The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-27-2013 09:35 AM
61 123
tools
    Battery life is probably a wash.
    Camera quality goes to the iPhone 5s.
    interesting comment, as far as battery life i would actually give the 5s the SLIGHT edge, however as far as the camera goes, that would depend on which WP your comparing the 5s to. the 5s does, in my opinion, have a better camera than any lumia at or lower than then the 920, however the 925, 1020 and the 1520 all have far better cameras than the 5s, don't get me wrong, apple did a great job on the 5s camera, its no slouch, but if your truly into photography ( and don't want to carry a dedicated camera ) the 5s is no match for the upper end lumias, and excluding the 808, there are no phones currently that can top the cameras in the upper end lumia phones, I will say this however, if your not the type to manually set the camera settings, and you just point and shoot , the 5s can and will hold its own against the 925 in daylight shots, but the 925 will out perform the 5s in low light settings. OP, you cant go wrong with the 5s, even though i would not own one it is a solid phone with a great camera, however given the criteria you laid out the best camera phone you can buy is on the upper end Lumias
    11-26-2013 09:59 AM
    interesting comment, as far as battery life i would actually give the 5s the SLIGHT edge, however as far as the camera goes, that would depend on which WP your comparing the 5s to. the 5s does, in my opinion, have a better camera than any lumia at or lower than then the 920, however the 925, 1020 and the 1520 all have far better cameras than the 5s, don't get me wrong, apple did a great job on the 5s camera, its no slouch, but if your truly into photography ( and don't want to carry a dedicated camera ) the 5s is no match for the upper end lumias, and excluding the 808, there are no phones currently that can top the cameras in the upper end lumia phones, I will say this however, if your not the type to manually set the camera settings, and you just point and shoot , the 5s can and will hold its own against the 925 in daylight shots, but the 925 will out perform the 5s in low light settings. OP, you cant go wrong with the 5s, even though i would not own one it is a solid phone with a great camera, however given the criteria you laid out the best camera phone you can buy is on the upper end Lumias
    Obviously, if you don't manually set the settings, the 5s will do just as well or exceed the 1020 or 1520, according to reviews.
    11-26-2013 10:03 AM
    Obviously, if you don't manually set the settings, the 5s will do just as well or exceed the 1020 or 1520, according to reviews.
    the OP stated his two top criteria were battery and camera QUALITY, not ease of use, so not sure what your argument is, the 925,1020,1520 have the better overall QUALITY cameras
    11-26-2013 10:14 AM
    the OP stated his two top criteria were battery and camera QUALITY, not ease of use, so not sure what your argument is, the 925,1020,1520 have the better overall QUALITY cameras
    No argument. Just stating that "out of the pocket" experience produces better pics on the 5s, according to reviewers. No big deal.
    11-26-2013 10:18 AM
    You're a funny man, and this is a hilarious post.

If one is looking for the "best smartphone camera", why wouldn't one pick the phone with the best camera and adjust the settings to get the best picture out of it? The 1020 has the "best smartphone camera"; if that's what you're looking for, you probably care enough about pictures taken with your smartphone to manually set the settings and take the best picture.

If you want the "fastest camera that takes great pictures", which is what you seem to want to compare the Lumias against, that's a different thing altogether and yeah - the Lumias don't take that title.

But the "best smartphone camera" is the best smartphone camera whether you have to set settings or not. It's... the best.
    11-26-2013 10:21 AM
    don't bother stay with iphone or android. i have windows phone lumia 925 and win phone 8 is just 'window dressing' the 925 is a passable camera, but despite having a 50% faster chip does nothing better than my 2+ year old HTC Desire HD
    none of the skydrive features work properly, yes I have win 8.1 pro pC
    microsoft tried very hard to make some thing DIFFERENT from the other ecosystems, instead of trying to make something BETTER
    so it's different and worse
    11-26-2013 10:25 AM
    Camera quality goes to the iPhone 5s.
    There are two or three WP's that have superior camera AND camera software over the iPhone 5c.
    11-26-2013 10:26 AM
    none of the skydrive features work properly
    You're doing it wrong, Mr. OnePostBasher.
    Microsoftjunkie, dznk and rdubmu like this.
    11-26-2013 10:26 AM
    don't bother stay with iphone or android. i have windows phone lumia 925 and win phone 8 is just 'window dressing' the 925 is a passable camera, but despite having a 50% faster chip does nothing better than my 2+ year old HTC Desire HD
    none of the skydrive features work properly, yes I have win 8.1 pro pC
    microsoft tried very hard to make some thing DIFFERENT from the other ecosystems, instead of trying to make something BETTER
    so it's different and worse
    Oh plz! You don't explain "passable" and have the nerve to compare WP performance with that of a crappy HD desire. What world do you live in?

"None" of the SkyDrive features work? Sounds like you got a 925 from a bad batch.
    11-26-2013 10:28 AM
    You're a funny man, and this is a hilarious post.

If one is looking for the "best smartphone camera", why wouldn't one pick the phone with the best camera and adjust the settings to get the best picture out of it? The 1020 has the "best smartphone camera"; if that's what you're looking for, you probably care enough about pictures taken with your smartphone to manually set the settings and take the best picture.

If you want the "fastest camera that takes great pictures", which is what you seem to want to compare the Lumias against, that's a different thing altogether and yeah - the Lumias don't take that title.

But the "best smartphone camera" is the best smartphone camera whether you have to set settings or not. It's... the best.
    New classification: "Best smartphone camera for 95% of smartphone buyers". Winner is iPhone 5s.

The point is that if you're like the majority of people who want a good point and shoot camera that doesn't require any setup, the iPhone 5s is a superior choice to the Lumia 1020. You're obviously not one of those people who only want to use auto mode so the 1020 is probably a perfect choice for you.
    Last edited by pappy53; 11-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    11-26-2013 10:38 AM
    I looked at this phone yesterday, and I am surprised by how much I liked it. My concern is Nokia being out of the phone business. Where will that leave me with updates etc?
    I could see why you're concerned, but we all know what pressure MS is facing and to take over Nokias responsibility is something they must and will uphold. I've never been short changed by MS. They've always updated their products.
    11-26-2013 10:40 AM
    New classification: "Best smartphone camera for 95% of smartphone buyers". Winner is iPhone 5s.
    Because iPhone takes pic faster than Nokia due to the CPU and camera sensor. Everybody loves speed
    11-26-2013 10:41 AM
    You're a hoot. Go back to iMore. :D
    11-26-2013 10:43 AM
    Because iPhone takes pic faster than Nokia due to the CPU and camera sensor. Everybody loves speed
    What Nokia are you comparing? Everyone knows that if its speed you're looking for and you have a 1020/1520 is that you use stock app.

No other phone(iphone/android) has made a phone with a camera that big running on a "dual-core" S4. Until they do, no one should say what you said.
    11-26-2013 10:48 AM
    I don't know why anyone would want to switch away from iphone. I do not own an iphone nor do I support Apple products in any way. I just figured people who bought an iphone bought it for a specific reason since I cannot see why anyone would buy an iphone. I believe that people who did buy an iphone had something in mind when they chose that device. Maybe because its "cool" or "popular" or something.

Why would you want to choose an iphone when thats the device you chose in the beginning?
    11-26-2013 10:48 AM
    You're a hoot. Go back to iMore. :D
    Truth hurts, huh?
    BTW, I don't use an iPhone at this time.
    11-26-2013 10:50 AM
    Why would you want to choose [something other than] an iphone when thats the device you chose in the beginning?
    For my part? Pre-iOS 7 got stale and boring. Plus I'm an I.T. guy and I like have some knowledge about multiple smartphone OSs because people ask my recommendation frequently. Finally, Microsoft won me over with Windows 8/RT and I'm no longer using Apple desktops/laptops.

I still have a 16gb iPhone 4S which I've updated to iOS 7 and I no longer think it's stale and boring, but I do prefer WP8 now. Sometimes people grow and branch out and want different things than they originally wanted. *shrug*
    11-26-2013 10:53 AM
    No argument. Just stating that "out of the pocket" experience produces better pics on the 5s, according to reviewers. No big deal.
    I think i know where this is going. I won't bother replying to You more, as You keep Your "according to reviewers" part, which You won't even quote here. Everyone can find reviews showing a biased point of view, it's not that hard. Some people would say 5s does better job than most DSLRs on the market just for the sake of it, but should we believe them?
    Technically Lumia 1020 is far superior to 5s, and as I said You can't deny that. Even if WB is slightly off on a picture, it still gets more details, allows You to reframe your picture or to zoom it. You still get better low light photography because of OIS and it's a killer feature for video capture.
    So to sum things up, You get far more advanced camera in 1020 and I can bet my own 1020 that it's going to produce better auto quality pics than 5s. I won't comment Your random googled reviews as I can find other reviews saying 1020 is better.
    Your opinion is a bit flawed as You base it on "someone who I don't even know said it's better, so it has to be" mindset. My 10 years old car is probably better than a Ferrari because I said so?
    People give You solid arguments showing 1020s upper hand but You still stubbornly repeat "I saw reviews saying 5s is better".
    If you're going to find any comprehensive argument showing 5s is better than 1020, You're welcome back here to be treated seriously.

Have a nice day, sir.
    iamtim likes this.
    11-26-2013 10:56 AM
    Truth hurts, huh?
    In order for truth to hurt, it has to be true. :D
    11-26-2013 11:00 AM
    For my part? Pre-iOS 7 got stale and boring. Plus I'm an I.T. guy and I like have some knowledge about multiple smartphone OSs because people ask my recommendation frequently. Finally, Microsoft won me over with Windows 8/RT and I'm no longer using Apple desktops/laptops.

I still have a 16gb iPhone 4S which I've updated to iOS 7 and I no longer think it's stale and boring, but I do prefer WP8 now. Sometimes people grow and branch out and want different things than they originally wanted. *shrug*
    Yeah it makes sense. Basically, what I was getting at is Apple users see something I don't see. Since I could never convince myself to shove out that much money for an Apple product.

I use to use Android and although I am a unbuntu user and like the linux kernal base phones. It was just having too many issues. Android OS was slowing down the device after extended usage. I believe Google fixed that issue with Kit-Kat update.

However, I own too many Microsoft products and the Android phone just didn't fit in the ecosystem. Since I am married now I can't just think for myself and have to think of my wife when I make decisions and WP is easier for her to use than Android. It also allows us to sync between. Surface, PC and xbox.
    11-26-2013 11:07 AM
    I switched to WP8 from an iPhone 4 a year ago when I got the Nokia Lumia 810. Never looked back. I upped to a 920 in May and love it even more. There are plenty of apps in spite of people saying the WP Store "has no apps," and even when you can't find certain official ones, there are always great third party apps in place of them. As far as battery life goes, it depends on your phone and luck. I personally have been getting amazing battery life out of my phone, especially over the past two weeks (mostly been charging it every other day, which I haven't done since my feature phone days).
    dznk and rdubmu like this.
    11-26-2013 11:55 AM
    I think i know where this is going. I won't bother replying to You more, as You keep Your "according to reviewers" part, which You won't even quote here. Everyone can find reviews showing a biased point of view, it's not that hard. Some people would say 5s does better job than most DSLRs on the market just for the sake of it, but should we believe them?
    Technically Lumia 1020 is far superior to 5s, and as I said You can't deny that. Even if WB is slightly off on a picture, it still gets more details, allows You to reframe your picture or to zoom it. You still get better low light photography because of OIS and it's a killer feature for video capture.
    So to sum things up, You get far more advanced camera in 1020 and I can bet my own 1020 that it's going to produce better auto quality pics than 5s. I won't comment Your random googled reviews as I can find other reviews saying 1020 is better.
    Your opinion is a bit flawed as You base it on "someone who I don't even know said it's better, so it has to be" mindset. My 10 years old car is probably better than a Ferrari because I said so?
    People give You solid arguments showing 1020s upper hand but You still stubbornly repeat "I saw reviews saying 5s is better".
    If you're going to find any comprehensive argument showing 5s is better than 1020, You're welcome back here to be treated seriously.

Have a nice day, sir.
    I don't blame you for defending what you have, if that is what you want to do. But I guarantee that you can go to an iPhone forum and find people that have had a 1020 and an iPhone 5s, and swear by the 5s. It's all in the owner's eyes most of the time. I like to read the reviews, because they are normally by people who own neither phone. I'm going to the AT&T store and compare them myself. But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.
    11-26-2013 01:17 PM
    But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.
    Or, like you said, they're not taking the time to optimize the best smartphone camera to take the best smartphone pictures, because that's not what they want.
    11-26-2013 01:53 PM
    I don't blame you for defending what you have, if that is what you want to do. But I guarantee that you can go to an iPhone forum and find people that have had a 1020 and an iPhone 5s, and swear by the 5s. It's all in the owner's eyes most of the time. I like to read the reviews, because they are normally by people who own neither phone. I'm going to the AT&T store and compare them myself. But when the majority of reviews pick the 5s, then there must be some merit to it.
    You still can't grasp my point. And by far I'm not defending my own. You don't have to defend something that defends on its own, because it's plain better and it's proven. Reviewing stuff while having neither of it... really? I mean seriously?... How can You review things you can't even compare, are You being serious?
    You can review worst photo taken with 1020 and compare it to a decent 5s thus conclude "5s is better!". I told You I see where this is going.

@Edit:
    I wanted to apologize OP for using this theard for such discussion.
    11-26-2013 02:21 PM
    You're right it's going a little off topic, but OP did say one of his main concerns was Camera quality and after reading what pappy53 has said, I'd like to add my thoughts. If you want a true test of camera quality between the 5s and 1020, GSMArena here has a Camera shootout review which just reviews image quality and describes the quality of the images in detail and gives you them to see for yourself. Now that's what I call a fair and technical based review. Result - 1020 wins in both categories of still images (good light and low light). In fact in good light the LG G2 beats the 5s. In their summary includes the sentences "The Nokia Lumia 1020 dominated in still photography and did very well in video recording. Nokia's focus on proprietary camera lens apps also makes sure you'll be getting fun new options with the 1020 camera." and "The Nokia Lumia 1020 will reign supreme in imaging for quite some time to come".

I'm not looking to have a debate here, but I don't like reading something that I know isn't true and can't be backed up with any credible evidence. Anybody is allowed to express their opinions, I don't have a problem with that, but to say, with confidence the 5s is better on image quality, is quite frankly laughable. Sure the 5s is better in other areas than the 1020, I don't doubt that and I'm always up for giving credit where it's due, but with image quality, the 1020 is simply the king.
    11-26-2013 03:43 PM
61 123