considering a switch from iPhone

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm a longtime Windows PC user, currently using 8.1, and have been using a iPhone for 3 years. I have played around with a few windows phones at the store, but would like a real world recommendation if I could get one. I'm on At&t and would like to stay with them. My main concern is battery life and camera quality.

Thank you in advance.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm a longtime Windows PC user, currently using 8.1, and have been using a iPhone for 3 years. I have played around with a few windows phones at the store, but would like a real world recommendation if I could get one. I'm on At&t and would like to stay with them. My main concern is battery life and camera quality.

Thank you in advance.

Battery life is probably a wash.
Camera quality goes to the iPhone 5s.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 has an amazing camera that will blow away the 5s. The 1020 battery is only 2000 mah but you can get a camera grip that adds another 1000mah along with a better shutter key and a tripod mount.

I myself got a 1520 and the camera seems on par with the 5s. I still need to test it some more.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Since you're on Att, you could possibly get the Lumia 9.2.5. Camera is better than other 9 series Lumias due to its 6th lens. Battery life, from these forums, are great. I have an 8x with a smaller battery and I can get over a days use. So the 925 camera should be equal with the 5s and will only get better once Nokia releases its tweaks and upcoming updates.

Plus its the best looking 9 series.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like the Lumia 925 that recently landed on At&t would be a good fit for you.

?Camera is excellent! (One of the best on a modern day smartphone)

?4.5" AMOLED display. (Beautiful deep blacks which look amazing on the black theme of WP)

?2000mAh battery. (I don't own one but, it should get you through your day with a single charge)

?Build quality is top notch.

That's just a few of the reasons why I would recommend you to check out the 925.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to WPC and like some already said the 925 seems like a good fit try it out in a store also take a look at the 1520 which is a beast of a WP device.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Checkout the Lumia 1520 if you are alright with a huge phone. Should satisfy your battery life and camera requirements.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

doeboi

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is probably a wash.
Camera quality goes to the iPhone 5s.
this guy is probably high, i don't know how battery life or camera quality goes to the 5s, but i use a 620 with a much smaller battery (1300mah) and it takes me through a whole day (10 hours), i think the lumia 925 wiIl do you a lot of good with its 2000mah battery, and no 8mp camera is as good as that of the 925.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
this guy is probably high, i don't know how battery life or camera quality goes to the 5s, but i use a 620 with a much smaller battery (1300mah) and it takes me through a whole day (10 hours), i think the lumia 925 wiIl do you a lot of good with its 2000mah battery, and no 8mp camera is as good as that of the 925.
Per daniel r's review on this very website....The problem with doing in-depth camera analysis like this is we end up getting hooked on the minutia. To be honest, it wasn’t until we started looking at cropped photos on 27-inch IPS/Anti Glare display at 2560 X 1440 resolution (and Adobe RGB, natch) did we notice that the iPhone 5S’s photos were often (not always) superior to the Lumia 925.

doeboi

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Per daniel r's review on this very website....The problem with doing in-depth camera analysis like this is we end up getting hooked on the minutia. To be honest, it wasn?t until we started looking at cropped photos on 27-inch IPS/Anti Glare display at 2560 X 1440 resolution (and Adobe RGB, natch) did we notice that the iPhone 5S?s photos were often (not always) superior to the Lumia 925.
i can't disagree with you, but those r just tests, in real world situations where the ois kicks in pictures usually come out better on my friend's 925, as compared to his dad's 5s, although the iPhone's seemed to be more sharpened in some situations

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 has an amazing camera that will blow away the 5s. The 1020 battery is only 2000 mah but you can get a camera grip that adds another 1000mah along with a better shutter key and a tripod mount.

I myself got a 1520 and the camera seems on par with the 5s. I still need to test it some more.

I can't speak from personal experience, as I have not owned a 1020 or 1520. But I did Google "1020 camera vs. iPhone 5s camera", and the 5 sites that I picked at random all chose the iPhone 5s. I doubt that this was a coincidence. They seem to be saying that if you have time to set up the 1020 before a shot that it will take a great pic, but for "out of the pocket" experience, the 5s takes the honors

" and no 8mp camera is as good as that of the 925."

See above^

doeboi

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak from personal experience, as I have not owned a 1020 or 1520. But I did Google "1020 camera vs. iPhone 5s camera", and the 5 sites that I picked at random all chose the iPhone 5s. I doubt that this was a coincidence. They seem to be saying that if you have time to set up the 1020 before a shot that it will take a great pic, but for "out of the pocket" experience, the 5s takes the honors

" and no 8mp camera is as good as that of the 925."

See above^
most of those review sites are biased towards apple, like the verge and cnet(molly wood), in most categories the iphone won on speed hence "out of pocket experience" the 1020 camera takes a 38mp and 5mp image at the same time, if u set the 1020 to take only a 5mp image you are going to get the best in class "out of pocket experience"

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
@doeboi

"most of those review sites are biased towards apple"
Oh, okay, that must be what it is. The sites are wrong, unless they lean towards WP8. /s :wink:

El-Macho

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Since you're on Att, you could possibly get the Lumia 9.2.5. Camera is better than other 9 series Lumias due to its 6th lens. Battery life, from these forums, are great. I have an 8x with a smaller battery and I can get over a days use. So the 925 camera should be equal with the 5s and will only get better once Nokia releases its tweaks and upcoming updates.

And it really has a premium feel. I know a lot of wp-fans say this. But seriously..I just bought one at an expo where I played with both L925 and HTC One. The L925 was less slippery and seriously provided a premium feel when held. Just voicing my opinion but..to each his own choice..:)

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I looked at this phone yesterday, and I am surprised by how much I liked it. My concern is Nokia being out of the phone business. Where will that leave me with updates etc?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I looked at this phone yesterday, and I am surprised by how much I liked it. My concern is Nokia being out of the phone business. Where will that leave me with updates etc?

You will be fine for updates and when Nokia does get taken over by MS they will work together and bring out update faster since they will be under the same house.

yaynative

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
You will be fine for updates and when Nokia does get taken over by MS they will work together and bring out update faster since they will be under the same house.

That puts me at ease, I was an android user before the iPhone, and I never got an update. There was an acknowledged software bug that they never updated even after promising to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb