Please Advise, Is Windows Phone Ready To Take Me Back Yet?

chrisripp

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone

I really need some advice from the community because my doubts are really taking hold. It?s a long post but hopefully you guys will be able to set me straight. Is Windows Phone ready to take me back yet?

Let me explain. When WP7 was launched I was at the front of the queue. I bought a HTC HD7 the day it come out in the UK. I loved that phone. Nothing ever went wrong (apart from a little bit of screen tearing in the early days, some of you may remember, when the live titles flashed all different colours). I was bought into the whole refreshing new metro UI. I signed up for a developer account and wrote the London Boris Bikes app and a game called Spudgun Willie and published them both to the Windows Store. The updates slowly rolled along and the HD7 stood up well. Eventually, years later, it gave up the ghost and I used an iPhone 4 from work while I waited two months for Windows Phone 8.

The day it was released in the UK I bought a Lumia 920. What a great bit of kit. Fantastic camera, rock solid and best of all, back on Windows Phone again. However, trouble was afoot. Whenever I tried to connect it via bluetooth to anything, it rebooted itself. Every time, without fail. GDR1 come along which I hoped would resolve it, but no dice. Worse, whenever I ended a call, made or received, when I took the phone away from my ear the screen would stay off. Proximity sensor issues. The only way out was a soft reset (and set the time again). I sent my 920 back to Nokia who sent it back with no info on what they had done to it and it was still just as dysfunctional. Eventually I gave up, ditched to 920 and bought a Nexus 4 while I waited for Windows Phone to mature, hoping GDR2 and GDR3 would iron out these niggling issues.

Last week, cash flow in my favour, I decided it was time to return. I bought a Lumia 925 off of eBay. What a phone. Light, tough, incredible camera. It was so nice to have that Windows Phone keyboard back and wave goodbye to Android. It even worked with bluetooth in my car.

But my joy was short lived. On the second day of having my 925 I pushed the power button and the screen went off. Permanently off. All the buttons were alight, I could force it to take photos and people could ring the phone but the screen refused to come on. Soft resets, changing chargers and holding down buttons had no effect. My stomach drops as I?ve seen all this before 
After about 8 hours and lots of Googling, the battery went flat and when I plugged it in, the screen come back. Ah, just a blip thinks I. To be on the safe side I?ll turn off all the glance screen features. Two days later, the same thing. It come back to life the next day (by now my sim card is back in the Nexus 4) and I performed a factory reset. I?m in touch with the seller to send it back and then last night, bam, no screen again. (I?m waiting for it to come back so I can remove my account then I?m sending it back).

My question then, to you guys in the know; is it always this bad? Does the Windows Phone community live with these kinds of bugs? Or am I just very unlucky? Should I try one more time (avoiding eBay) and buy one last Windows Phone or am I doomed to a life of uninspiring Android?

Thanks for your time chaps, I hope you can advise me one way or the other.

Chris Ripp

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had zero problems with my 925, aside from one freak overheating and one spontaneous reboot. Other than that, it's been problem free. I am so sorry to hear about your gadget troubles! And I regret typing this, but yes, I think you have been unlucky. SO FAR. :)

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My first 925 bricked on me a couple of weeks after I got it. Tmobile happily swapped out a new one and I haven't had any issues with the replacement. I think there was a bad production run for some of the earlier 925s and that's probably the reason yours was sold on eBay.

chrisripp

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi txkimmers. Thanks for your comments. That's a promising sign. How long have you been rocking your 925 for? Are you on GRD2 with Amber?

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I remember the Bluetooth issues with my 920 - it was fixed after the first WP8 update. I still have the same phone (bought it on launch week) and it has been great, no issues. Before that my wife and I both had 900s without hardware issues. In fact the only phone I had to exchange was a Samsung Focus S where the touchscreen stopped working.

Was your eBay purchase a used unit? I have bought all of our phones from dealers (either AT&T or the Microsoft Store), so there is always the possibility of exchanging the phone. I'm not sure you have the same ability to do so in the UK, at least at a reasonable price.

chrisripp

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve. Yeah, I wondered if it was a dodgy one. Probably the same case for my hot off the production line 920 as well.

chrisripp

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi mlekas. Yep, it was used (but only for a few days apparently). I think you have the right idea. If I buy another Lumia, I should shell out and buy it new from someone who will be able to swap it for a replacement if I face these kinds of trouble again.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Proximity sensor issue on Lumia 920 happened to those old Lumia 920 batches that got dust inside front camera over the time. Nokia offered to repair those for free. That was probably a hardware issue on Lumia 925 too.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! The 920 and the 925 are basically the same phone, the biggest difference is the camera is slightly better. I hope you enjoy your phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro