Hi - potential switcher back to Microsoft from Apple

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if you considered a dedicated HTPC? I use one with WMC; I recognize that WMC isn't the most popular product and could potentially be discontinued in future versions of Windows, but it works well.

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... Mabey that's not true. But the Netflix part is true. And also the fact that the Xbox seems to need to update almost every time I turn it on(seriously) makes it a mood killer when I'm just trying to watch a movie.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if you considered a dedicated HTPC? I use one with WMC; I recognize that WMC isn't the most popular product and could potentially be discontinued in future versions of Windows, but it works well.
No budget for that! I'm quite happy to rent/stream content ad hoc; I can't be bothered with ripping/torrenting etc. and I don't have an existing library to worry about.

Anyone tethered a Surface RT to a 920 via internet sharing (or have any comments on the 920's internet sharing capabilities), seeing as the RT has no 3G built in?

Last edited by a moderator:

separry51

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm in a very similar situation (in fact, when I read the OP, my wife wondered if I had posted it!). I have used Apple for 10 years (even have the symbol on my car), but I find myself bored with their stuff. It doesn't all "Just Work" now as it used to, and the iPhones announced today are nothing more than a refresh of the previous model. I find myself enjoying my Lumia 925 more than just about any phone I've used (and I've used a lot), and I really like what Microsoft has done with Windows 8. So, I am moving my Apple centric stuff over to WP and Windows. The only thing I would say is that I use Amazon for movies and TV I want to purchase, just so I don't run into a future problem of being able to see my media on a specific device (iTunes, for example). Otherwise, I say go for it! I'm very much looking forward to trying the new waters.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any feelings about my preference for the 920 over the 925 on the basis of preferring the photos it produces, the wireless charging and the lower price?

Is it likely to get WP8.1?

Also, I've read that you have one volume setting for everything (i.e. it's not separate for say, music and system alerts, ringtones etc) - is this a) true and b) how much of an annoyance is this?

I've just got the L920 and am very happy with it, but it is heavy mind you. Camera-wise, I don't know you could spot the improvement from the 925's 6th lens. I use the wireless charging and it is easy, but it's another ?40 to buy one pad... I bought my phone SIM-free from Carphone Warehouse for ?350 inc VAT and had a choice of colours, but they don't sell accessories for the 920 so I couldn't benefit from their discount they offer you at the time of purchase.

Apparently, the 920 will get the 8.1 update and because my phone is off contract, I should get it a bit quicker than others as the software won't need approving by the carrier.

Yes, there is a global volume setting, which after a Blackberry is a little frustrating. But, apparently again, coming updates are likely to offer more control.

I am happy with my 920, it syncs well with my laptop but I have to use the Outlook Web App because I only have 2003 versions of Outlook, so Office 365 can't interface with it.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy the switch.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I've just got the L920 and am very happy with it, but it is heavy mind you.
I actually quite like the fact it feels heavy and substantial. I was quite disappointed when I upgraded from an iPhone 4 (substantial) to iPhone 5 (feels like a toy).

Thanks for your other insights too!

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to use the Outlook Web App because I only have 2003 versions of Outlook, so Office 365 can't interface with it.
Do you currently use a Microsoft-hosted mailbox? i.e. an Outlook mailbox?

I'd be interested to know how Outlook.com / Office 365 works compared with my current e-mail provider Gmail; I'm guessing an Outlook.com mailbox/contacts/calendar is going to play nicer with a Windows Phone (and I was thinking of ditching Gmail anyway).

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Do you currently use a Microsoft-hosted mailbox? i.e. an Outlook mailbox?

I'd be interested to know how Outlook.com / Office 365 works compared with my current e-mail provider Gmail; I'm guessing an Outlook.com mailbox/contacts/calendar is going to play nicer with a Windows Phone (and I was thinking of ditching Gmail anyway).

As a business we moved to MS Office 365 this year and everything should be smoother, although I am the last to move over. As far as I understand it, it will be Outlook for email, calendar and contacts, but I'm not there yet, so I'm a little in limbo. As it happens, I am moving from Gmail, which I decided to do as I became increasingly unhappy with the intrusiveness of Google. It's too early to say whether everything will be as smooth as Google. They have everything linked so well - I had a Nexus 4 and it was amazing how integrated it all was/is.

My hope - and the theory is - that WP and Office 365 desktop/laptop will be buttery smooth, but I'm not there yet. I use the Office software on the 920 daily and look forward to the full link up in due course, so it promises to be good. The only thing I'm not a fan of is that I don't find Outlook Web App as intuitive as Gmail, hopefully though, as it's a staging post, the full Outlook will be more to my liking.

None of the large companies play well together, so picking one system seems necessary and the endless spats between Google and MS lose their novelty after a while, especially when you need to buy apps to open/edit simple MS docs which the whole world uses as a matter of course.

I don't mind the heft of the phone either, it feels solid and Nokia make very good phones, so all in all, the move is going well, if at a gentler pace than I anticipated!

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Definitely will play nicer than Google's services for a variety of reasons. The best advice I give anyone who's moving into a Microsoft ecosystem is to go all the way. Same with Apple and / or Google. You'll have a better experience with unified services. I, myself moved from an Apple dominated ecosystem to 100% Microsoft. I owned a MacBook, Mac Mini, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, you name it, I used. Even iTunes Match, etc. Moving across to Microsoft was a solid move and I've not looked back since. There are some annoyances with the current generation of software on both Windows and Windows Phone as others have rightfully pointed out, but these are "hopefully" going to be rectified in future updates. I'd continue to read up on some of our tutorials (especially the 101), we have one for switching from Apple (specifically the iPhone), but I'm finalising some of the articles, so be sure to stay tuned to further coverage on our end of new hardware and software.

But continue what you've started already - ask around for honest opinions and answers :smile:

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Definitely will play nicer than Google's services for a variety of reasons. The best advice I give anyone who's moving into a Microsoft ecosystem is to go all the way. Same with Apple and / or Google. You'll have a better experience with unified services. I, myself moved from an Apple dominated ecosystem to 100% Microsoft. I owned a MacBook, Mac Mini, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, you name it, I used. Even iTunes Match, etc. Moving across to Microsoft was a solid move and I've not looked back since. There are some annoyances with the current generation of software on both Windows and Windows Phone as others have rightfully pointed out, but these are "hopefully" going to be rectified in future updates. I'd continue to read up on some of our tutorials (especially the 101), we have one for switching from Apple (specifically the iPhone), but I'm finalising some of the articles, so be sure to stay tuned to further coverage on our end of new hardware and software.

But continue what you've started already - ask around for honest opinions and answers :smile:
Nice one - I'll go and check out the guides now! Thanks!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Have you covered disabling iMessage prior to switching from an iPhone to a Windows Phone? I know that's an issue that a lot of people have experienced issues with SMS if they did not disable iMessage.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you covered disabling iMessage prior to switching from an iPhone to a Windows Phone? I know that's an issue that a lot of people have experienced issues with SMS if they did not disable iMessage.
I would be doing that anyway as I'll be sticking the iPhone on eBay so it will be completely unlinked from iEverything and factory reset.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral! You seem to have a really good plan there! About the tethering, it works great with my Lumia 800, and I'm almost sure that it will work as good with a L920:grin:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You make us giggle here on WPC... someone moving from Apple to MS always makes us smile more then Google/BlackBerry users switching, for some reason. Of the issues you brought up, here is my take from endless hours cruising forums:

-The L920 is a great device, and the L925 is not really worth that much more in the way of improvements- it is simply a preference thing. I have read very little on either forum to lead me to believe you will miss the 925's camera improvements. The 920 is a dependable shooter and great in low light.

-I would not hesitate at all in buying the 920 or 925 as far as major updates go: I am sure every Nokia WP8 will get 8.1. Neither Nokia or their future owner MS would live down them not getting it.

-No way around this: The XBOX Music is not great right now. The shortcomings are a major reason I am still on WP7. But I also believe it is going to be addressed, and the service is reasonably priced jewel. I love it.

-SkyDrive is amazing. Love it more as I use it.

-Outlook is a very simple email provider. It synchs your addresses to your phone in a blink of an eye and does a great job backing up your contacts. Easy layout, smooth interface, and... well... you get your mail. What else is there to an email account??

-I think windows RT is a fine OS. Just isn't Pro. For some reason, people expect it to be. If you are simply surfing, playing media, and doing basic Tablet functions, you will be happy with it.

-You do not miss apps?? Koolness. But in case you need them, I expect WP to hit the 250,000 threshhold very soon- the vast majority of them decent to high quality.

Let us know what you decide!!! And welcome to our neck of the internet....

Marion Chisholm

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I am not as Techo as you people, but i have had quite a number of Nokia phones over the years, and haven't ever had a problem till i bought this one in April. It is down as often as it is up and running.
? It took me weeks and a lot of help from the people i purchased from, the local Optus Shop, and various friends to be able to contact the internet.
? Each time I wrote a text message it would change to a variety of languages. The only way to cure that was to delete all the other languages.
? Any letters or symbols on the right side of the phone wouldn?t work easily, and still don?t.
? And now the camera won?t work.
* Plus the phone turned off as it ran out of battery very quickly, i charged it and it took three days before i was able to get it on again.
* I have some apps and they were quite fun, but now i can barely see them as they are covered with pop ups offerng to sell me vitamins and a better love life. HOW DO I GET RID OF THOSE.

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I am not as Techo as you people, but i have had quite a number of Nokia phones over the years, and haven't ever had a problem till i bought this one in April. It is down as often as it is up and running.
?It took me weeks and a lot of help from the people i purchased from, the local Optus Shop, and various friends to be able to contact the internet.
?Each time I wrote a text message it would change to a variety of languages. The only way to cure that was to delete all the other languages.
?Any letters or symbols on the right side of the phone wouldn?t work easily, and still don?t.
?And now the camera won?t work.
* Plus the phone turned off as it ran out of battery very quickly, i charged it and it took three days before i was able to get it on again.
* I have some apps and they were quite fun, but now i can barely see them as they are covered with pop ups offerng to sell me vitamins and a better love life. HOW DO I GET RID OF THOSE.

sounds like a fake!

Mabey some kind of Android with a custom launcher?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone tethered a Surface RT to a 920 via internet sharing (or have any comments on the 920's internet sharing capabilities), seeing as the RT has no 3G built in?

I've done so with a 920 and a Surface Pro. It worked fine with no problems although I rarely use it. I'm sure it would be fine with a Surface RT as well. Just make sure you have the latest firmware on the Surface; they recently resolved some issues related to WiFi.

Also, AT&T sells a Beam USB Modem for 4G LTE that is compatible with Windows RT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb