatalk