All these accounts!

BruceNo4

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I'm new to WP8 but not Nokia. Just purchased a Lumia 920 to replace my E7. The 920 seems great and I like the new WP8 format. However all these accounts that I needed to register to during the setup have me totally confused.

At one stage I had to enter my old ovi account details (I think it was for the app store, which now works fine, but I might be wrong). I then created a xxxxx@live.com account which my phone seems to be connected to under the "Windows account". I don't seem to actively use this account and I'm not sure what this is for. Sky Drive perhaps? My phone just told me I needed it and had to create it.
Tried unsuccessfully to link my POP3 email account ("Windows phone does not support his server version") and then tried to install the Hotmail connector in my Outlook 2010 to try and get things synced that way. That asked me for my email address and password for what seems to a Hotmail account.

I'm now so confused between the old ovi account, the Microsoft account and now this Hotmail account. Can someone either explain what all these accounts are for or tell me where I can read an explanation.

Thanks
Clueless

Abdullah Jamal

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The @live, @hotmail, @outlook - are all microsoft accounts and u can use any 1 of these to set up your phone and use all the services within your phone (as well as the store). OVI accounts are not needed in windows phones. You may just use one microsoft account(or multiple), perhaps your old hotmail account or your new live account and you should be able to use your phone services just fine including Office and Skydrive. And Hope you like your new Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia 920.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The @live, @hotmail, @outlook - are all microsoft accounts and u can use any 1 of these to set up your phone and use all the services within your phone (as well as the store). OVI accounts are not needed in windows phones. You may just use one microsoft account(or multiple), perhaps your old hotmail account or your new live account and you should be able to use your phone services just fine including Office and Skydrive. And Hope you like your new Windows Phone, Nokia Lumia 920.
HOWEVER, you CAN use an ovi.com account to set up a Microsoft Account.

By that, I mean Ovi Mail.

hotmail.com, live.com and outlook.com accounts are automatically Microsoft Accounts, eliminating once step of the process.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard ⚓ Bruce it's great to hear your enjoying the 920 and I sure you will when you get the account settings done.
Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss